Hi All,

I am running windows xp

I am having problems running connecting my mp3 player / mass storage device. I recently bought another mp3 player and when I connected it to the USB it detected it correctly and started installing the drivers but then a message on the task bar informed me that the driver installation was not successful and that the mp3 player may not work.

At first I thought it was conflicting with my previous USB mp3 player which still works fine. I unintalled all mass storage deivce drivers (through the device manager) and then tried reinstalling the second mp3 player. Same error. I inserted the original working mp3 player and that installed correctly.

I restarted the machine and booted up in windows safe mode. I inserted the new mp3 player and this time it has installed correctly and functions correctly. The new mp3 player also works fine on a work computer with win98 installed (also has the original mp3 player working on it) and another work XP machine.

I have no idea why its not working with my XP booting in normal mode. I have drives on C, D, and E with no networked drives so it should be fine connecting to F. I have tried disconnecting all other USB devices and booting up windows but still the same problem. I have checked the driver details in safe mode with new mp3 player and it is using the same mass storage device drivers as the original working mp3 player in normal boot up.

Anyone know what the difference could be between loading XP in safe mode and loading in normal mode ? ? ?

Any help is gratefully received.

Deon