Thread: Windows Installer Problem

Question Windows Installer Problem

Laptop Specs:
    Sager Notebook
    98SE
    128MB Ram
    12GB HD
    Processor: Intel X86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3

Problem: At first I was getting errors with Msgsvr32 caused page fault in MSI.dll, and the same in Explorer on this clients machine. I downloaded a new MSI.dll file and with success was able to stop the problem. I ran virus checks, spyware programs to make sure laptop was clean. I opened several programs, MS Money, IE, Quicken and oters to make sure all was fine. They opened ok. Went to open Word 200 and received message " This aplication requires windows installer to run." Google searched and found item needs to be reinstalled. Tried to reinstall and received message " Windows installer updated, reboot and run setup again." Did as instructed, install does the same thing. MS keyboard advises to run the setup from windows explorer, double click the setup.exe instead of from autorun. Tried this, still the same problem. Any ideas as to the problem here? Any help appreciated. PS: Would like to keep from wiping out if possible.

Lightbulb

You mentioned that you "downloaded" MSI.DLL . . .

Did you download just this one .DLL? And, if so, are you sure that it is the correct version?

The fastest and most effective way to correct a problem with the MSI engine is to download the latest version from

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/InstMsiA.exe

and run the instmsia.exe file. This will install and re-sync all dependency files that deal with the Windows Installer engine. NEVER replace just one file (especially from some 3rd-party web site) unless you are 100% sure that it is the correct version.

If you cannot run instmsia.exe, simply restart the computer using the F8 option "Command Prompt Only" and delete the following files from your \Windows\System directory:

MSIEXEC.EXE
    MSI.DLL
    MSIMSG.DLL
    MSPATCHA.DLL

Note that these files cannot be deleted while Windows is running, as they are "in use" and locked. You need to be in 'real DOS' to delete or rename them.

Once you have deleted these files, restart Windows in Safe Mode (from the command line, this would be WIN /D:M ) and re-attempt to run the instmsia.exe that you downloaded from the link I've provided.

This will solve the issue.

Mike
    Last edited by NEPATEC; April 4th, 2004 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks NEPATEC, that did the trick. Another tool saved if ever needed again. Much appreciated.

No trouble at all; glad I could assist

-mike

zonie can you tell me what movements lead to this behavior, because I’m stuck with same problem and what to skip it in future ?

webhelpboard.com - free chat with professional.