My wireless isn't working!

Thread: My wireless isn't working!

Angry My wireless isn't working!

Alright, I've had a wireless set-up between my Netgear WGR614 (wireless 802.11b router) and my computer with a MA311 (wireless adapter). It's been working, but then I had to reinstall the card because my comp had to be whiped. I installed my comp physically to the cable modem without the router for a while. When I tried to set it back, it wouldn't work anymore.

The router AND the configuration utility on my comp say that they are connected and even show signs of transmitting information to each other, but my internet doesn't work. I get the feeling that my comp is trying to use my physical ethernet adapter, which I removed from my computer.

So my question is this: How do I make it so that my internet comes from the wireless card? I know it sounds like a n00bish question, but the drivers are installed properly, I've attempted to set-up the LAN several time, and it still doesn't work! It's signal strength and link signal both sit around 75%!

Somebody please help me :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Nohimn
    Alright, I've had a wireless set-up between my Netgear WGR614 (wireless 802.11b router) and my computer with a MA311 (wireless adapter). It's been working, but then I had to reinstall the card because my comp had to be whiped. I installed my comp physically to the cable modem without the router for a while. When I tried to set it back, it wouldn't work anymore.

The router AND the configuration utility on my comp say that they are connected and even show signs of transmitting information to each other, but my internet doesn't work. I get the feeling that my comp is trying to use my physical ethernet adapter, which I removed from my computer.

So my question is this: How do I make it so that my internet comes from the wireless card? I know it sounds like a n00bish question, but the drivers are installed properly, I've attempted to set-up the LAN several time, and it still doesn't work! It's signal strength and link signal both sit around 75%!

Somebody please help me :-(
    Ok, before you beat yourself up a bunch, what brand of cable modem do you have?

You will have to "reset" your modem, to clear the previous MAC address. Many times this is overlooked, because it can be so simple, like anything else on the "physical" side.

Hope this helps!

bb
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

I've hit that little reset button sooo many times... I'll do it again and see what happens. I'll tell you if it works

It's NETGEAR btw.

nope, didn't work...

According to the configuration utility at my comp, it says that the wireless card is recieving information, but when I tried to sign on AIM, it didn't transmit any information at all. I think it may be because my computer refuses to connect through my wireless card. The drivers are find, the connection light on the card is solid (means it's okay) and it is recieving information.

It does occasionally transmit information, but it's always something like 3 for every 2000 recieved..

Ok, so we can rule out the modem being the issue, that being said...please also check the following:

1. go to command prompt, type "ping 127.0.0.1". What happens.
    2. if no. 1 works (you get a reply), then ping your wireless router...
    3. What, if any security measures, are you using (WEP, WAP, RADIUS)?

I added number 3, because some of my wifi clients will "see" the AP, but will not be able to strike up a meaningfull conversation, until I change WEP keys.

bb
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by bbtech6650
    Ok, so we can rule out the modem being the issue, that being said...please also check the following:

1. go to command prompt, type "ping 127.0.0.1". What happens.
    2. if no. 1 works (you get a reply), then ping your wireless router...
    3. What, if any security measures, are you using (WEP, WAP, RADIUS)?

I added number 3, because some of my wifi clients will "see" the AP, but will not be able to strike up a meaningfull conversation, until I change WEP keys.

bb
    Hitting the reset is not usually enough. Foillow the steps below and it should work.
    1)remove modem from electricity
    2)remove router from electricity
    3)shut down computers.

Wait a full minute the plug modem in to electricity.When you get a solid cable status light then plug in router. Wait for a WAN light the restart computers.
    This will normally let the router talk to the modem and the computers talk to the router.

did the wireless work at one point? do any of the computers connect to the internet (or is there only one?). It sounds like you don't have the router configured properly. one thing not mentioned above is what ip address are you getting? if you have a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx number then you aren't pulling an ip from the router. make sure you have dhcp enabled on the router. also double and triple check that you actually are associating to your ap and not one that is in the area (ie the new one that your neighbors just bought or something to that effect )
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I think I may be confus-ed again ... but that never stopped me before ! So ...

Err I can't fathom whether you ever cloned your pc mac address to your router (originally) - most ISPs are looking for the original NICs mac address which originally validated the connection - I do this quite often reset everything & wonder why it doesn't work when its 'exactly' as before - oh d'uh ! - I forgot to clone the pc's mac address into the router from my pc which of course is the mac address the ISP is looking to connect to, NOT my routers native one - because its different !!!! ..

1)Is your wireless router pulling an ip from the cablemodem/ISP? If so-

2)Did you do all your Windows-updates when you were connected by wire to the cablemodem? If so-

3)Start uninstalling these updates from th add/remove programs in cpanel until you get a link/connection from you wireless.

There is some sort of issue with one of the windows updates the knocks out your wireless connection. I've seen this a couple of times in the past few weeks.
    P.S don't start with the service packs.
    Good luck and I hope it helps

I have a netgear wifi card aswell and by updating XP it kicked off my connection. Make sure windows takes care of the configuration and take out the netgear config program. Make sure it doesn't start the next time you reboot.

Hope this works...

Q

I would double check the encryption key. When reconfiguring wireless networks that is the biggest problem I run into. Does your PC get its IP from the routers DHCP server? You might want to check and make sure you're getting a valid address for your network.

Just to go back to basics, are you sure you're using the right type of cable to connect to the cable modem? If the router is not auto sensing it may require a Xover cable, I've seen where folks have just grabbed the wrong cable when going to reconnect things.

The cable networks here do not map to the MAC of the NIC, they map to the modem's MAC. So you can change your NIC, or reconfigure things without havig to go through a whole bunch of hoops.

Worse come to worse, call your ISP and tell them that you got yourself a new NIC because your previous one went bad and they'll either instruction you on how to reset your modem or they'll wipe it remotely on their end.