Stupid user of the day
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid user of the day

Stupid user of the day

Well, i was sitting here, in the middle of my lunch break when the phone rings. I hesitated..but then decided that i better answer it. This guy tells me that his computer isnt working. He was using Lotus Notes and suddenly something popped up and now he is at a screen he never saw before.

I ama little angry that this moron decided to disturb my lunch break, but decide to go help him anyway. so i walk down to the production floor half way across the building (large building) to find that this guy is nowhere to be found. So,i walk over to his pc to see what was going on..and what do i see? The BIOS screen. Now i have no idea how he got from a Lotus Notes error to the bios screen without realizing it. I reboot his PC and it boots back into windows. OF course i dont know his password and since he isnt there, i have no way of determining if he really had a legit problem or if this was just a PEBKAC issue.

What an ***.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

YA, plenti of dummies about, we had one guy in chat yesterday, asking what ports VPN uses.. Now depending on what auth(ipesc, pptp) your using it changes.. So i asked him how he was authenticating.. answer i got was "user/pass"

He had apparently setup a vpn server before..
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

As Auric pointed out... must be a full moon today....

That and the quote of the day in the Chatroom

« yayabago » i know for a fact you can go into bios and the power supply will run without a cpu
    Last edited by NooNoo; March 8th, 2004 at 02:32 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

haha..thats a good one.

unfortunatly i have to retract my story. as it turns out..this happend twice more today. apparently somthing is wrong with the hard drive. the pc crashed and rebooted, didnt detect the hard drive. it is an old IBM...in which whenever anything changes, it goes into the bios and asks you to confirm it.

since it didnt find the hard drive, it wanted you to confirm that it is missing. i didnt notice this the first time..i just cycled the power...but today i picked up on it. I took it apart, and reseated the cables, rebooted and it was fine

apparently a little while later it happened again. so as it turns out, this guy isnt a total ***...he just has a stupid PC.

also, the fan in the power supply quit working. when i took the cover off of the case and reached inside..the top of the chassis was hot enough that i had to pull my hand away when touching it.

it is a stupid case with a small, proprietary power supply...so he is getting a new PC...and evadeds being labeled a stupid user...at least this time
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

You should change the name of the thread to "stupid tech of the day"...

??

can't a vpn be setup in a few clicks?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_C
    can't a vpn be setup in a few clicks?

I take it you've never setup VPN either then?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

maybe we're talking about different vpn's...I mean Virtual Private Networking, I may have had to type a few things but it was generally easy to set up...
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_C
    maybe we're talking about different vpn's...I mean Virtual Private Networking, I may have had to type a few things but it was generally easy to set up...

Connecting to maybe, but setting up a VPN server properly with IPSEC support is not "a few clicks"
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

oh yeah lol, well, I guess it was just a few clicks for that, though it was mostly typing. I have one set up over here because I simply don't want to get up.
    Daniel

Okay, so if the new thread is "Stupid tech of the day" I'm going to give my stupid moment.

It was with the dumbest user I have in my area. Dumb as a rock.
    She had a problem with the printer not printing.
    Hello, it's out of ink!
    It's a Sharp AR-287 Scanner/Printer. Anyone familiar with them? Sadistic design with a bottle of powdered ink you have to turn upside-down. Bad design, cheap plastic parts...
    So I tilt the bottle upside-down in it's slot, shove it over like I'm supposed to, and pull the tab. The tab broke off when only partially open. This is a not-so-uncommon problem with these Sharps and all our techs have had this same disaster.
    Then the user (the one that is allegedly dumber than a rock) says she wants us to stop everything so the explosion of ink doesn't happen, then get my boss.
    Me, I go, "She'll have the same problem I do. I need to figure this out."
    So I start to jiggle and, famous last words, the user (uh, dummber than a rock, right?) says, "Oh, I'm scared," and stands back just in time as I proceed to cause the predicted explosion of ink. Okay only half the bottle. Other techs have spilled entire bottles.
    But they didn't have the dumbest user giving them the right advice at the very last instant and being ignored.
    So I tell myself, "If she's dumber than a rock... what's that make me?"
    Doh!

The next time a tech ran to me with the problem, I got him out of it without an explosion.
    Hopefully I'm smart as a board, now. Someday soon, I hope to be smart as a board with a nail in it.

so

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    YA, plenti of dummies about, we had one guy in chat yesterday, asking what ports VPN uses.. Now depending on what auth(ipesc, pptp) your using it changes.. So i asked him how he was authenticating.. answer i got was "user/pass"

He had apparently setup a vpn server before..

So what, he didn't understand......THAT IS a proper answer.....user/pass IS a way to authenticate, CHAP, vs PAP, etc.......don't be so ****ing elitist...........comments like that are why techies are considered to be snobs......
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioIlya
    So what, he didn't understand......THAT IS a proper answer.....user/pass IS a way to authenticate, CHAP, vs PAP, etc.......don't be so ****ing elitist...........comments like that are why techies are considered to be snobs......

And comments like yours make you a punk @sshole.....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

no

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    No i'm just laying it down like it is....this is why I have like 1 friend who is a techie........i can't stand the 'under-appreciated genius' bull**** that I see so much....
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Hey Doc, I don't mean to but in, but Matt did come off like a tard looking down his nose; Scorp was just calling him on it. I think the debate should be between them, none of this ganging up, Matt can handle the retort I am sure.

We all know that ETOX/Danial_C has a reputation for less than adequate intelligence, but he is learning and should be allowed to grow. And ScorpuioIlya will forever be know as a script kiddie…but let’s put that behind us and move on, I think he is starting to prove himself. Let these guys be, so that we can all live in harmony!~~(In my best Maiah falsetto)