Routine IT Tasks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Routine IT Tasks

Routine IT Tasks

Our consultant wants me to document all of our routine IT tasks for all of our companies. I got a pretty good list going of what to do and how often to do it, but I hate documenting stuff and I'm sure I'm missing standard IT things he'll be looking for.

I mean, if everyone could document everything they do, then we could all just get a book and be whatever we wanted.

Does anyone out there have anything they've done like this I could use as a guide? Anything online you know of that might help? I would appreciate it much.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

Why don't you start by providing the list you have, then we can add to it. You don't want us telling you stuff you already have writen down...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Why don't you start by providing the list you have, then we can add to it. You don't want us telling you stuff you already have writen down...
    Good idea, he did say he already has a list started!
    All our lives we sweat and slave, building for a shallow grave.

Quote Originally Posted by 3FS
    Good idea, he did say he already has a list started!
    Well ok...but it ain't much.

I got a lot of stuff about backups - always important.

-check logs weekly
    -clean drive monthly
    -replace tapes yearly
    etc.

Weekly:
    -Check server event logs
    -Check Antivirus reports, make sure updates are working

Monthly:
    ????

Semi-Annually:
    -Check disk space on server
    -Check & test server UPS

Yearly:
    ?????

You might add,

All other minor issues: Reboot!
    Tr!une

Postcount = Legit Postcount + 1
    100+ all tech, no WOTPP

the downloads section of Tech Republic is well worth a look. you need to register (free) to download stuff. The resource documents and templates and checklists section are probably where you want to browse.

I would stick with writing templates and checklists rather than step by step how-to's, not only to be cautious of 'writing yourself out of a job' but also avoiding alotta unnecessary work to have 'how to update virus definitions' or 'how to open event viewer'.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Depending on the backup drive you might not want to clean it monthly. Some backup drives are designed to ask for the cleaning tape only when they need it. Any more will ruin the heads.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Put fancy stuff in there:

Audit user permissions
    Perform defensive ports scans
    Check for firmware updates on routers
    Image server Hard Drive
    Create System Restore points
    Test server response times

and the more common:

Scandisk
    Defrag
    Adware removal
    Windows Update
    Compressed air cleaning of systems
    Printer aintainance
    User education

This document will be telling you boss how important you are to the company. He should read and think, "I'm glad we have Darkstar to do all this stuff."

You've seen Office Space. It's not good when consultants come in and tell you that you need to document your benefit to the company.

I would document every little thig I did and present it in the most concise and professional format I could. You want them to think it would be hard to find somene else who could be more thorough.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Depending on the backup drive you might not want to clean it monthly. Some backup drives are designed to ask for the cleaning tape only when they need it. Any more will ruin the heads.
    True, but there are some drives that require a cleaning after so many hours of use...typical small business, that's as often as once, even twice a week. Best bet is to determine what is required by the manufacturer of the drive...

Plan a disaster recovery drill yearly.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Plan a disaster recovery drill yearly.
    Amen. An untested backup solution is no good at all. You must not only peridically read and verify backup media but you should have a list of critical data and a schedule of restore tests for that data.

Ideally each backed up machine should also be the subject of a test rebuild on a separate hardware platform (perhaps a hot spare server) but that can take a great deal of time. Last company I worked for did an in place upgrade of a mail server using backups that had never been tested (this is 7 or 8 years back now). It turned out that none of the hidden files on the server had EVER been backed up and no one ever noticed. All of the mail stores were in files with the hidden attribute set. A simple comparison of the size of the backed up data against the amount of space in use on the server's hard drives would have highlighted the problem immediately. No one had ever thought to test or verify complete server backups though. Individual file restores were tested but not entire server restores.

As a result, the server was rebuilt in place, and all it's hard drives were overwritten. There was no data on the backups, going back into the history of the backups there never was a single successful backup. Half of the company email went bye bye. That was not good.

A backup test plan and verification process should definitely be part of your routine.
    Last edited by cisco2; April 13th, 2004 at 12:19 PM.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

All good ideas. Much appreciated.

And craigmodius, you said what I was thinking. I'm not writing for non-technical people so there's no need for a basic "click here" type of approach. I really think my boss is clueless and needs that in case I leave, but that's not my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmm33
    Put fancy stuff in there:

Audit user permissions
    Perform defensive ports scans
    Check for firmware updates on routers
    Image server Hard Drive
    Create System Restore points
    Test server response times

and the more common:

Scandisk
    Defrag
    Adware removal
    Windows Update
    Compressed air cleaning of systems
    Printer aintainance
    User education

This document will be telling you boss how important you are to the company. He should read and think, "I'm glad we have Darkstar to do all this stuff."

You've seen Office Space. It's not good when consultants come in and tell you that you need to document your benefit to the company.

I would document every little thig I did and present it in the most concise and professional format I could. You want them to think it would be hard to find somene else who could be more thorough.
    Also good ideas. Some questions:

-What do you use to audit user permissions. I think we need to do this.
    -Do you defrag your workstations or just your servers? How often?

Get with the general manager type person and determine what users and groups should have access to what resources on the network. Confirm user rights in Active Directory and also by going to workstations and testing. Try to organize the groups in a logical order if they are not already. Disable old accounts. Ensure that only the proper users have remote access. I don't know of any software that does this, you just have to do it manually.

I dont really work on networks big enough to do this, but it sounds important to the boss and consultants, so I would put it in your documentation.

I would recommend defrag the servers and workstations.

I was in a Dr.s office today. They where complaining about the server being slow. It had 400MB free space (18GB SCSI drive) and 53% fragmentation. Cleaned up and defraged and everything is running great. None of the workstations reported needing to be defragged but I did it anyway.

I would do it about once a month.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmm33
    Get with the general manager type person and determine what users and groups should have access to what resources on the network. Confirm user rights in Active Directory and also by going to workstations and testing. Try to organize the groups in a logical order if they are not already. Disable old accounts. Ensure that only the proper users have remote access. I don't know of any software that does this, you just have to do it manually.

I dont really work on networks big enough to do this, but it sounds important to the boss and consultants, so I would put it in your documentation.

I would recommend defrag the servers and workstations.

I was in a Dr.s office today. They where complaining about the server being slow. It had 400MB free space (18GB SCSI drive) and 53% fragmentation. Cleaned up and defraged and everything is running great. None of the workstations reported needing to be defragged but I did it anyway.

I would do it about once a month.
    Do you kick the users off for an hour while you defrag their workstations??