Intel Motherboard Support of Prescott CPU

Thread: Intel Motherboard Support of Prescott CPU

Question Intel Motherboard Support of Prescott CPU

I purchased an Intel Boxed M/B - D865PERLL along with a Retail P4 - 2.80e (1mb L2). Just for curiosity I checked the Intel site for CPU compatibility. On the box the board claims it supports cpu's of 1.60a, 1.80a, 2a, 2.20 GHz or Higher. The web sites Supported Processors page lists all the Prescott chips with comments saying that "The following revisions (AA numbers) support these processors". They go on to list the revision numbers. My board falls into this category: C27646-208 and the notes say the CPU is supported in revisions C27646-210 or later. The notes go on to say if your 6 digit main number is not listed in the table, contact your system manufacturer for processor support information. Since this was a retail purchase, I checked for the support number for Intel and found out it is a Pay Per Incident number. Does anyone know if this is just a case of a possible bios upgrade that will allow the CPU to be supported? Or will my board just not be able to use the cpu I purchased at all.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

Fire it up, it will either work or not.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Fire it up, it will either work or not.
    Darn right.
    Although it could be somewhere in between.
    The first P3 I tested was on a board that didn't properly ID it (showed up as "Unknown CPU - 450mhz"), and it ran really slow......over 1.5 hours to install Win98, etc. That time, a BIOS update took care of it, I believe. That may be your experience.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

865 pearl

it is a matter of upgrading to the lattest bios... I got the same setup and upgraded to the latest bios and it's working fine. The latest bios number looks like this:
    BIOS version P14 (RL86510A.86A.0073.P14.0402030948)

You need anything that is P9 and above.....

Here are my system specs and it's running very good.

I N T E L (R) A C T I V E M O N I T O R

System Information Report
    3/20/2004 6:44:16 PM

************************************************** *************************
    General Information
    Product name Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL based system
    Board model Genuine Intel(R) D865PERL system board
    OS version Windows* XP version 5.1 Service Pack 1 build 2600
    OS memory 1,047,216 KB RAM

Processor
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Bus speed 800 MHz
    L1 cache Data Cache 8KB, Execution Trace Cache 12K Micro-ops
    L2 cache Advanced Transfer Cache 1024 KB
    Form factor Socket 478
    Stepping 3

System
    Physical memory 1,024 MB RAM
    Memory speed DDR400
    Memory type DDR, Synchronous
    Form factor DIMM
    BIOS date 02/03/2004
    BIOS size 512 KB

By the way does anybody know at what temp is this board suppost to be working at..... How hot can it get before i need to worry. Mine is getting up to about 52C when i'm playing games.
    Last edited by rhythm; March 24th, 2004 at 08:55 AM.

Was your "AA" number one of the supported ones? I have P13 bios but still do not think it will support the prescott properly. I read something about some kind of hight voltage requirement or insufficient voltage regulators? FMB 1.5 which is not supported in the boards with the above mentioned "aa" numbers.

I have the C27646-208 which is not one of the newer revisions that support Prescott or Extreme Edition CPU's.
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

Quote Originally Posted by rhythm
    it is a matter of upgrading to the lattest bios... I got the same setup and upgraded to the latest bios and it's working fine. The latest bios number looks like this:

You need anything that is P9 and above.....

Here are my system specs and it's running very good.

I N T E L (R) A C T I V E M O N I T O R

System Information Report
    3/20/2004 6:44:16 PM

General Information
    Product name Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL based system
    Board model Genuine Intel(R) D865PERL system board
    OS version Windows* XP version 5.1 Service Pack 1 build 2600
    OS memory 1,047,216 KB RAM

Processor
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Bus speed 800 MHz
    L1 cache Data Cache 8KB, Execution Trace Cache 12K Micro-ops
    L2 cache Advanced Transfer Cache 1024 KB
    Form factor Socket 478
    Stepping 3

System
    Physical memory 1,024 MB RAM
    Memory speed DDR400
    Memory type DDR, Synchronous
    Form factor DIMM
    BIOS date 02/03/2004
    BIOS size 512 KB

By the way does anybody know at what temp is this board suppost to be working at..... How hot can it get before i need to worry. Mine is getting up to about 52C when i'm playing games.
    From every article I have read about Prescott CPU's 52c with a heavy load was about high/average with standard heatsink/fan combo. Whats the cpu temp at Idle?
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Looks like your board isn't listed.

http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...rl/rl_proc.htm

If you purchased the board and processor together, contact the vendor and see if they will exchange the board for another thats more updated//
    After all they sold you board and processor that don't work together....

Note: Silverman = I will get better readings and post them later.... Do you know how hot can this board get?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCardMan
    Was your "AA" number one of the supported ones? I have P13 bios but still do not think it will support the prescott properly. I read something about some kind of hight voltage requirement or insufficient voltage regulators? FMB 1.5 which is not supported in the boards with the above mentioned "aa" numbers.

I have the C27646-208 which is not one of the newer revisions that support Prescott or Extreme Edition CPU's.

The cpu temp at Idle is 47/48c // the board is at 38c when Idle but it gets at about 52c and thats what i'm really checking for...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverman
    From every article I have read about Prescott CPU's 52c with a heavy load was about high/average with standard heatsink/fan combo. Whats the cpu temp at Idle?

Quote Originally Posted by rhythm
    The cpu temp at Idle is 47/48c // the board is at 38c when Idle but it gets at about 52c and thats what i'm really checking for...
    Prescott Temps can get near the water boiling point which I guess is normal.
    What affect this will have on the mainboards over time is anyones guess. I read an article on some other websight that listed a mainboard manufacturer disabling voltage tweaks on some i875 boards either at manufacture level or via bios updates for safety reasons as a direct result of the high temps exhibited by the Prescott. I can only hope that Intel does some core tweaks during processing that might help bring the temps down some.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov