the loss of more than 3 million manufacturing jobs — one in six — since mid-2000
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: the loss of more than 3 million manufacturing jobs — one in six — since mid-2000

In one of the really, really Blue states.

the loss of more than 3 million manufacturing jobs — one in six — since mid-2000

From an article by MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer:
    Can this be true? If the trend holds by the end of 2007 we will have lost 1 in 3. Meaning 33 percent of manufacturing jobs will be have been lost in about 7 years?
    I knew it was bad but this is staggering.

Hi there,

Simple, most companies are out-sourcing. Cheaper labor (no unions and workers don't bitch). That's capitalism for you. Richer get richer, while the poor sucker work very hard and get's pennies for it.

Ju Leon...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/

Quote Originally Posted by techs
    From an article by MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer:
    Can this be true? If the trend holds by the end of 2007 we will have lost 1 in 3. Meaning 33 percent of manufacturing jobs will be have been lost in about 7 years?
    I knew it was bad but this is staggering.
    Yeah, it's that bad. States that rely heavily on manufacturing (like Michigan, can you say "FORMER automobile capitol of the world? ) have unemployment rates that are running between 1.5x and 2x the national rate. And that's the official unemployment rate.

The unofficial rate (which includes people who are considered "unemployable" ... ie, "You have been unemployed for so long we don't think you'll ever get a job again!") is even higher than the official reported rate.

I know things are bad, but until I see figures that aren't part of a slam campaigning against the president I won’t buy into any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I know things are bad, but until I see figures that aren't part of a slam campaigning against the president I won’t buy into any of it.
    Dude, who gives a cr*p about that right now? What this is saying is one third of our industrial base will be GONE by 2007. That is incredible. I knew we were losing some jobs in manufacuring but ONE THIRD! Were bein' freakin' WIPED out. Fdisked.

Banned
    like this famous picture ,,,made up of extras ,,,paid to perform this

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.toc.htm

It's all there, if you read all the references and citations.

The official "unemployment rate" is a fictional number and does not reflect the true unemployment rate. This dirty little trick has been played on us for decades now. Clinton was no less happy to play it on us than Bush was.

But what's catching up to Bush (whomever the fault belongs to!) is that the number of "unemployable" and "underemployed" is growing faster now than it ever has since they started breaking these figures out of the main "unemployed" statistic. Those numbers are there on the bls.gov web site too, but you gotta look real hard for them. You'll often find this statistic buried within another one which is optomistically termed "People leaving the workforce". That one includes both unemployables and retirees/seperatees, which further serves to disguise the facts.

"There are three kinds of lies ... lies, d*mned lies, and statistics"
    (either Mark Twain or Disraeli, depending on which source you consult)

I am not talking about unemployment, presidential campaigns, etc. I am amazed that in a 7 year period we could lose 33 percent of our manufacturing base. Has this ever happened to any country before? It really has me wondering if this is the start of an economic collapse.

Well, gee golly damn, I guess its time to innovate again. This is the way free markets work. If two people can do the exact same job, but the second person is willing to get payed a lower wage, who gets hired? What's the answer? Find something we can do that India, China, or whoever, can't. If we want to maintain the share of the world's wealth that we now have (a percentage ridiculously larger than our population would dictate) we will need to constantly innovate.

Blue-collar manufacturing jobs are going to continue to go the way of the dodo as long as they are too cost intensive in the US and easily done somewhere else.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I wonder how much of that is because of Walmart? You notice how they no longer have the Buy american campaign? Most things sold there are no longer produced here because of there agressive "give it to us cheaper" business plan.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Well, gee golly damn, I guess its time to innovate again. This is the way free markets work. If two people can do the exact same job, but the second person is willing to get payed a lower wage, who gets hired? What's the answer? Find something we can do that India, China, or whoever, can't. If we want to maintain the share of the world's wealth that we now have (a percentage ridiculously larger than our population would dictate) we will need to constantly innovate.

Blue-collar manufacturing jobs are going to continue to go the way of the dodo as long as they are too cost intensive in the US and easily done somewhere else.
    If help desk services are any example, it doesn't matter if they can do it better or not.

How much of this is due to Unions asking for ridiculous amounts of money and benefits???
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    If help desk services are any example, it doesn't matter if they can do it better or not.
    If the new employees can't hack it AND customers vote with their wallet on the issue, watch those help desk jobs come flying back.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

If the new employees can't hack it AND customers vote with their wallet on the issue, watch those help desk jobs come flying back.
    It's already starting with some DELLectable companies.

I categorically disagree. Since when did China become the 51st state? Your argument is based on a job in China being the same as a job in the US. First off we have laws in this country against polluting the environment and they don't have any in China then we should see to it there are prohibitions or taxes on goods made there. Secondly if workers in China cannot have free trade unions and we believe it it is a right then we have a right to either block their exports or tax them. Thirdly, every country has a right to look out for its own interests. It is a matter of national security to maintain our manufacturing base.
    And don't give me that old line that "protectionism" caused the Depression. I am talking about leveling the playing field.
    Lastly, this whole idea that this is how "free markets" work may be true. But then it is time to "unfree" the markets a bit. Otherwise eventually every good and service will be performed by which ever country will do it the most cheaply. And there goes our wealth and way of life.
    And by the way, do you see the similiarties between the fall of Communisn in the Soviet Union and the fall of the American economy?
    The SU doggedly adhered to an economic principle without compromise even while their economy was falling apart. Allow a few people to grow food on their own? Nyet! Even though it would have solved their food problem.
    Put up some barriers against outsourcing? Hell no that is how "free markets" work.
    And lets not forget that despite their economy tanking they spent huge amonts on defense.
    Just like us.