USB Mass Storage Device (problems)

Thread: USB Mass Storage Device (problems)

Question USB Mass Storage Device (problems)

I have a USB 2.0 external 200GB Hard drive. I've been using it for the at least the past 3-4 months. I removed it from my PC and plugged it into another PC to grab some files. When I put it back on my main PC i get this error from device manager:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

in device manager there is a yellow exlamation mark next to the USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE.
    I've tried to plug it into 4 other pc's and it works just fine...
    I've tried to unplug it & re-plug & restart the computer, but nothing.
    I've tried to uninstall it, as well as uninstall the entire USB tree...and reinstall & restart and still nothing
    i've tried to install a USB 2.0 update for XP SP1...nothing
    i tried a USB SIS patch...nothing
    Running short on troubleshooting ideas i'm about to throw this thing out the window. This really frustrates me because i used to work as an IT Professional (I guess i need to brush up my knowledge)
    any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just some specs on my pc if it helps...
    DELL DIMENSIONS 2400
    P4 1.8
    640MB PC133 RAM
    USB 2.0
    Windows XP PRO SP1 plus all microsoft updates

Welcome to Windrivers camachofc

When you removed it, did you remove it using the "safely remove hardware" icon in systray (next to the clock)?

First suggestion - with NO usb devices connected at all, boot to safe mode (f8) go into device manager and uninstall all your usb controllers and hubs. Shut down and restart (Do NOT connect any usb devices). Wait for windows to get fully to desktop. Check in device manager, has the ! cleared?

If so try the usb drive again. If not, repost here and tell us which motherboard chipset you have - look in ide ata/atapi controllers in device manager if you are not sure.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers camachofc

When you removed it, did you remove it using the "safely remove hardware" icon in systray (next to the clock)?

First suggestion - with NO usb devices connected at all, boot to safe mode (f8) go into device manager and uninstall all your usb controllers and hubs. Shut down and restart (Do NOT connect any usb devices). Wait for windows to get fully to desktop. Check in device manager, has the ! cleared?

If so try the usb drive again. If not, repost here and tell us which motherboard chipset you have - look in ide ata/atapi controllers in device manager if you are not sure.
    I did not remove it using "safely remove hardware" i never had before and it always worked....but now ???

I already tried your first suggestion and nothing...
    the ! appears when i plug the device in...it automatically tries to install it...it recognizes what it is....but won't complete the installation...

Under device manager that IDE ata/ atapi controller is:
    Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

Well I had a customer come to me with the same problem, she could use her USB drive on any other computer than hers. I saw that you could either have it USB powered or externally powered, via usb, PS/2, or electric outlet. I tried both USB and PS/2 they didn't work. But with it powered by an outlet it worked just fine, no more stupid errors in device manager. All I could figure is that the device wasn't getting enough juice to spin up the hard drive. So I guess goto radio shack and pick one up. Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing but it would work, also another suggestion if you are willing to try this out first, get an exernally powered USB 2.0 hub, if it don't work, you can always return it. Good Luck!
    Mess with the best, Die like the Rest.