[RESOLVED] Windows 98 + drivers

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 98 + drivers

Me

Thumbs down Windows 98 + drivers

Where are the Windows 98 and above drivers for the OPTi 931 chipset?

Turtle

Angry

That's what I'd like to know. I just upgraded to Windows 98 and now my sound card doesn't work. I come to download the drivers and nothing for Win98. This is crazy. I'm not going to go out and buy another soundcard just to adapt to Win98!!! What a rip off! If anyone has information as to where we can find Win98 drivers for an Opti sound card (and yes I realize that Opti is distributed between other companies), I would greatly appreciate it!!! [email protected]

Thank you!!!

Turtle

Unhappy

Bad news. I went to www.opti.com

Audio Drivers

OPTi no longer makes audio chips and we do not have drivers for Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Linux. Please contact the sound card manufacturer for these drivers.

Look on this page for it> It works with 95 might work with 98>> the only thing you may have to do is set the configuration in device manager differently if there is a conflict of any type
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

You also did not say if it was an isa card (plug and play or legacy). If it is an isa card:
    Even plug n pray card may need to be manually set for win 98 to use it properly. check to see if it has an irq conflict or if device manager states it is not working.
    You may need to set the irq as reserved in your computer's bios for the sound card (EX. reserve irq for isa legacy card)
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

Darren Wilson

if you look in the drivers folder on your win98 cd-rom, then under Audio, then Opti, you will find win98 drivers for the 931

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

You should be able to use the Windows 95 driver, in Windows 98.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Turtle

You're right. Opti 931 and 933 are on the win98 cd rom. However, the 924 isn't. That's what I have. I installed the 95 drivers from this website and it asked for an updated driver. I'm not too good at tweaking numbers to make it work! AUGHHH!!!

Turtle
    Unzip the driver into a new folder on your hard drive.
    Go to control panel, system, device manager
    Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
    Highlight, (Click Once) on each device that has a reference to your sound card, and Remove it.
    If they are not listed there, then they will be in other devices.
    Once all sound card devices are removed, click the Refresh button.
    Windows should find the sound card again.
    When it asks for the driver, direct it to the new folder you made on your hard drive with the drivers in it.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Darren Wilson

Turtle.

You can't blame MS for this one. The 924 is a very old chipset and nowadays no OEM companies use it due to its limited capabilities, which is why there are no Win98 drivers for it. The main reason that it has no win98 drivers is the lack of Direct X support for it, and we all know that Win98 installs DX5 by default ( SE uses DX6.1a ). For the sake of a few pounds and saved time looking for the drivers, Sound cards are so cheap nowadays that they can be picked up for next to nothing.Look in the second hand columns of your local newspaper or buy a computer magazine that deals in used goods, and see if you can pick up a SB16 or similar from there. If not, go back to win95.

Bottom line is that you won't find drivers for the 924 ( win98/2k ) unless you write them yourself or know someone who can.

Sorry.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

Doza67

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    if you look in the drivers folder on your win98 cd-rom, then under Audio, then Opti, you will find win98 drivers for the 931

Does that go for the OPTi 82C 930 also? I have also lost sound running Win98.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doza67
    Does that go for the OPTi 82C 930 also? I have also lost sound running Win98.
    i,ve got them on a floppy disk if u want them ..

freddy

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Bringing back threads from the dead???