GF 6800 Ultra
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GF 6800 Ultra

GF 6800 Ultra

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2023

What the heck is that?

So who's going to spring for a 480W PSU and sacrifice a PCI slot to handle this monster?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2023

What the heck is that?

So who's going to spring for a 480W PSU and sacrifice a PCI slot to handle this monster?
    Me, unless I get a deal on an ATI to sway me away from my precious Nvidia.

And the picture is of the optional Dust Buster attachement for cleaning your car and hard to reach places

Both major competitors cards work best with a 2-slot cooling solution. Once BTX becomes standard, it won't be an issue as GPUs will face up.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I didn't see a price. What's one of these things go for...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I didn't see a price. What's one of these things go for...?
    I've heard $399 and $499.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I already have heating problems, I can't imagine what this would do to the internal case temp.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

It would've been a better design idea to at least have somewhere for the heat to vent out to instead of just being recycled inside the case. They should've designed it to vent through a PCI slot, I mean hell, you're already losing that slot anyway because of the large fan.
    *The official eating utensil of all WinDrivers members*

If nVidia doesn't do it, you can rest assured that some other manufacturers will (Asus, Gainward, etc.)

Does this remind any one else of the last days of 3Dfx.
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Now that you mention it, no.

3Dfx went down because of management problems, not because they were trying to one-up the competition, as I recall.

I miss those guys.

The original FX took 2 slots like that (at least some of them), my friend that was a hardcore nvidia fan and always said ati sucked, got one, and when he saw his friends ATI 9800 radeon, he couldnt believe how much better the graphics and performance was. He never bought an nvidia product again, and months ago it would have been impossible to just imagine him buying an ATI card.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Now that you mention it, no.

3Dfx went down because of management problems, not because they were trying to one-up the competition, as I recall.

I miss those guys.
    I was refering to the card design (MASSIVE, HUGE, BIG A$$) but Nvidea bought 3Dfx so I wonder if that may be effecting the current designs ??
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    I was refering to the card design (MASSIVE, HUGE, BIG A$$) but Nvidea bought 3Dfx so I wonder if that may be effecting the current designs ??
    Not too far from the truth:

Last edited by a d e p t; April 15th, 2004 at 12:54 PM.

Tom had this to say about it:

What NVIDIA has achieved with the GeForce 6800 Ultra makes even experienced graphics cards editors shake their head in amazement and wonder. The performance this card offers will sweep graphics cards enthusiasts (the author included) off their feet and carry them off into a state of ecstasy in which they can only gape in awe at the sight of these simply amazing benchmark results - Freezinassin! Compared to the GeForce 6800 Ultra, the former high-end models Radeon 9800XT and FX 5950 Ultra often seem like nothing more than cheap mainstream cards...

Once you step back and start breathing normally again, you'll also see that, in addition to the outstanding performance, the new card finally offers very good FSAA quality as well as outstanding texture filtering, which will satisfy even quality purists, thanks to its ability to turn off the trilinear optimizations. Technologically, NVIDIA also takes the lead, owing to a full DirectX 9.0c and ShaderModel 3.0 implementation with unrestricted 32 bit floating point performance.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/index.html

Went to the nvidia LAN, launch on tuesday. Played ut2004 and battlefield till my eyes bleed. Was a great way to spend a sick day.

Any way the new card is beyond the pale. I will pay the $400 they are asking for it in 6 weeks.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.