Backup Network

Thread: Backup Network

Backup Network

Hi,

Does anyone have any general pointers on setting up a backup network? Pointing out potential pitfalls would also be most helpful. I like to learn from the mistakes of others rather than from my own -- bolsters my fragile ego

I did lots of MCSE test questions on setting up a backup network, but that was a long time ago. Other than for general concepts memory is now dim.

I would like to have the network backup run over a separate/parallel network. The main network is 10/100. The backup network would be gigabit over Cat5e (very short cable runs).

The purpose of creating the backup network is to reduce the time required for the backup to run, switching the bottle neck from the speed 10/100 network to the speed of the SDLT drives.

OSs involved: W2K servers and some W2K workstation boxes.
    Last edited by houseisland; March 4th, 2004 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland
    Hi,

Does anyone have any general pointers on setting up a backup network? Pointing out potential pitfalls would also be most helpful. I like to learn from the mistakes of others rather than from my own -- bolsters my fragile ego

I did lots of MCSE test questions on setting up a backup network, but that was a long time ago. Other than for general concepts memory is now dim.

I would like to have the network backup run over a separate/parallel network. The main network is 10/100. The backup network would be gigabit over Cat5e (very short cable runs).

The purpose of creating the backup network is to reduce the time required for the backup to run, switching the bottle neck from the speed 10/100 network to the speed of the SDLT drives.

Clarification involved here ;-) Are you asking about creating a redundant network to the primary as a fail-safe incase the primary stops for some ungodly reason? OR are you attempting to say that you want to create a seperate setup to do BACKUPS of the primary network?

Phaeton

Get a NAS system (Network Attached Storage). Here is one that I have seen running that works like a dream.
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

Quote Originally Posted by nunob
    Get a NAS system (Network Attached Storage). Here is one that I have seen running that works like a dream.
    I agree I think I kind of understand what you are asking houseisland and would suggest that what you might want to do (if I'm understanding you correctly) is get yourself a gigabit switch and some gigabit cards. put your server(s) and NAS on the gigabit switch so the connection to them is nice and fast. then link the gigabit switch to your 10/100 switch(es) which connect your workstations and printers.

I think that would accomplish what you want. I don't think you'd need to set up the servers and NAS to a different IP/subnet and put a router between the two switches to get the full 1gbps on the backend but my brains not functioning well this afternoon - time for nappy - so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Backup Network

I have done what you are asking about. 2 nics in each machine 10/100 and gigabit. 10/100 switch and gigabit switch. You will setup 2 entirely separate networks. Each network will be on its own IP subnet (in my case 10/100=192.168.11.xxx and gigabit=192.168.33.xxx). I have a separate Win 2K3 Server that only runs the backup software (Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 - 9.1) and has the tape library (SDLT 2.2 terabyte) attached directly. I backup 10 servers which are a combination of Win2k, Win2k3, Exchange 2k, SQL Server 2K, and IIS 5 and 6. A full backup is about 300 GB and takes about 14 hours for backup and verify. Incremental backups are about 50 GB and take about 2 hours for backup and verify. The backup is set to run only over the gigabit (192.168.33.xxx) network.

i hope this has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah
    I have done what you are asking about. 2 nics in each machine 10/100 and gigabit. 10/100 switch and gigabit switch. You will setup 2 entirely separate networks. Each network will be on its own IP subnet (in my case 10/100=192.168.11.xxx and gigabit=192.168.33.xxx). I have a separate Win 2K3 Server that only runs the backup software (Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 - 9.1) and has the tape library (SDLT 2.2 terabyte) attached directly. I backup 10 servers which are a combination of Win2k, Win2k3, Exchange 2k, SQL Server 2K, and IIS 5 and 6. A full backup is about 300 GB and takes about 14 hours for backup and verify. Incremental backups are about 50 GB and take about 2 hours for backup and verify. The backup is set to run only over the gigabit (192.168.33.xxx) network.

i hope this has helped.
    2 nics in each machine? wouldn't it be easier just to pop a small router between your 2 switches? I'm not being a jacka$$ just thinking about it.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

i hope this has helped.
    BlahBlahBlah,

This is exactly what I am interested in.

What considerations are there for DNS and Active Directory?

Would you do it like this?

Backup Net Side NICs with static IPs

DNS set to DNS server's Backup-Network-side NIC's IP address

No gateway -- no routing between LAN and Backup Network

No DHCP scope for Backup Network

Thanks.