Code 10 - This device will not start.

Thread: Code 10 - This device will not start.

Hybrid View

Question Code 10 - This device will not start.

I am attempting to install a D-link DFE530TX+ PCI card in my computer. Upon installation I receive a window that says an error has occurred during installation and the card will not configure. I also get a Code 10 - This device will not start in the device mgr. I have been to D-link's website and their driver file for WIN2K will not install. I have contacted there Tech support and they could not help. The card will not install properly using the CD that came with it. I have also tried an Intel card, a Linksys card and a 3COM card all with the same result. Each one gives me this same message. WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG HERE???? I can't believe putting in a card can be this difficult. I can't honestly say that each of the other cards besides the D-link is a working card, but I think they are. The D-link is brand new out of the box. This system has an Epox motherboard and an AMD 700 mghz chipset with 256 mg RAM.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    guzzler96

Welcome to Windrivers Guzzler!

I can't believe putting in a card can be this difficult
    I can

OK, to safe mode with you! Look under hidden devices in device manager, do you have other partially installed nics? Was this a replacement nic, or has this machine never had a nic before?

Code 10 means there aint enough room left address wise. Find those devices you don't use - like com1 and com2 (serialports) uninstall them in device manager, shut down and disable them in bios.

Which slot are you putting the cards in? Most slots share with onboard devices. You have to look at your manual to find the least shared slot.

There is some food for thought, post again when you have tried those.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Code 10

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will do as you have suggested and advise.
    I do seem to have one partially installed card that is called unknown device in the Device Manager and it won't let me uninstall it. Says the machine may need it to boot. NOT! This machine never had a NIC in it, but very well could have remnants of plenty by now. I have tried several slots at random, but will try to determine which is least used. Once again thanks and I will check back to see if this prompts further advice.

OK now you have a problem. You can either figure out which nic that was in hidden devices, put it back in the machine (in the slot it was in) and it will let you uninstall it.

Or you have to hack the reg in repair console - not for the faint hearted.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Code 10

Well if it's one thing I'm not is faint hearted, but I'm not totally ignorant either, so editing the register may be a last resort. If I put these cards in one at the time and try to uninstall, when I hit the right one it should uninstall, NO? If I have to edit the register do I just look for folders that pertain to the various cards I tried to install and delete them from the register? Once again thanks for the help. I will work on it some today and let you know how I progress.

Best guess? Look in the registry for keys under enum starting VEN... look in the folders for the description of the device. When you find one that you know is a nic, export the key (file export) and then delete the key.

This will stop windows trying to load that which isn't there.

I would do this in safe mode.

On the other hand, you could install over the top, which should sort things out, except you will have download all your windows updates again - but your programs already installed should be ok.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by guzzler96
    Well if it's one thing I'm not is faint hearted, but I'm not totally ignorant either, so editing the register may be a last resort. If I put these cards in one at the time and try to uninstall, when I hit the right one it should uninstall, NO? If I have to edit the register do I just look for folders that pertain to the various cards I tried to install and delete them from the register? Once again thanks for the help. I will work on it some today and let you know how I progress.
    ook gul .. it ur wish in case yu require mine help more then yu can mail me as i have already provided yu mine email i will definite try to help yu out. re yu talking to me if yes then reply with mine by mine name
    shimir

Quote Originally Posted by guzzler96
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I will do as you have suggested and advise.
    I do seem to have one partially installed card that is called unknown device in the Device Manager and it won't let me uninstall it. Says the machine may need it to boot. NOT! This machine never had a NIC in it, but very well could have remnants of plenty by now. I have tried several slots at random, but will try to determine which is least used. Once again thanks and I will check back to see if this prompts further advice.
    ok tell me if its comming for the reboot then yu can go for the reboot but do rem that yu have to uninstalled the device make the right click then yu have the option of uninstalled do it then shut down the computer take teh card out again put back in .......
    run the set of the CD so that the drivers are again installed in the computer ..........
    tell me the operatign system to me also .........
    shimir