uninstalling motherboard sound devices

Thread: uninstalling motherboard sound devices

uninstalling motherboard sound devices

How can I uninstall all of my sound devices that are build directly into the motherboard? I want to be able to add an add on sound card and not use the one built into the motherboard.

I can think of two ways off the bat. The first would be to see if your soundcard drivers have an uninstall mechanism. If so, use that. If not and this is Win98, use Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel.

A third way would be to use an uninstaller utility. You can sample free ones on CNET.

However, to install your new soundcard you need to disable your 'onboard' soundcard from the Bios first. Once this is done your onboard soundcard should be irrelevant and you can install your new one, hopefully, without error.

BTW, what is your operating system? and What kind of computer are we dealing with> ie. Gateway, Compaq, Dell make & Model; and cpu speed? And what kind of onboard sound?
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 14th, 2004 at 06:48 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Thank you for replying so quickly.
    Ok I went and disabled the onboard audio device on BIOS (I had forgotten about that, thank you)
    Next, I dont see any uninstall features for the drivers, where would I look for this, other than Add/Remove programs feature, because I don't see the C-Media audio option to uninstall, nor the drivers to uninstall?
    I'll look for an uninstall program on cnet.
    I had a quickclean on my computer earlier, but lost everything when I messed up my computer, having to reformat my hard drive which started this whole mess in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Rein
    Thank you for replying so quickly.
    Ok I went and disabled the onboard audio device on BIOS (I had forgotten about that, thank you)
    Next, I dont see any uninstall features for the drivers, where would I look for this, other than Add/Remove programs feature, because I don't see the C-Media audio option to uninstall, nor the drivers to uninstall?
    I'll look for an uninstall program on cnet.
    I had a quickclean on my computer earlier, but lost everything when I messed up my computer, having to reformat my hard drive which started this whole mess in the first place
    BTW, what operating system, soundcard, and motherboard are you using?

If you've disabled onboard sound then you should be able to install your new soundcard. Be sure that you have the drivers standing by for them. I wouldn't do this however until you've answered the above questions.

If this is Win98, and it sounds like it is, then I would install the dirvers using the Add/Remove feature in the control panel. (or better, go on to CNET and get an installation monitor)

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 14th, 2004 at 07:18 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

I am using Windows XP
    Soundcard is Creative Soundblaster Audigy
    motherboard is http://www.ecsusa.com/products/p4s5a_v5.html
    Ok now that I disabled the onboard audio in bios should I uninstall and reinstall creative? Because doing that alone didnt work.
    I still dont even think I was able to completely uninstall the program and drivers that got automatically installed with the motherboards audio.

You can try now installing your new sound card. I'm unfamiliar with XP because I use win98, but doesn't XP have an 'auto-revert' function in case you make a mistake? Do you know how to use it?

If not, I would download and uninstaller like these two below: and monitor the installation before I went ahead. That way, you could uninstall it if anything went wrong.

http://www.superdownloads.co.uk/downloads-cat115.html
    Bouncy Bouncy

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Xp has a restore function built in. If you disabled the audio in the bios, you're good. With the computer off, install the new sound card. Start the computer, follow the prompts from Windows. It will ask for the drivers. Insert the CD in the drive and point to it. Done......

I GOT IT WORKINGGGGGG!!!!!
    Thank you thank you thank you!
    Thank you times a million!
    I just had to disable it on BIOS
    disable the cmedia devices in device manager because I couldnt find out how to uninstall them.. lol oh well.. it works for now
    then uninstall and reinstall creative
    and Tada!
    Thanks again, I really do appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rein
    I GOT IT WORKINGGGGGG!!!!!
    Thank you thank you thank you!
    Thank you times a million!
    I just had to disable it on BIOS
    disable the cmedia devices in device manager because I couldnt find out how to uninstall them.. lol oh well.. it works for now
    then uninstall and reinstall creative
    and Tada!
    Thanks again, I really do appreciate it!
    Once again the Gods of Windrivers have smiled upon you......

You're very welcome....
    Last edited by Orangeman; April 15th, 2004 at 12:55 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

lol Trust me, its quite a pleasant change!
    I dont think I've ever actually gotten my probelm fixed from going to a computer related forum, my problems are always way beyond most people and they just give me the most simplest of answers so, im happier than hell lol

You can actually have both onboard sound and pci sound card working simultaneously. If the bios is fully acpi compliant there should not be a problem. I have done this where the onboard sound output is horrible but the line in is better than the pci card...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

*sigh*
    so I turned on my computer this afternoon and I once again have no sound, after all of that.
    What luck!?!
    Now what? lol
    *kicks computer*

ok, what does device manager say?
    control panel, multimedia, what is the playback and record devices?

*NooNoo ducks and says, you turn your speakers on?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."