No signal in windows
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No signal in windows

No signal in windows

Im trying to trouble shoot a PC over the phone where the monitor works and then when windows starts it goes into standby (the monitor), but it works fine up to the Windows XP Pro screen with the blue thing.

When I setup the PC I had it conencted to my PC by s-video and never connected a VGA screen, I thought maybe it was set to a resolution the monitor didnt support but its at 800x600 in safe mode so I guess it uses the same in normal mode, also the same monitor worked on that PC before.

The video card is onboard the MSI K7N2G ILSR motherboard.

What could be causing this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Im trying to trouble shoot a PC over the phone where the monitor works and then when windows starts it goes into standby (the monitor), but it works fine up to the Windows XP Pro screen with the blue thing.

When I setup the PC I had it conencted to my PC by s-video and never connected a VGA screen, I thought maybe it was set to a resolution the monitor didnt support but its at 800x600 in safe mode so I guess it uses the same in normal mode, also the same monitor worked on that PC before.

The video card is onboard the MSI K7N2G ILSR motherboard.

What could be causing this?

Thanks
    Have the user tap the F8 key after the BIOS/POST display but before Windows starts up, select VGA mode from the startup menu. If they have a display all the way through at that point then it's almost surely a refresh rate or display mode issue.

The screen works in safe mode, if I tell them to change the RR in safe mode will it apply to normal mode when rebooted?

Thanks

The screen works in safe mode, if I tell them to change the RR in safe mode will it apply to normal mode when rebooted?

Thanks
    When you use safe mode it uses vga.sys as its screen driver so no .. but I take it that gives you the idea that its to do with your video driver being wrong or not properly installed

Although it may be your display driver, I had a monitor once on a compaq do that to me and replacing the monitor fixed the problem entirely, it was the strangest thing ever.

Should I try to tell them to reinstall the driver in safe mode? Isnt there a way to change the refresh rate from safe mode?

Thanks

did you try a system restore ?

I just installed windows on it so theres nowhere to restore to.

when you press F8 to go into Safe Mode, try VGA mode instead (Assuming that option is available in XP). Then you should be able to tinker with any video settings or reload drivers that Safe Mode might not allow you to do.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Also check its not setup for dual monitors and that windows thinks it should be using the other (none existent) monitor.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

when you change the res in safe mode or vga mode in XP, it should keep that setting the next time you boot in normal mode.

Just have them go to to the hardware devices in safe mode and delete the video adapter. Reboot and windwos should reinstall it on boot. If it is an issue with refresh then this "should" take care of it
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Thanks
    Yes, it will. (Sorry, -ed )

Probably best to have them set it back to 640x480, 256 colors. When they restart it'll look miserable but they can then slowly increase settings back up one step at a time and each time they'll get the "Click OK to keep these settings, or they will go away in 15 seconds" box, so if the screen goes black it'll automatically restore the last good settings.

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    Yes, it will. (Sorry, -ed )

Probably best to have them set it back to 640x480, 256 colors. When they restart it'll look miserable but they can then slowly increase settings back up one step at a time and each time they'll get the "Click OK to keep these settings, or they will go away in 15 seconds" box, so if the screen goes black it'll automatically restore the last good settings.
    Well I beg to differ Mr Microsoft Very Important Person you .. but both safe mode & vga mode use vga.sys instead of a monitor driver (don't believe me ? then get reading that KB!!!) to ensure compatibility & when it starts up with those it uses (or tries to use) whatever monitor at 800x600 with a standard refresh of 60mhz as that's what any svga monitor should be able to achieve 'minimum' ... changing this won't 'fix' windows as it'll still try in 'normal mode' to use whatever driver might have been picked up previously - so yeah you can change it in safe mode but it doesn't do you any good as when it fires normally its back to this 'broken' driver

Gollo's advice seems best to me ... delete in safe mode & lets see what it thinks when it refinds it ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Well I beg to differ Mr Microsoft Very Important Person you .. but both safe mode & vga mode use vga.sys instead of a monitor driver (don't believe me ? then get reading that KB!!!) to ensure compatibility & when it starts up with those it uses (or tries to use) whatever monitor at 800x600 with a standard refresh of 60mhz as that's what any svga monitor should be able to achieve 'minimum' ... changing this won't 'fix' windows as it'll still try in 'normal mode' to use whatever driver might have been picked up previously - so yeah you can change it in safe mode but it doesn't do you any good as when it fires normally its back to this 'broken' driver

Gollo's advice seems best to me ... delete in safe mode & lets see what it thinks when it refinds it ...
    Yeah, yeah; I know that ... but have you tried it? I have and it works just fine. This is my standard fix for "So your PC was set up for a 17" monitor at 1024x768x85hz but now you've hooked it up to an old 15" 800x600 monitor, eh?"

The settings you make in the Display applet are kept when you exit VGA mode and restart in normal mode.