Norton Internet Security
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norton Internet Security

Norton Internet Security

Is this a good firewall? It seems to block internet access to a program I made even if you set it to allow access for that program. No other firewall that I know if causes this problem.

What could be causing this? Is Norton IS a good firewasll or not?

Thanks

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Test what? NIS? I want to know why its blocking my program even when its set to allow it. It's my friend that said it blocks it, but I sold hundreds of copies of my program and he's the only one that reported a problem.

Thanks

I've noticed more problems with NIS blocking wanted application access than most other firewalls. McAfee Guardian has been the worst in my experience. This could be due to the fact that there are more computers out there with those apps, but it still doesn't make me very comfortable. I personally don't recommend NIS because of the problems I've seen. Just my experience.

Is there any chance it might be a problem in the program I wrote? My friend insists that I don't know how to program because NIS blocks my program even if you allow it.

I don't see how it can possibly have anything to do with my program, plus NIS is the only firewall I know of that blocks my program even after you allow it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Test what? NIS?
    Thanks
    Then why did you ask if it was a good firewall?

You didn't say anything about it blocking just your software.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've had issues with any and all firewalls but Norton NIS is my least favorite.

I have "goofy" issues with it on a few different machines - like it blocking access to the web from the box but letting all other traffic to the box unfettered access. Another system on default settings let me see it's default share c$(call me crazy but a firewall that alows you to the root directory of a machine by default ain't a good firewall). I quickly switched to something else given all the free alternatives that work far better. sygate, zone alarm, tpf, etc.

As for your friend issue, I would check to see if parental controlls are active. I had a real fun time with those being turned on on my GF's machine. It was blocking any and all access to everything useful and even removing the firewall didn't help. I had to reinstall it and put in her password and reset everything on it before I could finally remove it.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; March 15th, 2004 at 10:17 AM.

Are the parental controls in NIS?

What firewall would you recommend if NIS isnt good (for some reason he insists it's the best firewall and the the problem is in my program)?

Is there any chance it might be a problem in the program I wrote?
    hmm . . . . let me think . . . . . . .

Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

kato, I dont know what youre problem is, all my programs are excellent, I wouldnt be selling hundreds of copies in just a few months with 100% satisfied customers if I didnt know how to program.

You're STILL referring to the bug in the MICROSOFT installer that stupidly replaces the OS DLLs with the ones from the computer the program was made on. I now use another installer that looks much better and most importantly doesnt add unsafe DLLs that are part of the OS. Guess what? Since I use that installer not a single person had a problem, and any problems people were having before was before any part of my program was even installed or executed, prooving that it has NOTHING at all to do with MY programing, and everything to do with the microsoft peice of junk installer that crashes systems using an older OS than the program was made on.

So please, stop it it's been what? 3 years I'm being called a bad programer on here because of microsoft's installer that includes part of the OS in the installer and crashes the PC?

I dont know what the point is of bringing this up all the time? I dont get it.

kato, I dont know what youre problem is, all my programs are excellent, I wouldnt be selling hundreds of copies in just a few months with 100% satisfied customers if I didnt know how to program.

I dont know what the point is of bringing this up all the time? I dont get it.
    Alright, since you brought it up, how is it possible to have 100% satisfied customers? Even dildo manufactures can't keep everyone happy all of the time>>>!!!

OK maybe they arent all 100% satisfied, but it didnt crash anyone's PC like the MS installer did with my hard drive cleaner I posted on here a while ago.

Here are just a few comments I got about an auction sniper software I'm selling (screen shots):
    -The best sniper software yet. Extremely happy. Excellent seller
    -I really like the look of your program from the screen shots. I tried [a competitor's program] and it's disappointing.
    -Just won my first auction using your program. Worked great. I'd been using a competitor's sniping software previous to a computer crash and decided to try a different sniper. Like yours better.
    -Wonderful software with instant service, does not get any better than this one!
    -Awesome product... I use it everyday! Thanks!!!!!!!
    -Outstanding software. Excellent support. Highly recommended!
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; March 15th, 2004 at 02:55 PM.

Are the parental controls in NIS?

What firewall would you recommend if NIS isnt good (for some reason he insists it's the best firewall and the the problem is in my program)?

There were in the copy that was on my GF's machine. Version 2001 though if memory serves.

Sygate, zone alarm, tiny personal firewall. I like sygate best as of now.

Have your client try this:

Disable NIS then try the applciation.

if it works then you have proved that it is not your application casuing hte problem.

Ask if the user actualy reads the NIS pop ups, or just click allow or block, he may have inadvertely blcoked a dll that the application is using by being click happy (most common problem with these kind of firewalls)

then check all his NIS firewall rules: look for ones that will impact your program and either cahgne them( or delete them all and redevelop the rules, and have the guy read wahts going on) if you opt to edit the rules check the ones that impact your applciation, reset the rule to allow communications on all protocols and ports if it doeent always use the same ones (this realy screws up NIS if it does beacus if its not on the same port all the time NIS loses it, so i usualy have my rules to to allow all if its soposed to go out there)

all else fails get NIS and try it your self on your system, NIS may be incompatible with the users config, or may break some DLL your using.

also in my expereince auctioneers dont tend to be too bright with computers and even microscopic things like there screwup on the clikc happy aspect is your fault.

It does work if he closes NIS, I'll tell him your suggestions.

But I was wondering if there's anything I have to add to my program to make it work with firewalls when its set to allow, im pretty sure its the firewall's job but my friend kept saying its my program thats badly made

Thanks
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; March 15th, 2004 at 08:05 PM.