windows xp media center 2004

Thread: windows xp media center 2004

windows xp media center 2004

a friend has recently purchase a hp m487.uk package pc with this version of xp, she is experiencing a problem with media center detecting the dail up internet connection. when the machine was first started she was presented with a dialogue with a link to the new connection wizard she set up a uk online acount and everything was fine. she the changed from uk online to freeserve and deleted the uk online connection, now only has freeserve work for internet browsing ect, and media center cannot get the media guide as it stated "unable to connect to the internet via LAN nor is there a dailup connection available" this happens with the connection is active or not. i have tried reseting the media line up, setting the internet connection in media center and personaly gone throught every page on Help and Support and on the microsoft website and cannot find a solution to this problem. i believe that the dialogue she was first presented with registers the internet connection in media center. if anyone knows how to get this back or knows another way i would be gratefull for any help.

P.S if any one has any experience with media center they will know that without downloading the media guide you are unable to view any tv channels nor can you manually tune them in (oversight by microsoft there) also she was not provided with the wintv software that usually comes with her tv card (supplied as part of package/NOT installed after purchase)

thanx in advance sean

you could try the suggestions here

Or run the installer again and see if it offers you a new isp.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Try www.thegreenbutton.com. I think this is discussed in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    you could try the suggestions here

Or run the installer again and see if it offers you a new isp.

just to note: the problem is with Windows XP Media Center 2004 a new release of windows xp. specifically the problem is with the media center program at the heart of the changes Windows Media Player is working fine but is not designed to use the tv tuner unlike media center. sorry if the origional message was confusing as it is lengthy.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Try www.thegreenbutton.com. I think this is discussed in the forums.
    thanx for this post i've not checked it properly yet but from the home page it looks like the type of link i wanted thanx again