PCMCIA USB 2.0 Cardbus not working

Thread: PCMCIA USB 2.0 Cardbus not working

Registered User MartinGascoigne's Avatar

Unhappy PCMCIA USB 2.0 Cardbus not working

I have a Dell Latitude Csx laptop running Windows 98se. It has one USB port at the back that came loose so I bought a USB 2.0 PCcard from ebuyer to give me USB capability.

It doesn't work at all. I installed the drivers from the CD and also updated drivers (they are from ali.com).
    Device manager says that the device is working normally. If I plug in a USB device (a wireless hub for example) the lights on the device come on but that's all.
    I can eject the card normally but if I then push it back in the PC locks and then comes up with a fatal exception. I don't know if this is syptomatic of something or not.

I have update the bios to the latest (A13) - no help.

Now I'm stuck and I need help.

Martin

Ah so welcome to Windrivers Martin

98 knows about usb .. but I'm not so sure about usb 2 !?! (that uses wdm {windows driver model} which 98 doesn't 'know' about at all I think ) - there's also a whole load of 'stuff' about cardbus adapters & 16 & 32 bit slots (so you mighn't have the 'right thing' & be needing a 16 bit usb 1 card .. i've a feeling you are gonna be sending that back or selling it - but hang fire a bit, until we/I/you decide 'completely' ...)

Quote Originally Posted by M$
    USB vendors can protect their customers by encouraging them to make sure their systems have the best USB support available. A free USB evaluation utility can be downloaded from the Shopping Bag page at http://www.usb.org that can be used to determine whether a platform with USB connectors is running a version of Windows that understands USB
    Try that & see if anything 'revealing' pops up .. or maybe now I've answered somebody else can clear my confus-ed-ness about usb 2 & windows 98 ?

98 is very happy with usb2, providing it has a decent set of drivers and the motherboard drivers are in place. Pcmcia adds a layer of complexity to this, because of the cardbus versions.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    98 is very happy with usb2, providing it has a decent set of drivers and the motherboard drivers are in place. Pcmcia adds a layer of complexity to this, because of the cardbus versions.
    Ta Missus ! .. so you are of the opinion its the wrong kind of slot ? - in which case I suppose we need the exact model so we can check what kind of PCMCIA slot we want 16 or 32 bit ?

I'm assuming the new one is 32