C Drive won't stay shared

Thread: C Drive won't stay shared

C Drive won't stay shared

Running 4 computers all WinXP Home on workgroup named "MSHOME". The C Drive on one of the computers will not remain shared after reboot. All the other shared drives and folders remain shared. All 4 are on a Linksys router and and a Com21 Comcast Modem. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Bill Schroeder

Pops is this the default C$ share or a new share you have created? Is simple file sharing on or off? (to turn it off you have to login to safe mode as administrator).

Does the hand disappear under the drive or do you just get an error message about permission?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for responding

Not sure what you mean by "Default C$". It is the only "C" on that computer. I am also a little confused about "simple file sharing". I used the wizard to create the network. If I am on computer 2, 3 or 4 (assuming offending computer is 1) clicking on computer 1 in "View Workgroup Computers" bring up an error message about not having permission until I go to computer 1 and redo the share on C drive. By the way, the shares on the other drives remains shared although I still can't access them until I redo the share on C. Hope this is not too yada, yada, yada. I am a little new to this.
    Bill Schroeder

Follow up

After doing some online research I have a couple of answers. The C Drive is just plain C and as I understand it "Use Simple file sharing" is only on XPpro and all of these computers are XPHome.
    Bill Schroeder

Pss

I just remembered that when I was setting up the network on the 4 computers I could not change the workgroup name of the offending computer. I could change it during a session, but it would revert back to "MSHOME" after a reboot.
    Bill Schroeder

OK, so how exactly are you creating the C share?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK, so how exactly are you creating the C share?
    From My Computer, right click on C drive and go to Sharing.
    Bill Schroeder

And then what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    And then what do you do?
    I have sharred the C drive by using the wizard and when that didn't keep the workgroup name I tried and do it by just clicking on the share dialog.
    Bill Schroeder

OK so we have two separate problems here, one is that the workgroup name won't stick and the other is the share won't stick.

Right Click my computer, properties, computer name tab, change button - is domain or workgroup radio button checked? Have you put the workgroup name in there? Have you tried doing this in safe mode?

Thank you for your help NoNo. The workgroup button is checked and the MSHOME is there. And yes I did try this in Safe Mode. I gave up and let the name MSHOME be the name after trying everything to change it to the other name. I should explain that I am not completely new to this as I have set up several networks for customers. I had been reluctant to get into networking as my plate had been full, but I do find it interesting and customers were insisting. Thanks again for you patience and help.
    Bill Schroeder

By the sounds of it, the wizard set the name to mshome and for some reason, (like system restore perhaps?) wants to keep it.

Personally I don't have that problem, but then I use XP Pro.