Controllers wont work

Thread: Controllers wont work

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Controllers wont work

When I try to use my M$ sidewinder game pad, it is detected and installed but wont work, when I go into the control panel to find out why, I click on Game Pads and get.

The Instruction at "0x77f58267" referenced at "0x00000078" could not be "read" Click on OK to terminate the program.

I have attempted to remove the prefetch information and also have reinstalled direct X 9 but no luck. Any suggestions? I dont want to reinstall windows over something like this
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Lightbulb

'Memory read errors' are often misinterpeted as 'bad memory'. This is not the case, however. Typically, this error is generated when a specific registry key and/or file system object cannot be accessed due to restrictions imposed by either Policies or NTFS permissions. The way to solve this is to first determine what is being accessed immediately prior to the error. The time-tested way to do this is to download FileMon & RegMon from http://www.sysinternals.com.

Run these two tools in the background as you re-create the symptoms that generate the error and then view the logs to see what's being accessed. Using this information, you can pin down the root cause of the error & facilitate a fix.

-mike

What does dxdiag.exe have to say for itself ? {you can 'probably' get that to go from 'run' or in xp it lives in start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system information, its then an option on 'tools' in that} (well about the controller) .. & hows it connected ? Gameport on your motherboard/ sound card or usb ?

DXDIAG poops out as well, I decided to format and reinstall and I am still getting the same results. I have tried both my retail XP pro and and fresh corp copy from the MS volume license site....this is getting very odd.........

I have installed DX from my UT2k4 CD as well as from the site with the same results.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Using the tools I recommended not only could've saved you the trouble of a reinstall, but also would've assisted in troubleshooting the root cause.
    Last edited by NEPATEC; March 30th, 2004 at 01:16 AM.

Are you gonna answer how its flipping connected ? the error you are getting is resultant from the control panel extension that fires with a gamepad connected, when it loads (or here tries) the 'test page' dll for your device .. so the error might be coming from the device or most likely from whatever it is connected to (gameport or usb or 'whatever') ...

Personally I wouldn't be surprised that Rad did ignore the filemon & regmon advice, especially as they ain't for the 'faint hearted' (read 'mad techo nerd') & 'really' to get a clear picture you want about another three tools running too .. IMHO only for programmers concerned about their own processes, what was he gonna do ? start re-writing all the drivers ?

Its connected via usb

Here is the info for the 2 seconds it takes to hit the icon for controllers

96 7:26:44 AM explorer.exe:1768 QUERY INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\Shayne SUCCESS Attributes: D
    97 7:26:44 AM explorer.exe:1768 CLOSE C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe SUCCESS
    98 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    99 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-47E72AFD.pf FILE NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
    100 7:26:44 AM explorer.exe:1768 SET INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\Shayne\ntuser.dat.LOG SUCCESS Length: 20480
    101 7:26:44 AM explorer.exe:1768 SET INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\Shayne\ntuser.dat.LOG SUCCESS Length: 24576
    102 7:26:44 AM explorer.exe:1768 SET INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\Shayne\ntuser.dat.LOG SUCCESS Length: 28672
    103 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\Documents and Settings\Shayne SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: Traverse
    104 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe.Local FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
    105 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\Documents and Settings\Shayne\shell32.dll FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
    106 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll SUCCESS Attributes: A
    107 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll.manifest FILE NOT FOUND Attributes: Error
    108 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    109 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll SUCCESS Length: 8240640
    110 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll.123.Manifest FILE NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
    111 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 CLOSE C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll SUCCESS
    112 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
    113 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 QUERY INFORMATION C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll SUCCESS Length: 8240640
    114 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll.124.Manifest FILE NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
    115 7:26:44 AM rundll32.exe:1228 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll.124.Config FILE NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

I have the entire 300 line log if that is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Its connected via usb
    A-ha ! .. thought so

'Tricky' now though .. lots of issues/fixes with these, so some links ..

SideWinder USB Port Controller Reports "Not Connected" Status (I know its not showing like this, but its 'related' the 'completely remove it' instructions are helpful too.. )

SideWinder USB Troubleshooter

& the usb port is what on what chipset ? (so brand of pc {or motherboard info is better} & if you know the actual chip controller running the port then I'm staggered !)

Do you have other usb devices, either connected currently or used 'other times' ? .. being able to test how good any usb drivers are will make life much easier ..

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Here is the info for the 2 seconds it takes to hit the icon for controllers
    I have the entire 300 line log if that is needed
    Where was all that from ? .. that looks like a profiling error .. (but as its only 1/2 the tale I can't say for sure)..

It wont let me post more than that, its from the program that was recommended earlier.

More on the situation since I have some time.

The motherboard is an Intel D875PBZ the newest revision using the next to newest bios and running on the Intel D875 chipset

I have an Intel 2.8ghz with HT running @ 800mhz bus and dual channel DDR.

The machine will see the controller when it is plugged in and it does show up in the device manager but will not work on any game or program. I cna even remove the controller entirely and game controllers in the CP will still poop. When doing a DXDIAG I get an error that the memory couldnt be written. I run DXDIAG the second time and get an error saying that the problem is with direct input.

I dont understand whats going on since this is a fresh install and I have used a new XP Pro disk that i downloaded from MS site. I have also used multiple copies of DX one from the ms site and the other from my UT2k4 cd

Just a shot in the dark, you have probably checked this. Is it plugged into the front mounted USB and is there any chance that one of the pins to the mobo is off or whatever port has a bent pin? Try it in a different USB port?

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Just a shot in the dark, you have probably checked this. Is it plugged into the front mounted USB and is there any chance that one of the pins to the mobo is off or whatever port has a bent pin? Try it in a different USB port?

Nope, even after a clean install and never having plugged in the controller it errors when trying to open the game section of the CP

Lightbulb I have seen the light!!!!

Oh my god , I have finally found the answer to this problem. Just for ****s and giggles I decided to remove the other usb items on my machine one by one and the first one I removed (the remote controll IR receiver for my Asus TV Tuner card) caused everything to work perfect. I can plug anything else under the sun in that same port but when the asus receiver is there, it poops.

That was a weird issue....

Thanks to all who put in their $.02 to help me with this weird issue