Winsock update for Windows 2000?

Thread: Winsock update for Windows 2000?

Winsock update for Windows 2000?

Ok....

I like to think that I know a bit about computers, many here and elsewhere will probably disagree, but I am always willing to listen to those better qualified and experienced than me.

So, the question is, does anyone know of a winsock update for Windows 2000?

Reason for asking such a looney tune question? Read on....

Have setup a Java based application thing for a local company which consists of a test database (located at test.testing.com), and a live database (located at live.testing.com (obviously names changed to protect the guilty...))

Test database had some issues with digital certificate which was eventually sorted by the 'Helpdesk'. Now both databases links come with a connection checker which runs a java script thingy (not very conversant with Java...) that verifies that it can 1. See the server and 2. Login to the server. It uses port 443, which correct me if I'm wrong is the https port.

Now test database works without a problem, live database returns a socket error. However the connection checker for the live database works, so it can see and login to the server.

So the conversation goes something like this:

Helpdesk (HD): Oh, it's the firewall blocking the connection
    Me: Err, then why does the test database work, and the connection checker as well?
    HD: Because they are different programs
    Me: But are they not using the same port to the same IP range?
    HD: Yes
    Me: Then how is it a firewall problem?
    HD: Because the IP addresses are different you may have transposed a number incorrectly on the firewall.
    Me: Err, I have set no IP addresses on the firewall, Port 443 is open for the banking process that they use.
    HD: Ah, you need to specifically allow port 443
    Me: Interesting (my polite version of you're talking bollocks you twit)... ok give me the IP addresses and I'll add a rule in and test it.
    HD: Ok the IP addresses are....
    So addresses added in and a rule setup allowing the IP addresses through on 443.
    Me: Ok, I've added in the rule and tested and I still get the same error.
    HD: Have you rebooted the firewall?
    Me: No, it's dynamic.
    HD: Well we should reboot anyway
    Me: Ok. (inform users and reboots) Still not working.
    HD: Right well then it's obviously something wrong with the IP Stack on the PC
    Me: Err, how did you arrive at that conclusion?
    HD: Because it's a socket error
    Me: So you're saying that the IP stack is corrupted?
    HD: Yes
    Me: Ok, so how does it communicate effectively with the rest of the network, the internet, the e-mail server and the test database
    HD: Because there is an issue with Winsock
    Me: What?
    HD: There is an issue with Winsock, that stops it connecting to certain sites
    Me: Interesting, is there someone there at a more senior level that I can talk to, because I am not convinced that there is a problem with the PC, as it can communicate effectively with your servers on the live and test database, it just cannot upload a csv file to the live server.
    HD: There is a winsock update available for Windows 2000 Server
    Me: It's not a server, its 2000 Professional, SP4 with latest updates.
    HD: Well I can't help you any further until you have applied the update.
    Me: Ok where is the update?
    HD: On the Microsoft website
    Me: Which one? Technet, support or microsoft.com
    HD: The Microsoft one
    Me: What microsoft.com?
    HD: Err let me check.....

Then Line goes dead! So enlighten me someone PLEASE! Manual updates to the site work (again proves the connection is valid!!!), just an automatic batch file that fails.

I don't know crow about what may be causing the problems, but some more things you could check would be..

making sure cookies, temporary internet files, etc... are cleared out. make sure security settings within IE are set properly.

If you are using IE, try Mozilla or Opera to rule out a browser related issue.

Hi Cor,

Have you tried bringing down the test database at test.testing.com and leave only the live database active?

You're right on about the IP stack not being corrupted. It's like saying, "you can't get to google.com? Then your IP stack must be corrupt!" It just doesn't make sense. If there's only one service or site that you can't get to, chances are it's either a configuration issue or the site is down.

Helpdesks are an interesting animal. Unfortunately, getting a knowledgable tech on the line seems to be rare these days and when you do reach one, they usually don't last very long in the thank-less role. The biggest problems with Helpdesks these days - 1. they read and don't deviate from scripts 2. they don't listen to the problem your describing or ask the right questions to get a better understanding of the situation.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Redd

Quote Originally Posted by Reddman
    Hi Cor,

Have you tried bringing down the test database at test.testing.com and leave only the live database active?

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Redd
    Unfortunately not my call....

Thanks for your comments, didn't think I was that crazy.

Doing some searching on Internet and talking to some Java bods, they thing it may have something to do with the digital certificate installed.

Shanff - already cleared cookies etc. Not tried anything else with IE, but again the fact that the test database works would rule out issues?

My understanding is this (and the Windriver gurus please correct me if I'm wrong) that you can only run one service behind a port. For example, if you're running FTP behind port 21, you cannot run a second FTP service behind port 21.

For your situation Cor, you'll probably want to put the test database behind a different port than the live database...for example, 444. Then when you connect you would connect to https://test.testing.com:444

I'm pretty sure this is right, but if I'm talking out of my arse, it wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddman
    My understanding is this (and the Windriver gurus please correct me if I'm wrong) that you can only run one service behind a port. For example, if you're running FTP behind port 21, you cannot run a second FTP service behind port 21.

For your situation Cor, you'll probably want to put the test database behind a different port than the live database...for example, 444. Then when you connect you would connect to https://test.testing.com:444

I'm pretty sure this is right, but if I'm talking out of my arse, it wouldn't be the first time.

Mmmm, sounds good, I'll give it a try. Again though I have no control over the port that the databases want to use.... I think I'll 'remove' the test database and see what happens.

That is also my opinion... but I could be wrong.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    That is also my opinion... but I could be wrong.
    Which bit???

So for the update....

Receive an e-mail this morning saying that the helpdesk will get back to me with the link. Then around lunchtime I get another e-mail saying, well done for applying the update as the file has now arrived, but it is in the wrong format.

So being confused for a second I wondered what update had been applied, called the customer, nope, they hadn't done an update. Passing anyway so popped in, absolutely nothing had changed and on running the batch file, same error is returned.

So for shots and goggles I changed the file to a more recently created csv file and da da daaaaaaaa, it works. Turns out that the live database does not accept the same file format as the test database.... so what works on one, will not work on another (???????????????).

Still waiting for the Winsock link.....