I have recently obtained a USB external caddy. The caddy is branded with the Hitachi name and states that its USB 2.0. I have installed a IBM Travelstar hard drive into the caddy and connected it to the USB socket on my PC. The PC is an IBM NetVist 6059-PCG running W2K SP4. Windows detects the new device and starts the install. Dring the process, it asks for the location of a number of files (for example; GENEUIDE.SYS, GENEUIDE.INF, DELUIDRV.EXE). I point the set-up to these files and it continues to the next missing file etc. Once I have completed this, it states that it was unable to complete the installation as no device driver was specified. In the device manager, it is has the yellow ! against it with error code 10 (this device cannot start).

I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing, but we always come to the same point. The confusing thing is that I have another of these USB devices (albeit another make/model) that works fine and worked fine on W2K SP3. I have tried installing another hard drive into the caddy but this gives the same result.

I dont think the PC supports USB 2.0 but I dont beleive that is the problem. I am worried that all my troubleshooting will affect the other USB hard drive caddy. Do I just bin the new one or can someone offer me a viable solution that is idiot proof (me being the idiot).

Any assistance would be appreciated (even if someone just confirms my suggestion).

Thanks