Installing Win 98 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Installing Win 98

Dudes and Dudets what the HELL!!!! Sav22 first you will need to go to http://www.bootdisk.com and down load the DOS - Windows 9X/Me/NT/2K/XP boot disk. It is the first down load on the site. Follow the direction to make a bootable floppy. Next put this Floppy in you’re A: drive and make sure that in your BIOS your computer is set to boot from the A: drive. Now boot from this floppy. When asked, select Start computer with CDROM support. This will bring you to an A:\ Prompt . type. Now type Format C:\ /s next you will see “ Warning all data on non-removable disk drive C:\ will be lost! Proceed with format (Y/N)?” hit the “Y” key and sit back and relax as all your troubles fade away. When this is done type C:\ this will take you to the Root of your hard drive. At the C:\ prompt type MD WIN98 and hit the enter key. Now type CD “WIN98” this will take you to the ROOT of your newly created WIN98 Directory. Type E:\ this will bring you to the ROOT of your CD ROM. Here you will type DIR. If this is your CDROM it will list like 9 different things. You should see a directory called “WIN98” At the command prompt type CD WIN98 This will put you in the root of the WIN98 directory of the CDROM. Here you will type “COPY . C:\.” (without the Quotes) Now you will see a lot of files being copied to the C drive. When this is done type C: this will take you to the command prompt at the C:WIN98\> here you will type setup. Then you will press the enter button to continue. The Windows setup will start and all will be well. The reason for all this set up is so that in the future when you install new hardware Windows will not ask you for the windows set up disk it will already know that windows was setup from the Local drive.

One last note NooNoo do you have any pictures yet that you can send me.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

see tech lounge mongo
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

FINALLY DID It!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mongo69
    Dudes and Dudets what the HELL!!!! Sav22 first you will need to go to http://www.bootdisk.com and down load the DOS - Windows 9X/Me/NT/2K/XP boot disk. It is the first down load on the site. Follow the direction to make a bootable floppy. Next put this Floppy in you’re A: drive and make sure that in your BIOS your computer is set to boot from the A: drive. Now boot from this floppy. When asked, select Start computer with CDROM support. This will bring you to an A:\ Prompt . type. Now type Format C:\ /s next you will see “ Warning all data on non-removable disk drive C:\ will be lost! Proceed with format (Y/N)?” hit the “Y” key and sit back and relax as all your troubles fade away. When this is done type C:\ this will take you to the Root of your hard drive. At the C:\ prompt type MD WIN98 and hit the enter key. Now type CD “WIN98” this will take you to the ROOT of your newly created WIN98 Directory. Type E:\ this will bring you to the ROOT of your CD ROM. Here you will type DIR. If this is your CDROM it will list like 9 different things. You should see a directory called “WIN98” At the command prompt type CD WIN98 This will put you in the root of the WIN98 directory of the CDROM. Here you will type “COPY . C:\.” (without the Quotes) Now you will see a lot of files being copied to the C drive. When this is done type C: this will take you to the command prompt at the C:WIN98\> here you will type setup. Then you will press the enter button to continue. The Windows setup will start and all will be well. The reason for all this set up is so that in the future when you install new hardware Windows will not ask you for the windows set up disk it will already know that windows was setup from the Local drive.

One last note NooNoo do you have any pictures yet that you can send me.
    THANX YOU!!!
    IT WORKED AND THANX TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED WHEN I WAS IN NEED!!!

load cdrom

I know I am late, but the best bootdisk for all the varying Windows operating systems is Madboot, get it gratis on the floppy, it will solve mostly everything and is much better than the Microsoft boot disks. Search on the web..for me it has been a godsend.
    Last edited by Legalegl; April 11th, 2004 at 12:30 AM.

for those interested and BIOS support boot from CD
    bootable CD creation:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

webhelpboard.com - free chat with professional.