USB Mass storage device

Thread: USB Mass storage device

Unhappy USB Mass storage device

I have recently obtained a USB external caddy. The caddy is branded with the Hitachi name and states that its USB 2.0. I have installed a IBM Travelstar hard drive into the caddy and connected it to the USB socket on my PC. The PC is an IBM NetVist 6059-PCG running W2K SP4. Windows detects the new device and starts the install. Dring the process, it asks for the location of a number of files (for example; GENEUIDE.SYS, GENEUIDE.INF, DELUIDRV.EXE). I point the set-up to these files and it continues to the next missing file etc. Once I have completed this, it states that it was unable to complete the installation as no device driver was specified. In the device manager, it is has the yellow ! against it with error code 10 (this device cannot start).

I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing, but we always come to the same point. The confusing thing is that I have another of these USB devices (albeit another make/model) that works fine and worked fine on W2K SP3. I have tried installing another hard drive into the caddy but this gives the same result.

I dont think the PC supports USB 2.0 but I dont beleive that is the problem. I am worried that all my troubleshooting will affect the other USB hard drive caddy. Do I just bin the new one or can someone offer me a viable solution that is idiot proof (me being the idiot).

Any assistance would be appreciated (even if someone just confirms my suggestion).

Thanks

Welcome to Windrivers forum,
    First - you are not an Idiot - we all stumble upon computer problems on a daily basis.
    About the HDD caddy - I have 3 or 4 of them and they never gave me any problems. Try connecting this USB caddy to another computer (Preferably Based on WinXP Sp1 - This OS has a large DB of Drivers for attached storage).
    I don't think the problem is Originated on a Usb 1.1 on the computer (Whilist the USB on the caddy is USB 2.0). USB 2.0 Is fully comptible with Usb 1.1
    One last question - does the caddy has its own Power Source (AC adapter of some kind) ot it gets the power from the USB interface?
    If it is getting the power from the USB interface there could be a prolem of Insufficient AMP on your machine (It happend to me and I just connected it to an "Amplified" USB HUB).

I will be "lurking" here for your reply,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Many thanks for the reply Gabriel. I will try it on an XP machine later this week. In respect to the Caddies power supply, it does not have an external power supply but the lead splits into two USB connectors. I have tried plugging them in individually as well as togethur but I still get the same result.

Unhappy External HDD casing

I have similar problem, with external USB2.0 HDD casing. I put in a HD 40GB (unformatted) and plug in, the system detects, load driver but the moment I click on it (device mgr or file mgr) it would disconnect. The casing has external power source which I did plug it in.

I tried on WinXP 1.0, W2K SP4 as well as a Win98. For Win98, the product comes with a disk for installation but it still the same! I'm very frustated.

Need serious help. To date I'm not able to use the casing.

This may be so simple you will kick yourself.

The hard drive in the caddy - did you check the jumper position? It must be set to master with no slave or single.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

HHD caddy

Hi NooNoo, thanks for the feedback.

I did set the HDD with jumper on Master (but I'm not certain whether it is Single, so on).

Lately, I uploaded SP4 to Win2000 and retry the USB2.0 connection. This time the hDD has been formatted and data is copied into it before retrying. It connects and hold for a longer period, yet the same happen when I tried to access it.

On the Computer Info:

MS Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, SP4
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - 1.8GHz

In the other machines with Win98, it has not being resolved (the MOBO is a VIA chipset on AMD Athlon 1.8GHz, the driver shows up but the same happened - connect and disconnect after a short while. USBMan website did suggest VIA compatibility issue which I've not try; in future I would stick to Intel...and non-USB stuff).

The problem may be power management. You state there is no external powersupply which can also impact this problem.

In 2k you can tell it not to shut down the port if it thinks it's not in use.... not sure about 98 though.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

HDD ext caddy with power supply

It wasn't the power management. THere is an external powersupply which I did used.

I seems to be at wits end. I have exhausted all means. I even tried loading the Win98 driver on the W2k and it works momentarily for 20 mins or so (I did managed to copy some files across but not all. But soon after, it disconnects again. Any further second attempts it would not happen again).

This is one of those generic stuff, don't think I can get support from its manufacturer (A1Open, I can't find the site!)

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with XP Pro...

After many searches with no luck I finally found that Win XP set the drive letter for my external hard drive to the same as another already used one ie. a mapped network drive, cd drive, etc..

For win xp professional...

Go to control panel--Performance and Maintenance--Administrative Tools

Click on computer management--Storage--Disk Management

Hopefully you will see your external mass storage device. Right click on it and change the select to change the drive letter.

Hope that helps. Certainly would have saved me a bunch of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    This may be so simple you will kick yourself.

The hard drive in the caddy - did you check the jumper position? It must be set to master with no slave or single.
    I'm sorry for bumping this ancient thread. But if I did not stumble upon this I would have most likely never tried it. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by lilr0x; August 16th, 2005 at 05:46 AM.

My problem is litlle bit diffrent ( http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...980#post614980 but it is similary ) because of this massage poping up:
    The file"geneuide.sys" on USB Storage Driver Disc is needed.
    Any idea?

I am new to this and have read the posts but am still not getting results. I'll try to explain this best I can. I inadvertantly and prematurely deleted something from my Camera card therefore was going to retrieve it with a program, however the program will only retrieve from a card reader. I have one and haven't used it in a bit but I do know that because I am running XP that I do not need to load drivers as it should act as a plug n play device.....nope....not happening!(It did work before though) I plug it in...the new hardware wizard kicks in and if I go through the motions it tries to install a Mass USB storage driver and completely positively freezes up my system. I have spent hours upon hours reading up on this and it all comes down to the same thing that it should be plug n play. What am I missing? Should I have a download or an update or something that I don't know about that would make this compatiable?
    I go into the device manager and it shows the USB Controllers and "Flash Reader" but then under properties it says "No drivers are installed for this device." Which I understand I don't need? But how do I by pass all this and simply (yeah right..lol) plug it in and use it?
    Any help would be so appreciated as these pictures truly are irreplaceable and very sentimental. In the meantime I am trying not to delete ANYTHING from my system for fear of loosing those as well.
    Please Help!!

Thanks

Hi chargoldie, welcome to WinDrivers.

It is a bit confusing to add the same enquiry to a couple of old topics, but we'll try to help out...

What type of card and reader are you using? If the reader hasn't been used for some time, it is possible that it's an older unit that isn't fully compliant with XP's mass drive specification (unless it specifically claims it is in its documentation).

Hi Platypus.....thanks so much for your response. Sorry when I say it hasnt been used I should ave specifiedd its only really been months now but int his day and agemonths is years with technology. I bought a new computer and have not put it on here yet however it worked fine on my old one and my OS and everything remain the same? How do I know if its "compliant with XP's mass drive specification'?
    I welcome any ideas!!

Thanks

Resolved here.