Linksys USB wireless problem

Thread: Linksys USB wireless problem

Linksys USB wireless problem

To Keilaron:

It looks as if the module is loading but I can't really tell with out the full output of lsmod. Anyways try this:

At the command prompt type in iwconfig. What shows up? (Should be something like wlan0). If it does then try typing this: iwconfig wlan0 essid yourssidgoeshere

If you use wep then it would be: iwconfig wlan0 essid yourssidgoeshere enc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Then type iwconfig wlan0 to display the connection and you should see a signal level and the mac address of the ap that the adapter is associated to. Next type: dhcpcd wlan0 to grab an ip (it might be pump -i wlan0 so if it says dhcpcd not found then try pump).

If it says that iwconfig can not be found that means that the wireless tools are not installed and we'll have to go from there. Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Gollo; April 7th, 2004 at 02:02 PM.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Just an update:
    Sorry that I've been silent all this time!
    I've been really busy, as well as trying to make the new computer work properly... I had decided to install Linux on another computer (I had a 450 Mhz machine just lying around doing nothing -- why not use it instead of the piddly 90 Mhz?) and found that I couldn't even get past the installation: the computer would freeze while either formatting or copying >_<
    Anyway, it took me a while, but I found the cause and fixed it. I'll be trying to get the wireless work again soon, and I'll tell you how my attempts turn out.
    Thanks for your time and patience.

OK gals and guys, back in action.

I've gotten KNOPPIX to work, and it comes with the wireless modules that I need. Unfortunately I haven't managed to get it to work, possibly because of what I'm trying to do.

I want to set a static IP for my wireless (shouldn't be too hard...), join my AD-HOC network, and use WEP (preferably 128-bit, but 64-bit is okay too).

I'll need some tool to convert hex->oct too, unless I set myself a really simple key...

So... can anyone help?