Ignorantly deleted my USB controllers: XP

Thread: Ignorantly deleted my USB controllers: XP

Ignorantly deleted my USB controllers: XP

While experiencing problems trying to install a cursed 1150 lexmark printer using a USB port, I encountered one solution in this forum which might be to delete and reinstall "your USB controllers". Well, what I did was go into Device Manager and dutifly delete my root USB controllers. I thought, when I then booted my system these controllers would be reinstalled, but, sadly, Win/XP did not recognize that which had been deleted. XP said you have new hardware, but I don't know what it is! My experience recently is XP has difficulty supporting that which it known, let alone the "unkown".

So, now I sit here worse off than when I started. Now, I have this Lexmark printer which won't install on a usb port, that is longer defined to XP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by midniteal
    While experiencing problems trying to install a cursed 1150 lexmark printer using a USB port, I encountered one solution in this forum which might be to delete and reinstall "your USB controllers". Well, what I did was go into Device Manager and dutifly delete my root USB controllers. I thought, when I then booted my system these controllers would be reinstalled, but, sadly, Win/XP did not recognize that which had been deleted. XP said you have new hardware, but I don't know what it is! My experience recently is XP has difficulty supporting that which it known, let alone the "unkown".

So, now I sit here worse off than when I started. Now, I have this Lexmark printer which won't install on a usb port, that is longer defined to XP.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I see from the other thread that it is an HP computer. What model? You refer to having AIV USB controllers, but I assume you mean VIA. If it is in fact VIA, the chipset driver is available here. There is also a usb driver available here, however, you need to have XP updated to SP1 first.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    I see from the other thread that it is an HP computer. What model? You refer to having AIV USB controllers, but I assume you mean VIA. If it is in fact VIA, the chipset driver is available here. There is also a usb driver available here, however, you need to have XP updated to SP1 first.
    Thank you for your reply. It is HP model 553W with SP1 installed, and yes, VIA drivers is what I saw for USB Host Controllers. What I'm puzzeled by is the fact that XP doesn't recognize the USB controllers after I've uninstalled them and then rebooted the system. I expected XP to request drivers for the missing controllers at that time. XP says "Unknown" for the new hardware it then found.

Before I can correct this problem, regardless of the availibility of drivers, doesn't XP have to know what devices has been deleted? Should I have deleted the VIA drivers as well (please see my append under Printers/Scanners/etc., Lexmark 1150 installation failure)?

Thank you for your reply. It is HP model 553W with SP1 installed, and yes, VIA drivers is what I saw for USB Host Controllers. What I'm puzzeled by is the fact that XP doesn't recognize the USB controllers after I've uninstalled them and then rebooted the system. I expected XP to request drivers for the missing controllers at that time. XP says "Unknown" for the new hardware it then found.

Before I can correct this problem, regardless of the availibility of drivers, doesn't XP have to know what devices has been deleted? Should I have deleted the VIA drivers as well (please see my append under Printers/Scanners/etc., Lexmark 1150 installation failure)?
    Later... I managed to install the USB controllers. I was letting windows search for the drivers. Went back and browsed a list and managed to reestablish my root controllers. I got further along installing lexmark's 1150 after reinstalling
    the drivers, i.e., got by the failure to attach. However, it didn't install properly.
    I've restarted this install so many times, I've probably hosed my system. I'm about ready to return the 1150 for a different brand.

XP will not recognize devices that are newer than it is. That's why you need the drivers.

Your problem appears to be that 553W does not have a via chipset, it has an intel chipset. See here. You need to install the intel chipset drivers. Delete any device that says via first.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Later... I managed to install the USB controllers. I was letting windows search for the drivers. Went back and browsed a list and managed to reestablish my root controllers. I got further along installing lexmark's 1150 after reinstalling
    the drivers, i.e., got by the failure to attach. However, it didn't install properly.
    I've restarted this install so many times, I've probably hosed my system. I'm about ready to return the 1150 for a different brand.
    Bad move. Never install chipset or system software by browsing from a list unless you are very sure of what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    XP will not recognize devices that are newer than it is. That's why you need the drivers.

Your problem appears to be that 553W does not have a via chipset, it has an intel chipset. See here. You need to install the intel chipset drivers. Delete any device that says via first.
    Thank you for your reply. I looked at that pointed to by "here". My model number is 553W. I recall that when I purchased it, and Belarc confirms this.

But my system only has two USB ports. The 553W at "here" has 6. HP did some funny things during the period when I bought this machine. The Model 553W I bought was handled only be Walmart. I saw other 553 models at other stores with, for example Intel processors, and mine is AMD 2100.

I know you aren't supposed to post the same questions on two forums. But I asked a similar question, but one which is less complete, on the Printer/Scanner forum. And, think it probably should have been here. Please educate me a little on these entries I see in Device Manager under

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
    USB 2.0 Hub
    USB 2.0 Hub
    USB Printing Support (this associated with 1150 printer after partial install)
    VIA REV 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

I don't feel like I can mess with these things unless I have some idea what the different entries are. Thanks in advance.

OK for every two physical usb ports you get one hub and one controller. Now, the thing is, they may be physically available on the motherboard, but not connected to the case with the cable and the bracket.

What I see there is you have 4 usb ports in total. As for the printer. It is VITAL that the drivers be installed first and then when the system is rebooted and fully to desktop the printer is plugged in (while already plugged into the mains and its ready light glowing). Then xp can install the drivers correctly.

Some models insist you plug the printer in during the usb driver install, this is also fine.

How exactly did you install your printer driver? before or after plugging the usb into the computer?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you for your reply. I looked at that pointed to by "here". My model number is 553W. I recall that when I purchased it, and Belarc confirms this.

But my system only has two USB ports. The 553W at "here" has 6. HP did some funny things during the period when I bought this machine. The Model 553W I bought was handled only be Walmart. I saw other 553 models at other stores with, for example Intel processors, and mine is AMD 2100.

I know you aren't supposed to post the same questions on two forums. But I asked a similar question, but one which is less complete, on the Printer/Scanner forum. And, think it probably should have been here. Please educate me a little on these entries I see in Device Manager under

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
    USB 2.0 Hub
    USB 2.0 Hub
    USB Printing Support (this associated with 1150 printer after partial install)

I don't feel like I can mess with these things unless I have some idea what the different entries are. Thanks in advance.
    Very thoughtful of hp to use the same model number for machines w/ different specs. Well, if you've got an amd, we can be sure you don't have an intel chipset. As far as the entries in device manager, I believe that you should only have one usb hub and one host contoller. Did you ever install the via drivers I suggested in post #2? If not, I would recommend installing them now.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK for every two physical usb ports you get one hub and one controller. Now, the thing is, they may be physically available on the motherboard, but not connected to the case with the cable and the bracket.

What I see there is you have 4 usb ports in total. As for the printer. It is VITAL that the drivers be installed first and then when the system is rebooted and fully to desktop the printer is plugged in (while already plugged into the mains and its ready light glowing). Then xp can install the drivers correctly.

Some models insist you plug the printer in during the usb driver install, this is also fine.

How exactly did you install your printer driver? before or after plugging the usb into the computer?
    Thank you for your reply. Installed printer driver after plugging the USB into the computer. I've worked through these problems with your help. Please see Printers/scanners/etc forum. My lexmark 1150 printer is now working.

missing usb hubs from device manager

Hi ,
    my pc recently crashed due to a registry malfunction so I did a install of windows in the same partition (as to not to have lost all files) .
    When I got it back I forgot to unplug the usb devices during the reinstall of xp.

Now I have no usb root hubs in the device manager but they still work just not able to access them. I have a web cam that turns on when the pc is booted but I can't access it.
    I have replaced the MSI drivers from the disc & went to get the up to date ones as well, but no results.

Is there a way to reinstall them because it doesn't detect them on it's own.

AMD 64 with xp home VIA drivers & MSI motherboard.
    Any help would be great , thanks in advance.
    T4Dog