Code 10 - This device will not start.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Code 10 - This device will not start.

Question Code 10 - This device will not start.

I am attempting to install a D-link DFE530TX+ PCI card in my computer. Upon installation I receive a window that says an error has occurred during installation and the card will not configure. I also get a Code 10 - This device will not start in the device mgr. I have been to D-link's website and their driver file for WIN2K will not install. I have contacted there Tech support and they could not help. The card will not install properly using the CD that came with it. I have also tried an Intel card, a Linksys card and a 3COM card all with the same result. Each one gives me this same message. WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG HERE???? I can't believe putting in a card can be this difficult. I can't honestly say that each of the other cards besides the D-link is a working card, but I think they are. The D-link is brand new out of the box. This system has an Epox motherboard and an AMD 700 mghz chipset with 256 mg RAM.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    guzzler96

Welcome to Windrivers Guzzler!

I can't believe putting in a card can be this difficult
    I can

OK, to safe mode with you! Look under hidden devices in device manager, do you have other partially installed nics? Was this a replacement nic, or has this machine never had a nic before?

Code 10 means there aint enough room left address wise. Find those devices you don't use - like com1 and com2 (serialports) uninstall them in device manager, shut down and disable them in bios.

Which slot are you putting the cards in? Most slots share with onboard devices. You have to look at your manual to find the least shared slot.

There is some food for thought, post again when you have tried those.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Code 10

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will do as you have suggested and advise.
    I do seem to have one partially installed card that is called unknown device in the Device Manager and it won't let me uninstall it. Says the machine may need it to boot. NOT! This machine never had a NIC in it, but very well could have remnants of plenty by now. I have tried several slots at random, but will try to determine which is least used. Once again thanks and I will check back to see if this prompts further advice.

OK now you have a problem. You can either figure out which nic that was in hidden devices, put it back in the machine (in the slot it was in) and it will let you uninstall it.

Or you have to hack the reg in repair console - not for the faint hearted.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Code 10

Well if it's one thing I'm not is faint hearted, but I'm not totally ignorant either, so editing the register may be a last resort. If I put these cards in one at the time and try to uninstall, when I hit the right one it should uninstall, NO? If I have to edit the register do I just look for folders that pertain to the various cards I tried to install and delete them from the register? Once again thanks for the help. I will work on it some today and let you know how I progress.

Best guess? Look in the registry for keys under enum starting VEN... look in the folders for the description of the device. When you find one that you know is a nic, export the key (file export) and then delete the key.

This will stop windows trying to load that which isn't there.

I would do this in safe mode.

On the other hand, you could install over the top, which should sort things out, except you will have download all your windows updates again - but your programs already installed should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Best guess? ..On the other hand, you could install over the top, which should sort things out, except you will have download all your windows updates again - but your programs already installed should be ok.
    So methinks avoid best guess ! .. The updates stay on your machine, once you've dialed up it should know its got them all & just repeat the patching so no huge download waits while it gets 70mb or whatever (I dunno why they didn't make it work offline or make a tool to pick up patches & repair)

Question Code 10

O.K. I went into the registry and did some looking around. Here's what I found.
    1) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , SYSTEM , CONTROL SET 1 and Control SET 2 , ENUM , PCI - I found (5) VEN entries with a total of (7) entries, [ (1) ] had three entries. All (7) entries were identical in CONTROL SET 1 and CONTROL SET 2.
    2) All these entries were for ethernet controllers.
    3) All the locations were for PCI 0. Which I think is the bottom most PCI slot in my computer.
    4) None of these ethernet controllers had any drivers installed.
    At this point I have not modified the registry, just looked.
    Now my question is this. Are these entries a result of all the failed attempts to install these various NIC cards I tried to put in??? If so, will it hurt anything to remove these entries from the registry??? Also when I attempted to disable COM1 and COM2 in the device mgr., that went fine. When I went into the BIOS I found the LPT&COM ports under Power Management and changed it from LPT&COM to LPT only. Saved an exited, but upon reboot COM ports were back?
    O.K. I am ready for the next round of suggestions.

Thanks again,
    guzzler96

XP has a file protection system and system restore. These helpfully put back that which it thinks you didn't mean to delete.

Two control sets are standard, to enable last good functions to work.

This is why I said export the key first. That way you can merge it back if necessary. Com ports - XP will "discover" regardless of bios - this is to do with ACPI and windows controlling the bios. This is a good thing, it means that acpi is working mostly properly. If you want to free up the comport resources, disable them in device manager and in bios.

The location should be PCI BUS - device - function
    On my machine PCIBUS 0 refers to onboard devices and cards plugged into the pci slots. PCI Bus 1 refers to the AGP. The only card I have plugged in is on device 10... it does not refer to the PCI slot position.

So to your question - yes they are what you consider to be failed attempts.

So you have a choice:
    Export those keys refering to nics and delete them making sure system restore is off and that you export them to a very easy place to find like c:\regback so in the worst case you can reimport them in repair console.
    Or
    Install over as I said before - oh yah - making sure you moved all the patches out of c:\windows so you can run them one by one afterwards without having to redownload.

It is your choice. Tinkering with the reg in this way I have always been "lucky" with and have rarely had to remerge a key.

Let us know which way you jump!

Question Code 10

You know I only briefly mentioned in the first post that the operating system was WIN2K. Well actually it's WIN2K PRO. Does that effect anything we talked about so far?

Also, do I need to export and then delete the keys from both CONTROL SETS??

A curiousity question: How many hours ahead of me are you? I am at GMT -6 HRS. Central Time - U.S.

Thanks,
    guzzler96

At this level, no, 2k and XP are pretty much the same. Yes, control 1, 2 and current.

Central or Mountain time

Central is 6 hours back from me.

Thumbs up Code 10

Central. Will report back later. Have a good evening.

Thanks,
    guzzler96

Thumbs down Code 10

Well that didn't take too long. Attempted to remove keys after saving them to folder and received the following:

ACCESS DENIED
    REGISTRY EDITOR COULD NOT DELETE THE KEY CURRENTLY SELECTED.
    THE KEY, OR ONE OF ITS SUBKEYS DOES NOT GIVE YOU DELETE
    ACCESS.

Received this on each of the (5) keys. Tried deleting main key and also expanded key and tried to delete subkeys first and received same ACCESS DENIED both ways. Phooey!!!!!!!!!

So does this mean I need to reload the operating system?????
    Never expected this much CRAP for a NIC CARD.

Thanks,
    guzzler96

OK use sysprep -clean Clears out all the critical hardware and resets it.

Post Code 10

O.K. Well I am off to see the Wizard. Will report back.

Thanks,
    guzzler96