Remote Desktop to Multiple Machines

Thread: Remote Desktop to Multiple Machines

Remote Desktop to Multiple Machines

I banged my head against this one for about 3 hours today.

A guy needs to be able to access the 3 machines on his network remotely. He has a Netopia T1 router that I can't access because of the ISP's policy. He's using Remote Desktop. I found the instructions in the KB on how to set it up.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304304

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306759

I still can't make it work. The only machine that can connect is the default port (3389). I called the ISP and had the tech forward 3389 to 192.168.1.100, 3390 to 192.168.1.101, and 3391 to 192.168.1.102.

I think it must be something on the two other machines that is causing it. I checked all the services. I have Remote Access Connection Manager and Remote Access Auto Connection Manager running. No firewall, even checked XP's firewall. Any other services needed for Remote Desktop? I'm out of ideas.

Help, please. I gotta go back tommorrow with the solution.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

As a quick fix can you remote in to one desktop and then remote to the others from that one? It's possible and works fine. Also, have you considered setting up a VPN tunnel so that you can connect directly to the IP and port of each machine? This is how I do it.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

VPN to the router would be the way to go as Silencio says. Much more secure as well.

Then you just remote desktop the internal IP addresses of each pc so no port forwarding and no leaving a potential security risk of a well known port open through your firewall.

I work like this for all of my clients and have done so for a long time. Gone are the days when pcAnywhere or NetMeeting ports are sitting open on the WAN side for all to scan.

Just make a good strong user and password for the VPN - special characters and at least ten long, tie it to set IP address only access (if you have a fixed IP) and watch your logs periodically for any signs of attempted intrusions.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by jimmm33
    I banged my head against this one for about 3 hours today.

A guy needs to be able to access the 3 machines on his network remotely. He has a Netopia T1 router that I can't access because of the ISP's policy. He's using Remote Desktop. I found the instructions in the KB on how to set it up.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304304

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306759

I still can't make it work. The only machine that can connect is the default port (3389). I called the ISP and had the tech forward 3389 to 192.168.1.100, 3390 to 192.168.1.101, and 3391 to 192.168.1.102.

I think it must be something on the two other machines that is causing it. I checked all the services. I have Remote Access Connection Manager and Remote Access Auto Connection Manager running. No firewall, even checked XP's firewall. Any other services needed for Remote Desktop? I'm out of ideas.

Help, please. I gotta go back tommorrow with the solution.
    I would remote to one system and then remote from that system to the others. But you did set up different ports to different systems. You need to go into reg and change the listening ports for remote desktop. Remote desktop does not listen to non-standard port. Here is an article to do that: http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/P...ard_Port_.html

Remember to open the firewall for those ports that you set up and have fun
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

Easy solution is to forward port 3389 to comp1 at port 3389, 3390 to comp2 at 3389, and 3391 to comp3 at 3389. Then when connecting just go ip.address.of.wan:33xx xx would be to the corresponding system. Then you don't have to edit your registry. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert