CD ROM will not load any CD to my D drive

Thread: CD ROM will not load any CD to my D drive

CD ROM will not load any CD to my D drive

Hi.

I am having a problem getting my CD ROM to read any CD I put in it, ie music, Excell, Keyboard software disk, etc.

Get message that install file for win98SE is missing, that is needed to enable CD ROM to be able to load it to my D drive. The only prolem is that it does not identify name of install file or where I can go to download it.

Have been surfing the internet for information, including Microsoft website with negative results. Would you happen to know what this file is and where I can go to download it?

Ralph

Welcome to Windrivers wiseguy

Could you post the EXACT message please?
    Also look in device manager, is there any ! against the cd rom or the ide controllers?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers wiseguy

Could you post the EXACT message please?
    Also look in device manager, is there any ! against the cd rom or the ide controllers?

Not error message when trying to use CD ROM. I received error message when I went into add/remove and clicked on install. The message said that there was a file missing that was needed to load and install from CD ROM to D drive. After making several more attempts, it said that the file was either missing or corupt.

I think I have identified the file to be: Flashpt.sys This file can be found in the win98 boot disk, but have been unable to extract it. This I found by getting in the boot disk help files. Still haven't found a way to load this on my computer.

As to device manage, I have checked everythng in there from the CD ROM to System devices and no ! OR ? To be found. This really has me stumped.

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Ralph

OK, this a common misconception.

CDRoms, CDRWs, DVDroms, DVDrws do NOT need drivers in the sense you mean. They are ALL IDE devices and as such are run by the same drivers that drive your hard drives.

By trying to add drivers to a cd/dvd device you are making it worse.

So lets start at the beginning. What is the problem with the cd/dvd device?

Does it show up in device manager?

Does it get detected when the machine starts?

If you use a boot diskette for 98, is it able to start the machine with cdrom support?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, this a common misconception.

CDRoms, CDRWs, DVDroms, DVDrws do NOT need drivers in the sense you mean. They are ALL IDE devices and as such are run by the same drivers that drive your hard drives. ok will forget this

By trying to add drivers to a cd/dvd device you are making it worse.
    understood

So lets start at the beginning. What is the problem with the cd/dvd device?
    when puting any CD inro the CD ROM it does not load onto D drive. Get message it is not ready and it shows 2 options, retry and cancel.

Does it show up in device manager?
    When I got to device manager, it shows ATAPI 44X CD ROM and nothing else, no ! oe ?, same with everyting else except for unknown device has ?. but I belive that is for my USB port for my web cam, that is next project to fix.

Does it get detected when the machine starts?
    No!

If you use a boot diskette for 98, is it able to start the machine with cdrom support?
    No!

Ralph

How long has this been going on, has the cdrom ever worked?

The ? may well affected the cdrom, since the usb is part of the chipset drivers as is the ide.

Having said that, if the cd rom won't run in dos either, then it points to a hardware setup or failure.

How long has this been going on, has the cdrom ever worked?

lol! Yes it worked, at 10:am, went to court from !!:00am until 12:00pm. When I tried to go online, my isp server was down. After attending to that, I tried to load software (CD disk) for my new keyboard and it did not work. That's when the problem started. That took place Wed. morning and hasen't worked since.

The ? may well affected the cdrom, since the usb is part of the chipset drivers as is the ide.

If that is the case, then I will try to fix that and see if that is what is causing the problem with CD ROM.

Having said that, if the cd rom won't run in dos either, then it points to a hardware setup or failure.
    Could be, but can't really even install win again because of not being able to use the CD ROM for reading disk.

If you think of anything else, I will check back later, in the meantime I will keep searhing.

Thanks for trying.

Ralph

So the thing to do is put your cdrom in another system and see if it works there. If so, it is something in your hardware or bios setup that is causing the problem, if not, well at least they are very cheap now.

Cd Rom

So the thing to do is put your cdrom in another system and see if it works there. If so, it is something in your hardware or bios setup that is causing the problem, if not, well at least they are very cheap now.
    Ok, now how do I put cdrom into another system? And how cheap and where?

OK... seems to me you need to go to your local computer shop and have them test it and replace it. If you want to get a feel for the price of a standard cdrom drive, www.newegg.com