Input Issues on Dell Inspiron 8200
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Input Issues on Dell Inspiron 8200

Angry Input Issues on Dell Inspiron 8200

This has to be one of the more annoying problems I've come across. Lately, I've noticed that while moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard, there seems to be a slight delay (of not more than a half-second). For example, if I'm moving the mouse down, while the cursor is moving, then sometimes, the cursor stops moving for half a second, and keeps moving in the direction I was moving the mouse. On the keyboard, this happens while I am typing; I'll be typing away, and occasionally there's a slight pause in my keystrokes to what comes up on the screen. I may have physically typed in what I wanted to, but there's sometimes a millisecond delay for the characters to show up on the screen.

I haven't really noticed this affecting anything else, although if my WinXP startup times are longer than normal, then this occurs (and they have been consistently longer than normal as of late).

What's up? Is there a program that's trying to access something or another and is not working properly or what?

P.S. I have ZoneAlarm, PeerGuardian, Symantic AV, Linksys WPC54G utility, and the ALPS Touchpoint utility load up on startup.
    "I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison." - WC Fields

Would it be safe to say that you are online when typing?

Get rid of your P2P and see if things improve.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

these problems could also maybe be a keyboard problem. I replace dell keyboards all the time at work. The drifting mouse problem is definetly a common dell kybd problem. i would say isolate and other programs, check the mouse settings in the alps util, control panel.. lastly you could d/l the dell diagnostics program, run the symptoms test (only with the gui diags) and run the drift test dude..

let us know if you have any luck
    Disc Golf Rules! www.pdga.com

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Dude, You're getting a Dell is code for dude, you just got screwed. I appreciate the business, though, failed hard drives, and failed power supplies. The month of February yielded 18 Dell services, this is out of warranty services.

Well it's not just a keyboard/mouse issue apparently. When I play music in Winamp, the sound skips occasionally; and it has nothing to do with the mp3 file(s) itself since they work fine on my desktop at home.

In regards to P2P programs NooNoo, I have Kazaa Lite K++ (which I just uninstalled about a few days ago since I don't really use it), and I also have DC++. I don't have either one of these programs start up when WinXP starts up. I uninstalled the Linksys Utility since WinXP would pause during startup when I got into the GUI to load the program, but that apparently wasn't the problem. I didn't uninstall the P2P since this problem came up just recently, and it never came up before (I've had the P2P programs for a while now).

I ran a spyware/adware check with SpyBot and Ad-Aware, and cleared all that crap out, and I defragged the system, but that really didn't help any. The only thing I haven't done yet is virus scanned the system (I did scan for viruses last month, but there was nothing, and this problem had not shown up). Could ZoneAlarm be causing these problems (I never had them before even with ZoneAlarm; do I even need ZoneAlarm since I'm behind a router which I think has a firewall built into it?)

Question to MobilePCPhysician: I'm confused on what you are trying to say, please clarify.
    "I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison." - WC Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Paco L 250
    Well it's not just a keyboard/mouse issue apparently...

In regards to P2P programs NooNoo, I have Kazaa Lite K++ (which I just uninstalled about a few days ago since I don't really use it), and I also have DC++...

I ran a spyware/adware check with SpyBot and Ad-Aware, and cleared all that crap out, and I defragged the system, but that really didn't help any. The only thing I haven't done yet is virus scanned the system (I did scan for viruses last month, but there was nothing, and this problem had not shown up). Could ZoneAlarm be causing these problems (I never had them before even with ZoneAlarm; do I even need ZoneAlarm since I'm behind a router which I think has a firewall built into it?)

Question to MobilePCPhysician: I'm confused on what you are trying to say, please clarify.
    I'll answer the last bit first with my phsyic tech powers - he means Dell are 'pants' -I'm confus-ed ... not you ! ...

So lets try HijackThis 'the daddy' of malware removers - hard to use but much more effective than anything except Fdisk ! (if you are unsure post the very long log it generates)... & get Virus scanning with something up-to-date now !

Firewalls in routers don't work 'like' software firewalls - my recommendation unless you know how to correctly configure your router & have some application to do 'white-listing' (which you can't or you wouldn't be asking !) is to stick with both & figure out how to configure them correctly

So here I think I'd remove all p2p proggies, virus scan, clear all my zone alarm rules {which might currently let a p2p open non standard ports, which 'something else' might like} run hijackthis, clear all 'nasties' & then re-test ... or your windows install might just be FUBAR-ed from you continually trying stuff out which doesn't uninstall correctly as many 'free' things do ...

Well I uninstalled DC++, ran Symantic Virus Scan (which was the latest updated version; nothing bad was found), cleared all Zone Alarm rules (as in what programs got access and such), and ran HijackThis. I got a whole bunch of stuff and I wasn't sure which to remove so I'm going to post the log file (I did remove a couple of things, but I don't remember which; they didn't seem important at all anyhow). I also ran the various other programs made by the maker of HijackThis, and there wasn't anything showing up then either.

Anyhow, I reboot the comp after I ran HijackThis, and apparently, the problem seemed solved...no mouse skipping issues, no mp3s skipping in Winamp, and no keyboard typing issues. Now here's what got me confused: I've reboot the laptop a few times before when this problem came up previously, and that solved the problem...and all I had done was run SpyBot and Ad-Aware; DC++ was still on the comp, and I hadn't even done a virus scan...weird I say.

Anyway, here's the Hijack This log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 12:01:27 AM, on 3/23/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\DefWatch.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\Rtvscan.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    E:\Downloads\Programs\HijackThis v1.97.7.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.uconn.edu:80
    N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csea rchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Raj K. Ghetia\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\idnzy8aw.slt\prefs.j s)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {83DE62E0-5805-11D8-9B25-00E04C60FAF2} - C:\WINDOWS\2_0_1browserhelper2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\AOL Instant Messenger\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DOWNLO~1\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DOWNLO~1\dapextie2.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) -
    http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
    O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} (SysData Class) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdq/downloads/sysinfo.cab
    O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/ActiveSecurity.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37879.3911574074
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E7D2588A-7FB5-47DC-8830-832605661009} (Live Collaboration) - https://liveca06.custhelp.com/6006-b266h/rnl/java/RntX.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F5131C24-E56D-11CF-B78A-444553540000} (Ikonic Menu Control) - http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/iptdweb/ikcntrls.cab

I'm really wondering what the problem might be since as of me posting this, it's apparently solved. I had left the computer off for a day or two before I read confus-ed's latest post, and the problem was still there. After I ran all this, no problems. I'm going to re-install DC++, and see what happens; when I used it, I had to manually open a port in my router in order to download/upload anything at all, so who knows if that was the problem.

I'd appreciate it if anybody could maybe expand upon this whackiness. In the meantime, thanks so far.

My Hijack this log has 7 entries in it ! so that's the 'ideal' situation

No bloomin' wonder you can't fathom whats up !

So Direct Connect looks to be the issue as
    ..and apparently, the problem seemed solved...no mouse skipping issues, no mp3s skipping in Winamp, and no keyboard typing issues. Now here's what got me confused: I've reboot the laptop a few times before when this problem came up previously, and that solved the problem...and all I had done was run SpyBot and Ad-Aware; DC++ was still on the comp, and I hadn't even done a virus scan...weird I say.
    Predictable I say ! ..

All those flipping apps have got to interact & load sucessfully, or else they won't work 'good' .. I ain't even gone through them for 'nasties' yet (you can get googling or wait for some kind hearted soul to wade through all that lot & explain it ! .. when I have a spare 'while' I'll endeavour to return .. hopefully you'll get 'lucky' with someone else - & save me a job ..)

Angry

Well, I've done all I could in terms of using spyware and adware checkers (I've used SpyBot, Ad-Aware, and Spy Sweeper), and I've done virus scanning with the latest definitions, etc. The only thing I can now think of, in terms of software issues, is a possible registry issue. Could there be something wrong with the registry? I haven't used a registry cleaner, etc. yet, but I want somebody else to take a look at the Hijack This log I've posted above before I continue on.

I'm also wondering if it's a hardware issue all of a sudden. I'm thinking faulty RAM or a ready-to-die HDD. Neither of those should be the case since this laptop worked like clockwork before. I'd be pissed if that's the case; I'm now been out of warranty for only a month and a half, and I expect this laptop to last longer than one freakin' year.

Then again, could it be an issue with the PC cards I have in the comp? I have a Belkin USB 2.0 card and Linksys Wireless G card in both slots, respectively. They seem to be configured properly, so I'm not sure if they could be the issue...

I hate stupid problems...

EDIT: I didn't reinstall the Linksys software for the wireless card, but I don't think I really have to, since one, it works fine without it, and two, Windows Update just found an updated driver for me for the card; the newer driver, strangely, doesn't appear on Linksys' website...weird but eh, who knows?
    Last edited by PacoL250; March 25th, 2004 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco L 250
    I hate stupid problems...
    We all do & the more complicated you make them the worse it gets , I think we sussed it already didn't we ? you made 'it' go away when you un-installed direct connect ?

I'm still very 'reluctant' (& busy) with that list ... help me out & tell me the software you want installed as many of those entries will relate - its the ones we never asked for that are the issues with 'malware' .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    We all do & the more complicated you make them the worse it gets , I think we sussed it already didn't we ? you made 'it' go away when you un-installed direct connect ?

I'm still very 'reluctant' (& busy) with that list ... help me out & tell me the software you want installed as many of those entries will relate - its the ones we never asked for that are the issues with 'malware' .
    The problem went away after I rebooted a couple of times and DC++ was still on the system the last time I solved the problem. I dunno why, but I keep thinking it's a physical hardware problem; jza734 mentioned a keyboard issue a few posts ago, so I'm going to try out the suggestion that was given then (I didn't try it yet since this problem really hadn't come up previously even when I had all the various software I used installed, and I don't see any possible issue with the keyboard).

The software that the HijackThis log refers to are all items I use one time or another. I'm sure I can maybe tweak my startup to see what can happen, but I'm going to run that Dell Diagnostic test first.

Angry I Hate This!

Still nothing solved yet. I'm ready to heave this thing out the window...

I used the Dell diagnostics program, but everything seemed fine (I couldn't find a drift test for the mouse; maybe I downloaded the wrong one? I'm not sure, but if jza734 could send me a link or the program with that test, that would really help).

There's nothing else I can think of; I've uninstalled my anti-virus, removed my wireless lan card, uninstalled Zone Alarm, and then started up, but the problem would not go away...

Even a few reboots don't help anymore, and I really don't want to reinstall windows especially if it's a damned hardware problem that needs to be solved...

Any more suggestions?

So you are still complaining of the original symptoms ? Slight pause with keystrokes or mouse ?

If so then with all that stuff active at one time what do you expect ? (which is pretty much what I keep saying)

Tell me what you have installed that you want, & this time I promise to go through the log .. I only google every entry I don't recognise ! & figure it out from there .. These hijackthis logs are hard work ! hint , hint, hint !

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So you are still complaining of the original symptoms ? Slight pause with keystrokes or mouse ?

If so then with all that stuff active at one time what do you expect ? (which is pretty much what I keep saying)

Tell me what you have installed that you want, & this time I promise to go through the log .. I only google every entry I don't recognise ! & figure it out from there .. These hijackthis logs are hard work ! hint , hint, hint !
    Well the original symptoms are still there, but I've had more crap in startup, etc. before without a single hitch, so I'm kinda weirded out on that one. The other symptoms included skipping sound while I was playing mp3s and such (slight pauses in that too).

I'm tempted to just backup, format, and reinstall windows with stuff that I only really use now (which honestly isn't a lot). I'm sure it's probable that my WinXP installation is just now FUBAR-ED a bit, so who knows...

Suggestions before I wipe my slate clean?

EDIT: Thanks so much for the help so far!

Lot of dell people are complaining that mp3's skip or sound distorted with the dell drivers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."