xp pro install problem

Thread: xp pro install problem

xp pro install problem

To install windows xp on my machine i first install windows me (windows xp won't install in dos mode). After that install i try to install windows xp pro. The install starts fine but then after the reboot it hangs at the "setup is copying files" blue screen. I do not get any errors, it just hangs. I've installed xp on this computer before from the same disc and this has never happened before. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

To install boot from the WinXP CD. You might have to change the boot sequence in BIOS. Then you don't need to install Me first, so you can format with NTFS. Also give it some time, there are few files that take long to copy.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    To install boot from the WinXP CD. You might have to change the boot sequence in BIOS. Then you don't need to install Me first, so you can format with NTFS. Also give it some time, there are few files that take long to copy.
    This is a much better way to do the install.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I've already tried to boot from the windows xp install cd. It tells me that it can not load from ms-dos mode.

To boot from CD you need to have the CD in the drive when you turn your computer on. You will be prompted to press a key to boot from the CD. If you don't, then the computer will boot from the hard drive. But again, this assumes that your CD-ROM drive is the first device in the boot order list.

I've already tried this option. However, no matter if i do this or not the install still hangs while "setup is copying files". The last few times i tried it has hung and 2% on the file urlmon.dll. Any ideas?

To boot from CD you need to have the CD in the drive when you turn your computer on. You will be prompted to press a key to boot from the CD. If you don't, then the computer will boot from the hard drive. But again, this assumes that your CD-ROM drive is the first device in the boot order list.

Looks like scratched or dirty CD (or drive). Try with another CD if you can get one. Or another drive if you have a spare.

I tried to use a windows 2000 install cd and the same thing happened. Could the ide cable be at fault?

Looks like scratched or dirty CD (or drive). Try with another CD if you can get one. Or another drive if you have a spare.

I haven't seen many bad cables. Most likely a partially disconnected connector or a memory issue. I would run DOCMEM for the peace of mind. Let it do 5-6 passes in burn-in mode. Also clean the lenses of your drive to be sure that you don't have read problems. If problems still persist try to connect the CD drive on a sepparate cable (if it's slave on your hard drive at this moment).

If you have a good install cd and cd cleanong doesn't help then the cd-rom is gone. Happens a lot.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

I've tried it with three different cdroms. it does the same thing with all three.

Quote Originally Posted by eboyjones
    If you have a good install cd and cd cleanong doesn't help then the cd-rom is gone. Happens a lot.

Did you swap out the cable?
    How are the jumpers set?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."