Any recommendations for new MB?

Thread: Any recommendations for new MB?

Any recommendations for new MB?

Hope this is the right place to post - sorry if not!

I'm looking for an upgrade mobo for my girlfriend. She's currently using my old Intel 440bx with a PII 266 CPU. It's solid as a rock (and will be the basis of a new fileserver) but it's way past the time to upgrade

Call me a snob, but I prefer Pentium as a CPU. So I need a board suitable for P4 anywhere between 1GHz and 2Ghz. I want a fairly bare mobo - the fewer on-board bits the better. Ideally no on-board NIC, video or sound. It needs at least 3 PCI. Ideally 3 PCI plus AGP or 4 PCI. I want to re-use the existing case if possible - I think the formset is ATX.

The PC is primarily used for playing RPG games (things like Baldur's Gate and all the various spin-offs) plus browsing the 'net and playing MP3s.

We've got a whole lot of SDRAM that I'd like to re-use if possible (last time I upgraded my own mobo I didn't check with anyone, and ended up needing new Rambus memory and a new video card - it worked out far more expensive than I wanted, and memory is still ridiculously expensive!!) Looking for a board that can support at least up to 2Gb, possibly more.

Anyone got a similar system, and can recommend a suitable board? The most importnat thing is that it is stable and reliable. I plan to run Win2k on the system.

So then:

Pentium CPU between 1 and 2 gig
    Fairly standard memory (not Rambus)
    The fewer on-board bits the better
    Something that will fit in a case which was designed for ATX (midi-tower)
    Memory at least up to 2Gb
    At least 3 PCI - ideally 3 PCI plus AGP

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
    Dan.
    MG Metro Turbos rule

If you want SDRAM 168 pin stuff and not DDR SDRAM then you are probably either looking at a horrible onboard everything or a second hand motherboard. All new motherboards (I have seen) are DDR.

My preference is for Asus, with an intel or sis chipset.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks NooNoo.

DDR is cool - as far as I remember (it's been a while since I bought any new bits) DDR is not all that expensive. Just so long as it isn't Rambus, as last time I bought some it cost me over £100 for 256MB

Just as a matter of interest, what setup do you have? My preference is for Pentium, but I don't really know why - perhaps I'm just some sort of snob Maybe it's time I looked at other CPUs.

Dan.
    MG Metro Turbos rule

What setup... hmmm in relation to which computer? I have a range to choose from
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."