Stop error 0x000008e using external hard drive

Thread: Stop error 0x000008e using external hard drive

Stop error 0x000008e using external hard drive

Hello all, first off this is a wonderful forum. If anyone knows how to help me this is the place. I have and newer Hp laptop running windows xp. I can list all the stats but I dont think they are the problem. Everything was working fine until I decided to get an external hard drive that plugs into the firewire IEEE 4-pin port. At first the computer recognized the extra drives and life was good. Then I started getting occasional blue stop screen when I plugged, unplugged the hard drive. Then i started getting the blue screen after i tried to go to my desktop after the xp welcome screen. I spent 2 hrs on the phone with hp (-fun) they had me go into safe mode and into msconfig and disable my startup properties. I then had to repair the xp system from the cd. Then everything seemed to work and it asked me if I wanted to change the startup properties back to the normal, which i did. Bam, another blue screen. So i figure something on the startup/task bar is causing the stop message. How do I change or fix this so that I can use the external hard drive? Or do I just need to take the thing back?

It is an IO gear 120Gb hard drive, I have emailed them with this question and no respose.

Here is the Stop error

Stop 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xF7AC78B2, 0XEC01BC10, 0X0000000
    Stop sysdrv.sys - address F7AC78B2 base at F7AC7000, datestamp 4021c60f

everytime this happens the only way I can get past the welcome screen is to repair the Xp OS which takes 30 min each time. right now everythings works but only because most items in the task bar are disabled, and I am gunshy about pluggin in the external hard drive.
    I am hoping someone has an idea of what to do. Thank you sooo much for any help.

let me look more into this, but it sounds like your memory might be bad

Are you running service pack 1? And have all the windows updates? Latest drivers and bios update?
    Last edited by +Daemon+; March 30th, 2004 at 07:26 PM.

The Hp people had me re-seat the memory and pull the internal hard drive(both didnt do anything for the blue screen of joy) and it has 2x256 cards. It never had any type of problem before using the external hard drive. Yes I have gone to the MS website and down loaded all updates. I did do some of the updates after turning disabling the startup/task bar stuff, now I am just leery of trying to reproduce the error before I get a handle on what is causing it. I have had to repair the OS twice now. BY the way you folks are awesome.
    Last edited by skeeter; March 30th, 2004 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter
    The Hp people had me re-seat the memory and pull the internal hard drive(both didnt do anything for the blue screen of joy) and it has 2x256 cards. It never had any type of problem before using the external hard drive. BY the way you folks are awesome
    is this a new firewire card? pcmcia card?

The laptop is still "as is" out of the box. HP ze4630us with an AMD athlon 2500+ 1.87 proccessor. 40 gb hard drive. 512 RAM. No new cards or anyhting ive added.

k, well any electronics out of the box doesnt mean its good just a FYI. From that stop number you posted every article from microsoft goes after bad memory.

If you havnt put any new drivers on, I sugguest getting some new drivers if thy are newer than what you have. Also if its right out of the box you will need to get the windows updates, which could help.

link to your drivers

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwar...etype=software

I sure appreciate all the help, you are all awesome. I loaded all the updates and new drivers. It seems to be working without the blue screen. I have not returned the startup/task bar to its normal mode thru msconfig. When I plugged in the external hard drive it made the sound of it recog. something and then the drive appeared. I also had to disable the "quick" option in the safely remove hardware feature to get it to allow me to disconnect the external hard drive. I have been wondering if this is all due to hot swapping the hard drive. Thats seems be be when the problem started, but i havent heard of others having this problem. The literature with the drive stated it was hot swappable.Thanks again for your quick resonse.

Blue-Screen Problem (STOP: 0x0000008E)

hi all,

I encountered similar problem. Pls help ...

I recently purchase a Desktop Replacement from Acer. Model : Acer Aspire 1711SC. Purchase on 10 Sept 2004. This model come with 80GB Seagate Desktop HD, 256mb PC2700 333mhz DDR-SDRam.

I've replaced the 3.5" HD with Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm 8mb buffer HD. Had also input 2pcs 1GB PC2700 333mhz DDR-SDRam. Aspire 1711SC do support 2GB Ram (max)

Everything is fine. OS is Windows XP Home. But with I plugged in external HD. I will have a Blue-Screen follow by Auto-Reboot of System.

External HD tried :
    * 30GB IBM 2.5" HD with Sarotech Cuite firewire casing
    * 60GB IBM 2.5" HD with Hotdrive USB2.0 & 1394 duel interface
    * 80GB Toshiba 2.5" HD with no name 2.5" firewire casing
    * 80GB Seagate 3.5" HD with IceCube 3.5" firewire casing
    * 80GB Maxtor 3.5" HD with Maxtor 3000DV Storage (firewire interface)

All the above HD result in the same problem. If I plugged in the HD when the OS is running, Blue-screen will appear follow by Auto-Reboot of system. If I plugged in the HD, then start up the system, the HD seems working fine.

Had called up Acer Helpdesk many many times and they asked me try this and that, nothing works. Acer still looking into the problem but they suspect the HD and Ram that I've installed casing the problem.

Hope there's someone there to that can help me resolved my problem ASAP.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xF7A038B2,0xF78E69A0,0x00000000)

*** sysdrv.sys - address F7A038B2 base at F7A03000, DateStamp 4021C60f

The Bios of the Desktop replacement is '3A14'. Had just flash the lastest Bios '3A20'. My problem still persist.

Pls advice

First turn off the auto reboot - right click my computer, properties, advanced tab, start up and recovery button - uncheck the box for automatically restarting. Now you will get a proper Bsod.

External hd's need power - often a pc cannot supply everything it needs. Is this external hdd firewire or usb? Is it possible you are causing a short when plugging it in while the pc is on? Could you be wiggling the plug a bit when trying to plug it in so that it makes contact somewhere it shouldn't? Do you have an external power supply for this external hdd?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I have a few external casing. I have tried external casing using USB2.0, 4pin firewire, 6pin firewire. My problem still persist with or without external AC being plug in. Some of my 2.5" HD casing can be power by USB2.0 and 6pin firewire. Situation still remain unchange. My desktop replacement will have a blue-screen follow by Auto-Reboot. This will only happen when I plug in my externals when my OS is running. If I plug in my externals first then power up my PC. Everything seem fine.

I've fine the root cause of my problem by re-building my who system. That is format everything, reinstalled every application one by one and after every successful installed of application, I would try my PC with external HD. When I installed a application called "File Securer", my mentioned problems started once more. If I uninstalled this problem, everything seem fine. I decide to remove this particular problem. There's no more Blue-Screen Issue.

* File Securer is a program to lock files, programs or folder with password.
    * It's a freeware that I've downloaded from CNET.
    * I didn't even started using the program after installation and yet it gave a hell lots of problems.

Anyway, appreciate your reply and solution.

Cheers,
    Stingrray

Thanks for posting your fix... something others may need to look out for.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stingrray
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I have a few external casing. I have tried external casing using USB2.0, 4pin firewire, 6pin firewire. My problem still persist with or without external AC being plug in. Some of my 2.5" HD casing can be power by USB2.0 and 6pin firewire. Situation still remain unchange. My desktop replacement will have a blue-screen follow by Auto-Reboot. This will only happen when I plug in my externals when my OS is running. If I plug in my externals first then power up my PC. Everything seem fine.

I've fine the root cause of my problem by re-building my who system. That is format everything, reinstalled every application one by one and after every successful installed of application, I would try my PC with external HD. When I installed a application called "File Securer", my mentioned problems started once more. If I uninstalled this problem, everything seem fine. I decide to remove this particular problem. There's no more Blue-Screen Issue.

* File Securer is a program to lock files, programs or folder with password.
    * It's a freeware that I've downloaded from CNET.
    * I didn't even started using the program after installation and yet it gave a hell lots of problems.

Anyway, appreciate your reply and solution.

Cheers,
    Stingrray

Thank you so much Stingray !!

I have been searching for a resolution to the same problem for weeks with my laptop and desktop. uninstalling that damn "File securer" did the trick.