HP Pavilion 564a: multimedia audio controller needed

Thread: HP Pavilion 564a: multimedia audio controller needed

HP Pavilion 564a: multimedia audio controller needed

Hi new to these forums (and forums in particular).
    Problem: I have a HP pavilion 564a and cant hear any sounds, I have enabled onboard sound in the BIOS and have made sure all my wires are in correctly. The sound stopped working when I formatted due to a virus and installed XP pro (was XP home previously). When checking in device manager: Under other devices, I have a yellow exclamation mark which then sez Multimedia audio controller (this is the only conflict). Whenever I load up windows it says it has found new hardware and mentions this audio controller but it cant find the software automatically etc. I believe the motherboard is a trigem glendale(???) Any help would be much appreciated as I have been stuck on this for 2 weeks now any more info just ask.

So welcome to windrivers ricmiguel

Software & Driver downloads HP Pavilion 564a desktop PC (AP)

& guess what ? .. there's no sound driver on it ! - that means windows should know what it is(supposedly) - the specs of it don't help either I googled them as well here
    Integrated stereo sound system
    Thank you Hp you stupid $£"!%& that's very informative !

Have we got a recovery Cd hanging about ? That has
    Recovery CD Creator
    Hard Drive based Application Recovery for reinstallation of applications and drivers
    supposedly on it .. otherwise I'm off googling again for just what 'the hell' soundcard it might be ..

Most HP computers with Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Do the following steps, in order, to restore a software application or driver in Windows XP:

NOTE: Some HP computers with Windows XP do not have a software application recovery or have few software applications available. If the software application is not listed for application recovery, you can find and install the same software from the Web, perform an entire system recovery, or purchase and use a full version of the software application from a local computer store.

Click Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and Application Recovery.

In the Recovery window, select either Drivers or Applications, and click Next.

Select the software driver or application that is to be reinstalled, and click Next.

The driver or application is automatically reinstalled and may take a long time to complete.
    Very helpful. So, if you format you also wipe out the drivers. And as -ed noted, hp doesn't have them on the web site. According to hp the onboard sound is Analog Devices Soundmax 1981A. I found this driver on the intel website. It should work for you.

HP Desktop PCs - Fixing Sound Problems

Lots of good troubleshooting info there...

WinXP drivers for your Pavilion 564a Notice the BIOS Upgrade available.

HP Pavilion Desktop PCs - Not Finding Your Software and Drivers?
    If no updates are available, you already have the latest software and drivers from HP on your system.
    I would boot into Safe Mode, Remove all references to your Audio/Sound. Reboot, let Windows reload the appropriate drivers. You might need your Install CD available in order to Browse to.

Hmm, thanks for the help but none of those worked. It is very annoying that they have no mention of sound / audio drivers (hardware) etc. With the cadenza soundmax I have actually already downloaded that and get an "error, driver not found reboot PC". Reboot and nothing happens. I have AIDA network systems which tells me the name of hardware etc and in Multimedia>PCI/PnP Audio it has:

Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Now I dont know if that is the sound hardware / chip but on my other PC in the same window it has SiS 7012 audio device (I have a P4S800). Also on my other PC under windows audio it has details such as:

Midi out, Midi in, Wave out, mixer etc and on this PC it has nothing.
    I have also double checked that in the BIOS I have onboard sound>use of AC97 audio enabled, though I may try disabled and auto now.

Have you installed the intel chipset software? Seems like its not recogizing the controller built into the chipset.
    Audio components integrated into Intel® chipsets consists of 2 components – an Audio Codec ’97 (AC’97) digital controller, which is built into the I/O Controller Hub (ICH) of the chipset, and a AC’97 codec, which is the analog component of the architecture...Due to the variety of different AC’97 codecs that are available, Intel does not offer AC’97 reference audio drivers for public download.
    The driver I posted yesterday was the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Have you installed the intel chipset software? Seems like its not recogizing the controller built into the chipset. The driver I posted yesterday was the latter.
    I've tried that before as well, and still a no go. Is it supposed to recognise the intel audio chipset thats on the motherboard? If it is meant to, it hasnt given any sign that it has. No popups no nothing. Checked device manager and still same problem is there "multimedia audio controller". I installed an avance 97 thing which made this go away and instead it got an "error code 10" for the device as it couldnt start (dont ask me how i got an avance driver as it was a realtek one and I have no idea how i got it???). My logic at the time of getting that driver is long gone <.O_o>

It is very difficult getting info about this damned thing as the trigem site doesnt work for me. Please if there is anything else I can try or if you think im doing something wrong i'll give it a go. Like is there any chance there is maybe a device conflict such as IRQ conflicts or something?

Thanks
    Last edited by ricmiguel; March 24th, 2004 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricmiguel
    ..It is very difficult getting info about this damned thing as the trigem site doesnt work for me. Please if there is anything else I can try or if you think im doing something wrong i'll give it a go. Like is there any chance there is maybe a device conflict such as IRQ conflicts or something?

Thanks
    On behalf of 'all' you are welcome (& we really do like posters who acknowledge help !)

Well what I quoted will be at the bottom of all this, not so much conflict but allocation, onboard sound cards are just a pain ! they never identify the things properly & we have double trouble here as trigem= e-machines !! (& they are just pants !)

Though I just came to the same conclusion as Hudonsmith did when he suggested the intel driver - what must be wrong is the 'inf' bit of the driver - so its just basically called the wrong thing - looking for intel ac97 card instead of trigem ac97 ..

There are btw a 'zillion' implementations of ac97 chips by various manufacturers differentiated by their .INFormation files in the drivers.

I reckon we need the trigem inf version then all would be well - but I don't reckon much on our chances of 'sussing it out' on 'a manufactured for yet somebody' else motherboard .. at this point I'm gonna be 'defeatist' as its beaten my 'google' so far, & suggest -
    1. turn off onboard sound & buy a cheap & cheerful pci card $10-$15 ..
    2. get onto HP & pay for a recovery cd - I think its tight they charge for these when they should supply them ! but the arguement is you are meant to use the tools to create this driver recovery cd ..

Cool

Hi,

Try this..should slove your problem...

go to this site:

http://www.pcpartner.com.hk/support/...x_drv.htm#845X

and scroll down and download this driver/software:

ALC650 AC 97 Codec Driver

The size of this zipped file is about 21mb.

Hope it solves your issues...it did resolved mine almost identical as yours...

Gd Luck.

Thanks and Nice Day.

Regards,
    amrita

Welcome to Windrivers amrita
    Thanks for the link AC97 is a real pain on some of these boards.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

HP 564a & other Pavillions Drivers

Most of these boards, with Intel chipsets are MSI boards. Drivers can be found at the MSI website

Yikes what a resurrected thread
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html