Weird modem behaviour

Thread: Weird modem behaviour

Weird modem behaviour

I have to go look at this new machine I built a little while ago today. I saw it once before and thought I solved the problem. To the problem; well, the modem just all of a sudden decides it won't dial the last number in the phone number (it's WinXP BTW) and it sounds as if it's dialing correctly but skips the last number. If I add a second identical digit at the end of the phone number I get to dial 7 numbers but it's always a "BEEP BEEP, this phone number is not in service" even though it sounds correct and I know the number is a dialin number for an ISP I work for. I removed the device and let it redetect and it worked fine. I rebooted the machine and it worked fine again and figured it was fine. It could be that it dials fine once but then fubars up afterwards... I don't know. I've never seen behaviour like this. I don't have the machine in frot of me but ANY ideas in the next hour or so would be greatly appreciated!!!
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I have to go look at this new machine I built a little while ago today. I saw it once before and thought I solved the problem. To the problem; well, the modem just all of a sudden decides it won't dial the last number in the phone number (it's WinXP BTW) and it sounds as if it's dialing correctly but skips the last number. If I add a second identical digit at the end of the phone number I get to dial 7 numbers but it's always a "BEEP BEEP, this phone number is not in service" even though it sounds correct and I know the number is a dialin number for an ISP I work for. I removed the device and let it redetect and it worked fine. I rebooted the machine and it worked fine again and figured it was fine. It could be that it dials fine once but then fubars up afterwards... I don't know. I've never seen behaviour like this. I don't have the machine in frot of me but ANY ideas in the next hour or so would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Wierd, sounds like it could be fun to diagnose. I would definitely axe the dialup connection and recreate a new one if you haven't already. Good luck and let us know what (if anything) you find out.
    All our lives we sweat and slave, building for a shallow grave.

Quote Originally Posted by 3FS
    Wierd, sounds like it could be fun to diagnose. I would definitely axe the dialup connection and recreate a new one if you haven't already. Good luck and let us know what (if anything) you find out.
    He's with an ISP called Auracom and he experienced the problem. So I created a Rivernet (the isp I work at) connection and it did the exact same thing.

Thinking back I had problems setting up a modem on the machine in the first place. I orginally tried an AOpen SVV modem but the computer would restart itself going into windows. So I figure the modem was fubared and I put in a cheapy Phoebe Micro Intel based modem and it seemed fine... dialed out fine in the shop.

I don't think I'm gonna mess around with many settings. I'm just going to throw in a USR $90 modem and hopefully it'll work.... but my gut instinct tells me it's something within windows that's messing it up...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

if you think is windows the problem why not test that out take the moden out and test it on another machine or try Microsoft Virtual PC 2004

Quote Originally Posted by natcom
    if you think is windows the problem why not test that out take the moden out and test it on another machine or try Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
    Specifically because there are no other machines out there and he lives in a rural area. BUT.... I did get a good look at it and I tried the USR modem and it doesn't connect at all. Even the fax machine isn't working properly so I told him it's most likely the phone line. (I hear some static on his line.) He told me a guy in the congregation (it's a church , did some work for him running another phone line. I asked him if he was a technician of some sort and he said no. We're getting a Bell guy to come check it out. But specifically I still don't understand WTF is up with the modem dialing only 6 numbers. Never did it for me. I'll update when I find out more... Any ideas are still welcome as the modem propblem hasn't really been addressed yet...

Its not the modem, its the phone line, static means not interference necessarily but voltage problems. I hope that modem is going via a surge protector.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Its not the modem, its the phone line, static means not interference necessarily but voltage problems. I hope that modem is going via a surge protector.
    You mean the fact the modem only dials six numbers can be attributed to line voltage? I assume that would be a low voltage situation? I don't know much about phone systems....

I think that modem is getting feedback off the phone circuit.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."