GF 6800 Ultra - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GF 6800 Ultra

I'm sure just like last time ATI will release a much better one at about the same time nvidia releases it, just like what happened with the original FX.

Quote Originally Posted by jmani
    Went to the nvidia LAN, launch on tuesday. Played ut2004 and battlefield till my eyes bleed. Was a great way to spend a sick day.

Any way the new card is beyond the pale. I will pay the $400 they are asking for it in 6 weeks.
    Patience...wait for ATI to beat the stuffing out of the 6800 Ultra...
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by jmani
    Went to the nvidia LAN, launch on tuesday. Played ut2004 and battlefield till my eyes bleed. Was a great way to spend a sick day.

Any way the new card is beyond the pale. I will pay the $400 they are asking for it in 6 weeks.
    Sorry to hear you were sick.

Hope you're feeling better now.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

To those of you ready to camp out in front of your store to get your hands on one of these cards - be warned! The first barrier on your way to graphics ecstasy is the power requirement calling for a PSU with at least 480Watts. In effect, its not so much the power rating that may prove problematic - it may turn out harder to find a power supply with enough ATX power cables for use with the graphics card! Of course, true enthusiasts won't be deterred, and case modders will welcome the new challenge.

But we have some grievances as well. For one thing, there's the disappointing shader quality in FarCry. NVIDIA should get this problem ironed out as soon as possible, as it leaves a bitter aftertaste in our mouths despite (or because of) the otherwise excellent benchmark results. The new video processor also requires some more work through drivers - the GeForce 5950 Ultra with no video processor onboard offers a lower CPU utilization than the GeForce 6800 Ultra with video processor. Still, neither of these points spoil the fun, and NVIDIA should have ample time to resolve these issues before the retail boards launch. Small details like the last-minute change to the fan voltage on our review card leave us with the impression that this may be a little while off anyway. But who knows - let's just wait and see.
    Need to point out the negatives too although... they don't seem so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin999
    Need to point out the negatives too although... they don't seem so bad.
    Tom has always had a thing for Nvidea products and something against ATI... Never could understand that

I know what it is.

He's one of those rednecks who hates canucks!

He'd pick anything but a product from a canadian company, even if it limped along and emitted microwaves into his eyes.

I knew thare was something wrong with him.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    Tom has always had a thing for Nvidea products and something against ATI... Never could understand that
    Actually I read good stuff on ATI at that site, its just where its geared too. Nvidia is a gaming card. Always has been, it wont change. ATI is graphics and video. Thats the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi
    Actually I read good stuff on ATI at that site, its just where its geared too. Nvidia is a gaming card. Always has been, it wont change. ATI is graphics and video. Thats the way it is.
    But ATI's are faster in games 99% of the time and the image quality is better.....

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    But ATI's are faster in games 99% of the time and the image quality is better.....
    Agreed, ATI is the best for gaming and video and graphics.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    <rant> My god, people will find anything they can to put down the top dog wont they? Reminds me of the AMD fanboys bitching about everything Intel. The card is big so what! You shouldnt use the slot next to your GPU anway since they share an IRQ and also there is that little heat problem. Do you really need 6 PCI slots anyway? I think most people that give this (and other Nvidia) products hell just want something to bitch about </rant off>
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I have a friend that thought nvidia was the best and he would never even consider an ATI product, he got the latest and greatest geforce FX, a few weeks later he saw a Radeon 9800 and couldnt believe how much faster it was and how much the graphics were better. Since then he only buys ATI video cards.

They are a lot better than nvidia, and I have an nvidia chipset on my mobo and never had so many driver problems in my life, including a complete system crash where the PC wouldnt boot at all, that was my first and last nvidia product, and I only got it because nvidia is the only one that makes a sound chip with a dolby digital encoder.

Seems to me really,,That buying a really high end video card at this point in time would be kind of a waste,,
    What With PCI Express just around the corner,, And Both the top video card makers ALREADY working on Much faster Ultra-high bandwidth PCI Express Video Cards,, The current cards will be like playing Pong on an old atari lol.
    AGP will soon follow the path of ISA,,, Sad,, But True
    Besides,,, lol,, DoomIII is still 2 years away right???
    Trout

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    I know what it is.

He's one of those rednecks who hates canucks!

He'd pick anything but a product from a canadian company, even if it limped along and emitted microwaves into his eyes.
    I'm guessing you don't read his site often. For the last three to six months now he's been recommending ATI over nVidia because of the price and performance points. This review is the first good review he's given nVidia in some time.

Question

If I recall, the monster Voodoo card at least had an external power brick instead of demanding two discrete leads from your PSU.

Although your lights would probably dim every time you booted with a 6800 if it had a power brick...

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    I'm guessing you don't read his site often. For the last three to six months now he's been recommending ATI over nVidia because of the price and performance points. This review is the first good review he's given nVidia in some time.
    My last post was writen with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I've been a fan of Tom's since 1998 about.