Win XP and Pioneer DVD-Rom

Thread: Win XP and Pioneer DVD-Rom

Win XP and Pioneer DVD-Rom

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=6][COLOR=Black]
    I recently replaced my hard drive and upgraded to Win XP Pro from Win 98 SE. I have all the same hardware/configurations as before the upgrade with the exception of the new hard drive and the upgrade to XP Pro. However, now my Pioneer 115-R DVD Rom will not read DVD's, only data and audio discs. I put in a DVD disc, and nothing happens, I get no errors, the DVD Rom will just not recognize that there is a disc in the tray. I can not play the disc manually either. I have all the Win XP updates installed, and I have several DVD players installed, WinDVD, PowerDVD, ATI media player, etc. None of the players work. I have tried with no luck to get updated Pioneer drivers, Pioneer states that their DVD Hardware is "plug and play" and no drivers are available. This DVD Rom is only a few months old, and is now useless. Anybody have any good ideas what it might be? Any help would be great. It worked before the upgrade, and doesn't now. If this involves making registry changes, please give detailed instructions as I know nothing about doing that.
    Jodi

I was able to find a generic DVD-ROM driver from Pioneer here. Looks like most of the ones listed are for DOS only.

How do things look in Device Manager? Any question marks or errors, etc.? Does it show up as a regular CD-ROM or what? Model number, etc.

You might try booting into Safe Mode, Remove the offending device. Reboot and let Windows try again to correctly ID and load the proper drivers.

Is your PC compatible with WinXP. You might need a BIOS upgrade.

Just a couple of suggestions...let us know how it all ends up.

Good Luck!

I have an older pioneer 105s in my machine running XP Pro, no probs.

You could try device manager and uninstall the device and reboot. Check the IDE/ATAPI Contorllers in device manager are set to DMA if available. Also make sure you have the lastest chipset drives for your motherboard.

[QUOTE=DonJ]I looked at all the drivers at that location already, none of those are right. In the control panel/system, it shows up as a Pioneer DVD 155-R DVD ROM, but when I look at properties, it is using a generic CD ROM driver, not the one it should be using. My pc is win xp compatible, althought I had thought about a BIOS upgrade, but how do I do that? I am running an AK72 AOpen AMD Athlon 4X AGP ATX Mother board, I have a WD 80 GB Hard drive, I just let Win XP Pro format it into NTFS when I installed it. Graphics cards is a Radeon 7000. Any more ideas?

When you click on Properties of the DVD drive, there should be a tab for Driver. Click on it...click on Update Driver. When prompted, tell it to list all drivers so that you can select. Then select Manufacturer, then the correct model number. Hopefully, you will start flying...might need to reboot afterwards.

Do any of your media players ID the device properly? You say it did work fine before upgrading to WinXP, right?

As for upgrading your BIOS, check out Aopen's website. From the drop-down menu, select Motherboards...then from the Model menu, select AK72. Then follow the directions exactly. Make sure you have good floppies and a good floppy drive. You might even make two copies in case one is bad...
    Last edited by DonJ; March 23rd, 2004 at 12:49 AM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    The software that read/played the dvd's in Win98, will not work with XP. (Or needs to be re-installed) Whatever brand of software came with the dvd player, go to their website and look for an updated version.

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    The software that read/played the dvd's in Win98, will not work with XP.
    Yeah, what he said...

You must upgrade that software too...make sure it is WinXP compatible.

Check device manager too, is there any ! against the DVD or other devices?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    The software that read/played the dvd's in Win98, will not work with XP. (Or needs to be re-installed) Whatever brand of software came with the dvd player, go to their website and look for an updated version.
    I have 4 different programs for playing/copying DVD's. I updated all of them FIRST hoping that it would be that easy....but NOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    When you click on Properties of the DVD drive, there should be a tab for Driver. Click on it...click on Update Driver. When prompted, tell it to list all drivers so that you can select. Then select Manufacturer, then the correct model number. Hopefully, you will start flying...might need to reboot afterwards.

Do any of your media players ID the device properly? You say it did work fine before upgrading to WinXP, right?

As for upgrading your BIOS, check out Aopen's website. From the drop-down menu, select Motherboards...then from the Model menu, select AK72. Then follow the directions exactly. Make sure you have good floppies and a good floppy drive. You might even make two copies in case one is bad...
    Ok this is really getting wierd. I went into properties and tried to update the driver. It listed Pioneer, but when it listed "available drivers" it only gave me 1 option for a CD ROM. What is up with that? And there are no ! next to anything, no conflicts whatsoever. GRRRRR

It did work prior to the upgrade and new hard drive. I was using WinDVD and ATI Multimedia Center that came with my motherboard. Ya think the "multiple programs" that I have to play DVD's might be having some kind of freaky conflict and it is confusing the driver situation? I am just lost with this thing. I think I have tried everything with the exception of the BIOS upgrade, and I think that is next!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ

Oh Boy...I went to the Aopen website, and there is a whole list of stuff for my motherboard. Do I need all of those if I am not having problems with the items addressed, or do I just need 1 specific file? I am really unsure about that, and I would hate to fry this thing LOL. Also, what about a "firmware" update. What is it, and should I do something with that? And if so...what? Help! I am such a rookie!

Seems to be a rash of this....
    Something is definitely no set right, and it's going to be an easy setting to miss because most of the time, it works first off.

Ok, Is the dvd drive on its own ide cable (wide grey ribbon)?

In the bios setup, is udma enabled (usually found in integrated peripherals)?
    did you install the chipset drivers when you loaded xp?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Seems to be a rash of this....
    Something is definitely no set right, and it's going to be an easy setting to miss because most of the time, it works first off.

Ok, Is the dvd drive on its own ide cable (wide grey ribbon)?

In the bios setup, is udma enabled (usually found in integrated peripherals)?
    did you install the chipset drivers when you loaded xp?
    Yes the DVD is on its own ide cable. I am going to check the udma thing when I get off line. I will let you know what I find. As far as the chipset drivers, I thought that XP autodetected what you needed for that. Do I need to re-install all my motherboard drivers? DUH on this end.
    Thanks!
    Jodi

XP autodetects and sets its own generic drivers accordingly. Things don't work right until you get the proper ones sometimes. That rather depends on many things like whether it came out before or after xp was written and they were adding the drivers!