Code 10 - This device will not start. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Code 10 - This device will not start.

guzzler96 = i am shimir here i am the TECHINCIAN FOR The linksys
    i think as to re having the code 10 as prob the what yu do .
    >> do the phisical connectivity again , restart the computer put the cd inside the computer again then reinstalled the device i do hope so yur prob will be solved man . not not then yu can again call me or mail me at mine mail [email protected]
    i will surely try to help yu
    bye
    shimir

Quote Originally Posted by guzzler96
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I will do as you have suggested and advise.
    I do seem to have one partially installed card that is called unknown device in the Device Manager and it won't let me uninstall it. Says the machine may need it to boot. NOT! This machine never had a NIC in it, but very well could have remnants of plenty by now. I have tried several slots at random, but will try to determine which is least used. Once again thanks and I will check back to see if this prompts further advice.
    ok tell me if its comming for the reboot then yu can go for the reboot but do rem that yu have to uninstalled the device make the right click then yu have the option of uninstalled do it then shut down the computer take teh card out again put back in .......
    run the set of the CD so that the drivers are again installed in the computer ..........
    tell me the operatign system to me also .........
    shimir

Thumbs up

Well if it's one thing I'm not is faint hearted, but I'm not totally ignorant either, so editing the register may be a last resort. If I put these cards in one at the time and try to uninstall, when I hit the right one it should uninstall, NO? If I have to edit the register do I just look for folders that pertain to the various cards I tried to install and delete them from the register? Once again thanks for the help. I will work on it some today and let you know how I progress.
    ook gul .. it ur wish in case yu require mine help more then yu can mail me as i have already provided yu mine email i will definite try to help yu out. re yu talking to me if yes then reply with mine by mine name
    shimir

shimir, thanks for the input, but I think you have misunderstood the problem... Guzzler does not know which slot or which card is now referenced. Windows is protecting the hardware as part of the critical startup hardware. Its not just a linksys card or a single installation.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Code 10

O.K. here we go with the Monday morning NIC card installation update. Friday afternoon I tried the sysprep and it required the installation CD, Computer was at work and the CD was at home of course, so I loaded her up and took her home. Had a little password issue that I could not overcome, so I formatted the drive and reloaded WIN2K Pro with a clean install. No biggie, because there wasn't much on this computer anyway.
    So all the entires in the registry are now gone. Tried to put the card in the computer to see if it might just find and install and I should be so lucky!
    I guess my question this A.M. is should I start back at step one of our conversation or is there a better approach at this point??

Thanks again,
    guzzler96

Question Code 10

I hope everybody out there didn't think this was a "Private Conversation"??? Haven't done anything since last post. I was hoping for a little more input and really didn't feel like getting frustrated again just yet. Suggestions please, if you have them.

Thanks,
    guzzler96

I hope everybody out there didn't think this was a "Private Conversation"??? Haven't done anything since last post. I was hoping for a little more input and really didn't feel like getting frustrated again just yet. Suggestions please, if you have them.

Thanks,
    guzzler96
    Err maybe they did ? .. so 'reviewing' all this lot ... I'll ask have you tried this card & no others except for vga present when installing ?

Each Pci slot has a range of allocatable IRQ's & memory ranges available to it. As cards get added it uses the 'shareable' IRQ's & memory first, ISA devices getting first pick & then pci & then agp ... some ranges just get 'stolen' by standard stuff like irq 14 is always an ide controller, unless your systems all scsi in which case it'll use irq 9 if acpi isn't on & 10 if not ...

The long & the short of it is that most stuff ends up sharing on IRQs 9,10,11 & its all controlled by acpi which comes from bios, so make sure you have the newest bios for your motherboard & when trying stuff like this all un-necessary devices & cards are off & 'removed' {both physically & as far as windoze knows} to free as many irq's as possible & thus sort out your 'sharing' woes which this seems to be. Turning ACPI on/off in bios 'decides' how it can share, so you might have to repeat with it both on & off as changing this in windows isn't so simple ..

After all that though there remains the possibility that bios just can't 'arbitrate' this particular kit combo & you can try until you are blue in the face ! .. then you need a new bios for your motherboard which shares 'right', a badly written driver by another manufacturer may be 'holding' supposedly free resources - sometimes you can't figure out why it won't & just have to accept it won't .. ..
    Last edited by confus-ed; April 17th, 2004 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks,
    guzzler96
    No but,

Tried to put the card in the computer to see if it might just find and install and I should be so lucky!
    Not exactly a question is it?

Having discussed the fact that you have to find the right slot and what the various problems are, you didn't seem to have taken it onboard.

From your description I have an image of you opening the computer, placing the card inside somewhere and closing it again.

How about telling us exactly what you did and what the system's reaction was to what you did?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Well, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. After many attempts to get this card to work, finally success is at hand. Thanks to all those who posted and tried to help.
    After trying (6) cards, all with the same result, Code 10 This device will not start, I got the last card I bought to work. The only way I could get this to work was to put the card in the computer, plug up the network cable and reinstall the operating system with the card already in and connected to the network. As I stepped thru the Windows setup, I setup the network connection as I went. When I got thru with the WIN2K PRO setup I was seeing everyone and everything was working fine.
    I might add that the (6) cards were of (5) different brands. They all did the same thing when trying to install them. In the process, besides posting here, I contacted the card mfg.'s, searched other forums and contacted my Motherboard mfg. all to no avail. Trying this the way I did was a last resort and I'm sure glad it worked.

Once again, THANKS, to all those who posted and tried to help.

guzzler96

guzzler:

The D-link DFE530TX is PnP compatible, so I don’t see why you would have to change anything in your BIOS except make sure PnP is enabled.

But if it’s any constellation to you, a few weeks ago I setup a wireless LAN consisting of 5 pc’s. I used all Linksys wireless WMP54G PCI cards. Installed 4 out of 5 NICs in a flash. One, older computer I might add was giving me the same problem you speak of “Error code 10, the device cannot start”.

The first thing I did was make sure there were enough resources available, and there was. As a matter of fact I installed 2 pci cards on top of it with no problem, just to prove I had enough resources available. I installed Microsoft’s latest service packages, still to no prevail the dreaded error code 10. Next I booted into safe mode went into device manager displayed all hidden devices and uninstalled everything. I moved my NIC around from 4 different PCI slots installing and uninstalling the NIC and I still had no luck installing this device. Next I backed up the clients data as a last resort and performed a clean install like you did and still couldnt get Windows to start the device.

Lastly, I called Linksys technical support, the technician on the phone told me to try different drivers from another cd that worked on the other computers (like I didn’t try this already) next he said it’s possible that the older motherboard could not support the NIC. It’s definitely a possibility that the motherboard or Microsoft can not support certain PCI devices. I feel like I have done everything (I know) except upgrade the BIOS, anyone’s input on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Vincent Sercia
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Vserrc1
    guzzler:

The D-link DFE530TX is PnP compatible, so I don’t see why you would have to change anything in your BIOS except make sure PnP is enabled. ..
    Have you never noticed anyone when talking about plug & play, 'accidentally' typing it as PLUG & PRAY !?!

Well that's what they should have called it !

Read my explanation above about 'slot shuffles' & how IRQ's & memory ranges are allocated based on slot & type of card .. & I'll expound a bit too ..

Resources in the bios arbitration process are given first to ISA devices, then PCI then AGP, each slot has a list of 'possibles' it can give out, so it goes through each slot looking at the type of card in it, when it finds two (or more) that want the same, that's when it asks ACPI which one or can they share - dependent on the pci specification the card is made to it can either share or not (Or it asks bios if ACPI is off & this is the only time having the plug & play entry on or off makes any difference).

Plug & pray is a 9x 'thing' - with w2k/xp able to address hardware direct like all NT based systems, it just doesn't apply.

Hi,

I too had to edit the registry and got denied when trying to delete a key.

You need to use regedt32, select the key you want to delete. Look on the toolbar for 'security' and set the permission for the key to full control.

You can then delete the key, needless to say you need admin rights on the machine.

Arrow

You need to use regedt32, select the key you want to delete. Look on the toolbar for 'security' and set the permission for the key to full control.

Good point,tommo666. When I tried to remove the registry entries and could not, this is what I forgot.

Question to vserrc1. How did you verify existence of enough resources??

Thanks,
    guzzler96

..Question to vserrc1. How did you verify existence of enough resources?? ..
    Well I ain't vserrc1 , but the point is you can't tell (well you can 'dead easy', open device manager, view resources by connection), but that unfortunately has no bearing on this 'what resources are available by slot' stuff .. putting cards in different slots means they can use different resources, but this isn't to do with any operating system, its to do with the design of your motherboard. Having free resources available is no guaranatee that your device can actually use it.

If manufacturers wrote propper mannuals (like they did many moons ago) you'd be able to look up just which slots had what resources available to them & make your best choice based on that & the cards requirements (also its drivers) - manufacturers now assume that all PCI devices are pci 2.2 compliant (they can share IRQ & memory 'regardless') well most of them that claim to be just aren't, they can only use certain combinations & because of that its entirely possible you get 'code 10' even when the required resources are apparently free as far as windows is concerned, the pci slot on the motherboard hasn't got those resources available to it - then you get to play 'slot shuffle' or change ACPI behaviour to make it behave ..