calling all security pros

Thread: calling all security pros

calling all security pros

ok...I am appealing to all the gods of what is good and unholy in network security. Actually I just figured the collective conscious knows a lot of things that I have never heard of. I am looking for a tool (preferably free) that will scan a network and provide the hostname, MAC, and IP. This is a multiple platform environment, so I will need something that will provide this info for infrastructure, unix based, macintosh based, and windows based equipment. Any ideas? It doesn't have to be a single tool either. Can be multiple tools and hopefully the tools are fast. The tools can also be *nix based or Windows based. I am currently playing with Nmap and sifting through its Man.

Thanks in advance

have you checked the leases at the DHCP server? should give you mac, hostname and IP when the comp requests a lease.

If your running a wins server, you could do similar
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

that would be a lot of DHCP servers to check...any other suggestions?

you have more than one dhcp server on a single broadcast domain?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman72
    that would be a lot of DHCP servers to check...any other suggestions?
    sandman, unless you individualy query the mac address through software running on the clients system.. say by installing something, you can only remotely query for MAC's inside of a broadcast domain (like noo stated) however, unlike any other broadcast packets, discovers are often sent through relay agents on routers in order to get IP's. In my view, your going to be hoping from each small section of a network, to another to get the MAC's. DHCP's are atleast a central collection point where you have all the pieces of information handy.

If your looking for one tool that well get everything on YOUR network, then what stops it from getting everything else on connected networks? If that occurs, you could run it on the internet and get everyone's mac address........
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

To scan YOUR network, or any IP range you like, try LANGuard Network Scanner by GFI . It will show Mac, IP, OS, Device, etc. It's fast, and you can download a free copy last time I checked.

Carpel

Abel&Cain is a great tool for that (and not only ). http://www.oxid.it
    Also known as poor man's l0phtcrack. Oh, did I mention that it's free?
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Abel&Cain is a great tool for that (and not only ). http://www.oxid.it
    Also known as poor man's l0phtcrack. Oh, did I mention that it's free?
    but when I tried it norton detected a trojan. I'd stay away.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    but when I tried it norton detected a trojan. I'd stay away.
    Some old antivirus tools might detect older versions of it as a trojan (since it has a server component), but it's not. Most antivirus vendors have REMOVED it from the detection pattern. Do some googling before condamning this tool...

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Some old antivirus tools might detect older versions of it as a trojan (since it has a server component), but it's not. Most antivirus vendors have REMOVED it from the detection pattern. Do some googling before condamning this tool...
    this must be a RECENT development then, because I tried it not too long ago at work and norton corporate 7.5 with definitions updated daily picked it up as a virus. I'll try it again though and see.

oh and PS I believe it's condemning . . . which I wasn't doing just stating some personal experience which I also believe others here have had too. . . adept I believe
    Last edited by kato2274; March 17th, 2004 at 08:24 AM.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

For the record:
    I am not looking for this for any less than legitimate reason. I would be running the tools on networks that I am approved to work on. (been around lurking long enough to know not to ask about hacking or piracy)

In case i forgot to mention in my original post, I am also looking for something that will allow me to give it a list of ip ranges to scan. I done really want to manually type in a thousand ranges. The windows boxes are easy to get. I can do that and export it to a nice excel sheet. Its the "others" that are giving me headaches.

Cain will do that and it's not a hacking tool. It can scan a given range (or your full subnet) and export IP/MAC/OUI Fingerprint/hostname to a file. Give it a try and you'll love it.

Nessus

Although I do not use nessus for this purpose and it is a bit overkill I know it can grab this information. If you're semi-comfortable with Linux try it out. http://nessus.org.

Other thoughts - this won't help on non-windows machines but how about something in you domain log in script? If you're mostly windows you may be able to do something like:

net config workstation >>(giant_text_file)

Of course then you'll need to grep the file to spearate the good from the bad.

I've just started working with PERL and I bet I could pull the above off a little more cleanly and across the different platforms. If you know someone good with perl you may want to talk to them...
    ***I Like Pie***

I don't think I saw this one mentioned: http://www.networkview.com

It will grab the information you're looking for and automagically layout the network. It can do some monitoring as well. It fits on a floppy so its easily transportable...

Check out Angry IP scanner from Angry Ziber . Quick and easy, gets IP, Hostname, User via netbios, and MAC address. Not the best but free and simple. Set the options, put in the range, and scan.