Windows 98SE-Internet Explorer

Thread: Windows 98SE-Internet Explorer

Question Windows 98SE-Internet Explorer

The administrator has turned off the ability to access the internet options in internet explorer and I need to change the Start Page back to its default. I can access a user account which allows me to edit the registry and I can use the pole editor. The public user account is the one affected and I can't make changes please advise how to bypass and make changes to home page. The normal home page is a public access home page dealing with necessary services and information. The default page is now a search engine "www.munky.com." The IT individual who came down has no idea how to fix it.
    Last edited by Rodtoo; March 26th, 2004 at 02:25 PM.

If your system has a policy on it, it is there for a reason. Instead of trying to circumvent it, why not contact your IT support, and ask them to change the homepage for you? If they wont because there is a home page there that is company policy, then you need to respect that policy. If your home page was changed by some mal-ware and you want to switch it back without anyone being the wiser, again, you need to bite the bullet, and contact your IT.

I am sure others will offer a solution, but you wont get one from me. Call it professional courtesy towards your net admin...If you were to justify your reasoning a bit more, that might make it more reasonable to help you. Right now you seem like a dangerous person, and I don’t want to condone that sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    If your system has a policy on it, it is there for a reason. Instead of trying to circumvent it, why not contact your IT support, and ask them to change the homepage for you? If they wont because there is a home page there that is company policy, then you need to respect that policy. If your home page was changed by some mal-ware and you want to switch it back without anyone being the wiser, again, you need to bite the bullet, and contact your IT.

I am sure others will offer a solution, but you wont get one from me. Call it professional courtesy towards your net admin...If you were to justify your reasoning a bit more, that might make it more reasonable to help you. Right now you seem like a dangerous person, and I don’t want to condone that sh!t.
    Whilst you have a point ... Billy Boy also has a kb on it, & maybe his system admin shouldn't let him have access to regedit etc if he's so 'bad', this is hardly 'crime of the centuary' & I can think of many reasons why he might ask this innocently .. so here's the link Home Page Setting Changes Unexpectedly, or You Cannot Change Your Home Page Setting - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 320159

Confus-ed, you're no fun. We could have had this guy begging!

Well, since the cats out of the bag, I will concede...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Confus-ed, you're no fun. We could have had this guy begging!

Well, since the cats out of the bag, I will concede...
    Oh so I was meant to toy with him a bit first ? I just thought it was someone who couldn't google !

Q106419 would have also worked. A bit extreme, perhaps, but at least it would've facilitated an "undo" on the start page

Better tell your IT guy about home page hijackers and how to scan for trojans..
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."