Sharing ADSL between two computers

Thread: Sharing ADSL between two computers

Question Sharing ADSL between two computers

I have 2 PC's at home & I just wanted to know what would be the easiest & cheapest way for the 2 computers to be able to share an ADSL Internet connection (so they can both simultaneously access the internet)

One PC is running Win98 & the other one Win98se. Neither of them are networked, they are both stand alone workstations at the present moment.

I'm not keen on cabling as both the PC's are on different floors & at either end of the house, so it would have to be something wireless.

What exactly would I need? And what would I be looking at cost wise? Im in the UK

Thanks in advance

p.s. just a quick question......if the above option is out of my budget, I was thinking of just buying another ADSL modem (for around £30) and connecting that to the computer downstairs. I understand that this way only one PC will be able to connect to the internet at a time.........but I just wanted to know, would it cause a problem if I had 2 ADSL modems connected up to 2 different PC's in different parts of the house? Would I need to physically disconnect one Modem from the PC, if say I wanted the other PC to connect to the Internet? Or can both ADSL modems be attached to the PC's & obviously only one will be able to connect to the Internet at a time.

well all you really would need is one wireless cable/dsl router, and one wireless network card for your computer that isn't near the adsl modem. the one that is near the modem would just use a regular network cable from the router to the computer. not sure about prices for the UK. but newegg.com has a wireless routers that start at $35 US Dollars and up. and wireless network adapters starting at $17 US Dollars.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

Yes go the router route... sharing internet on 98se with 98 can be a frustrating exercise. I personally would NOT get a wireless/router/dsl modem, I would get a router/dsl modem and a separate wireless access point and wireless card.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yes go the router route... sharing internet on 98se with 98 can be a frustrating exercise. I personally would NOT get a wireless/router/dsl modem, I would get a router/dsl modem and a separate wireless access point and wireless card.
    Any particular reason why you would not get a wireless/router/dsl modem? and instead opt for a router/dsl modem with a separate wireless access point/card instead.

Would you say that out of the 2 options the first one would be the easiest & hassle free for someone who is running Win98 & Win98se on the 2 computers I want to share ADSL on.

You are forced to put the router/adsl modem near a phone point. This may not be the best place for the AP.

When windows networking is involved, there are no guarantees of hassle free. There are too many variables. If you don't want to learn about what you are attempting to do, then you need to get a professional in.

The router is always a better way to go. It means you do not have to keep one computer on to act as the gateway. A domestic router consumes a lot less power than a computer.... Routers are easier as a rule to setup and don't catch viruses which promptly screw up your connection.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question

Thanks for all the advice NooNoo & notorious_carl

I'm currently looking at picking up a wireless acceess point & wireless network card.

The card I have in mind is the Linksys USB (WUSB11). I'm thinking of ordering it from the US. But I just wanted to know if it will be compatiable here in the UK????

I checked the specs out and it say under channels :

* 11 Channels (US, Canada)
    * 13 Channels (Europe)
    * 14 Channels (Japan)

Does this mean that one bought from the US will not woke here? or are they all the same.

Why order from the us? The shipping will make it more expensive!

Mostly manufacturers make "global" drivers. If the linksys shipped in the states with only the 11 channels it would not be a problem here.

There are a gazillion uk sites that we work out cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Why order from the us? The shipping will make it more expensive!

Mostly manufacturers make "global" drivers. If the linksys shipped in the states with only the 11 channels it would not be a problem here.

There are a gazillion uk sites that we work out cheaper!
    It's just that I can pick up the Linksys WUSB11 from the US for $47 inc shipping (around £26.00). The cheapest I've seen it in the UK with shipping is just over £40.00

Which sites here in the UK would you recommend for networking stuff?

That would not include 17.5% VAT....or the £8 the post office will charge you for collecting the vat at your door. Been there, done that!

Which us online shop?

I shop at regularly
    dabs.com
    scan.co.uk
    savastore.com
    amazon.co.uk
    maplin.co.uk
    ebuyer.com

Bunch of other places for "one off offers"
    Last edited by NooNoo; May 3rd, 2004 at 02:49 AM.

Decided against the Linksys WUSB11 in the end.

Picked up a D-Link DSL-504 ADSL/Router & a Network card (along with cables) from a friend who no longer had any use for them

And purchased a Belkin Access Point & Belkin USB Wireless adapter from savastore.com.

Once it arrives I can have a go at putting it all together