Simulate USB Device

Thread: Simulate USB Device

Simulate USB Device

Hi there,
    I am planing to write a virtual device which use USB port to talk with the computer. So, my idea is I want to developt a virtual device connect with the PC through USB port. I mean, if you have an usb lamp and you begin write a drive for it. You have a specification of the lamp. And you plug the lamp to the pc. In my case, i want to build my lamp by the software with all properties like a real lamp. So, my first problem is i don't know how to write a virtual device run on both Linux and Windows. So any idea help me now.
    Thanks a lot.
    Phong

Quote Originally Posted by phonghtn
    Hi there,
    I am planing to write a virtual device which use USB port to talk with the computer. So, my idea is I want to developt a virtual device connect with the PC through USB port. I mean, if you have an usb lamp and you begin write a drive for it. You have a specification of the lamp. And you plug the lamp to the pc. In my case, i want to build my lamp by the software with all properties like a real lamp. So, my first problem is i don't know how to write a virtual device run on both Linux and Windows. So any idea help me now.
    Thanks a lot.
    Phong
    Well welcome phonghtn

But you in the wrong place Mister ! here we fix stuff, based on what we know/decode etc etc, I don't think we have any members who write device drivers or are capable of it (no offence to anyone 'present' but I think I'm the nearest you are gonna get - & the 'nearest' says he ain't sure enough to be giving out advice on the subject ! )

Virtual Device Driver Basics might help with .VXD style drivers (so for 9x) for ME/xp/w2k you need to follow the Windows Driver Model .. Windows Driver Model (WDM) - Compatible drivers for Microsoft Windows operating systems (as a 'primer' for you) & linux uses .. well I dunno how the hell linux does it 'really' so try maybe Write a Linux Hardware Device Driver

I think that's 'probably' the best answer you are gonna get .. but you never know maybe we do have 'someone' who can lurking ? But don't hold your breath while you wait to find out, or you'll go blue !