Google Mail + 1 Gig of free storage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Mail + 1 Gig of free storage

Google Mail + 1 Gig of free storage

This better not be an April fools Joke!!

http://gmail.google.com/
    W

Quote Originally Posted by Diver01
    This better not be an April fools Joke!!

http://gmail.google.com/
    Hope not, I just signed up to be on their list.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Me too...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Same here, it looks like it's at least worth trying.
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

Not a hoax: http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusi...lIsNoHoax.html

This was the April 1st prank: Google Jobs

What interests me is now the Google watch: http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusi...Debuts414.html

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Seriously.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Cool. Now bring on the IPO already!
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Yeah, but do you really want your e-mail available to Google so they can search it and give you "relevant" advertising? There's no privacy here whatsover...you're opening up everything someone sends you to be be searched, albeit supposedly only for you, so they can target you with sponsor ads. Even if it is supposedly only their computers doing the searching, I have a hard time willingly giving away that right.

Oh they can search my spam all they like
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Oh they can search my spam all they like
    Too true.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Privacy advocates are concerned that there's one big flaw with Google Inc.'s free e-mail service: The company plans to read the messages.

LA TIMES reporting on Friday: The Internet search firm insists that it needs to know what's in the e-mails that pass through its system -- so that they can be sprinkled with advertisements Google thinks are relevant. After all, revenue from those targeted ads will pay for the Gmail service, which began a limited test Thursday, offering up to 500 times as much e-mail storage as competing Web e-mail programs from Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp.

The TIMES adds: The electronic letters won't be read by Google employees; computers will handle that chore. Nonetheless, the spector of seeing an ad for an antacid beside a message from a friend complaining about stomach pain is enough to make some people nervous about the e-mail service.

"There will undoubtedly be some folks that will see this and freak out," said Ray Everett-Church, chief privacy officer for TurnTide Inc., an anti-spam company in Conshohocken, Pa. The aggressive advertising strategy may put a damper on Google's biggest move yet away from its core business of Internet search. After reading the privacy policy on the Gmail website Thursday, consumer-rights groups began sending complaints to the privately held Mountain View, Calif., company and preparing to warn users to stay away.

"The privacy implications of going through and perusing a customer's e-mail to display targeted advertising could be the Achilles' heel for Google's services," said Jordana Beebe, the communications director for the Privacy Rights *************, an consumer group in San Diego.

The consternation caught Larry Page, Google's co-founder and president of products, off guard.

"I'm very surprised that there are these kinds of questions," he said Thursday.

For a Gig of free Space...I think I can handle a few adds here and there...there only going to be text based anywaze...In some ways I think it could be helpful

If I were planning a trip to visit a friend in Florida man instant access to hotels in my email...sweet...

Does anyone know what the size limit of the file attachments will be?
    "GOOD 2 GO"

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Still waiting for information off them....
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Devil
    Yeah, but do you really want your e-mail available to Google so they can search it and give you "relevant" advertising? There's no privacy here whatsover...you're opening up everything someone sends you to be be searched, albeit supposedly only for you, so they can target you with sponsor ads. Even if it is supposedly only their computers doing the searching, I have a hard time willingly giving away that right.
    At first I was thinking no way... I don't want my e-mail read by Google or advertising as I would would not ever need that much space for e-mail... But then I began to think 1GB is slightly more than what I keep for updates, which at this point is slightly less than 700MB! It would be nice if I could just upload all my updates to Google that way when I get to play computer know-it-all with friends I can just access the updates at GMail...

Who cares if Google knows I have W2k SP4 or ForceWare 56.72!