what is "~"

Thread: what is "~"

what is "~"

every so often an icon appears on my desktop called "~".

I look at the proporties but there is nothing to suggest what it is, I delete it but it appears a few days later

any ideas

Banned
    it,s summot to do with outlook , it appears after u have patched xp ,,,they are workin on a fix ...

dont worry ,, have a look inside it with notepad

freddy

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    it,s summot to do with outlook , it appears after u have patched xp ,,,they are workin on a fix ...

dont worry ,, have a look inside it with notepad

freddy
    I remember a discussion here about that before, but you can't search the forum for a ~ so I can't find it. Are there any links to MS that explain more in detail what this is about?

There's a certain service pack (I can't remember off the top of my head) which causes Outlook Express to "backup" the address book onto the desktop with the ~.
    I guess it's OK to delete. I actually heard Microsoft isn't working on a fix for that. More of a reson to go to their Outlook 7 whenever that comes along.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

It gets replaced whenever you add anything to your OE address book. As you say, MS supposedly knows about it, but there is no fix as of yet.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I tried a MSKB search for tilde and desktop but turned up nothing, but I did find this
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

It has reportedly been caused by the April, 2003 Microsoft Critical Security Update, Outlook Express Update Q330994 due to a a glitch in the code of this Security Update that affects the Outlook Express backup Address Book.

MS03-014 is a Microsoft TechNet Security Bulletin with detailed information about the patch and the security risk that it mitigates.

Q330994 is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about the Patch.

It's up to you to decide whether or not to remove the patch in question, or keep it and delete the file when it reappears on the desktop.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

The character '~' is called a 'tilde' .. which you can google for

File Named Tilde (~) on Desktop

This gives three possible 'fixes' .. remove the 'errant' patch (don't do that !), just delete it each time it shows up (or ignore it) or change the startup location for the OE short cut (details all in the link )..