indixing eating up HD space - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: indixing eating up HD space

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    So you have a big bunch of fragmented files, and defrag didn't work. I assume since you are a programmer, you know to run defrag in safe mode with all unnecessary services turned off in order to access as many as possible locked files..and if defrag isnt defragmenting these files, the defrag report will tell you exactly what they are so you can delete them manually..

And when you ran chkdsk..(not scandisk in xp) you did it with the /f switch to force repairs

And you have cleaned out everything from the prefetch file

your swap file is really 1.2 gb?

btw, Ya-Know..I think he's referring to disk indexing..an xp service designed to speed up searches.
    Bingo, disk indexing, that's exactly what I am talking about. The service has been disabled, etc. Sorry if I had left some confusion. However, I have been avoiding going into safe mode and defrag from there. Safe mode has a bad habit of messing up my desktop. Will give that a try when I get home from work.
    If speed kills, then I'm already dead

Disk Indexing, I don't see. I see Indexing service...

And I am still wondering why, of 40+ PC's that I have here running 2k or XP, plus the ones at home, this service is off and set to manual by default...I know that I didn't turn them off, and I loaded every single one of them.

Is it because they are all on a domain and yours is setup as a workgroup???

Quote Originally Posted by Momoman907
    Bingo, disk indexing, that's exactly what I am talking about. The service has been disabled, etc. Sorry if I had left some confusion. However, I have been avoiding going into safe mode and defrag from there. Safe mode has a bad habit of messing up my desktop. Will give that a try when I get home from work.
    Check your Temporary Internet Files folders. Just clearing them is not enough (they do not clear). To delete their contents do: RMDIR /s "<DriveLetter>:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" at the CMD prompt. Do this for all user profiles as well. Also, do a RMDIR /s "<DriveLetter>:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" Then while you are at it do a RMDIR /s "<DriveLetter>:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temp" to remove the Temp files do this on all user profiles as well. (THE QUOTES ARE PART OF THE COMMANDS). Be very careful with this command there is no going back. Then change the maximum amount of space for the Temporary Internet files to 10MB in Internet Options on all user profiles.

By default my Temporary Internet Files was set to 1355MB!!! I do not use IE anymore so I set the cache to 2MB just for Windows Update.

You have probably already done this but, check to make sure that Allow Indexing is unchecked it the Properties for each drive letter in My Computer. When it asks to Confirm Changes say Apply changes to all sub folders. This can take a long time depending on the amount of files on you drive.

Last options that I can think of right now:
    You can do a search for files >10MB and see if you can find the offending file(s).

There may be a Hibernation file in your Root directory Turn off Hibernation in Power Options (unless you use it). This one usually is only as big as the amount of memory you have.

Swap file may be Corrupt, turn off the swap, reboot, turn it back on.

Check for $NtUninstallQ######$ folders in the Windows directory (these are the uninstalls for all those Windows Updates) they can be deleted as long as you don't plan to uninstall one of them.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Vip2; April 16th, 2004 at 11:08 AM.

Exclamation Uhh..did you know...

Momoman907 I don't want to come across wrong but since I am replying to your post based on the info you have posted. And you know we techs are always trying to diagnose with a crystal ball when it's not in front of us. You had mentioned earlier that your drives are NTFS is that correct? Craigmodius touched on this a little earlier but do you realize that by using NTFS, you have a certain overhead that the filesystem itself takes when the drive is partitioned initially? So you really NEVER get that advertised size for actual use. If you go into "My Computer" and look at the properties of that drive, the size it reports as "capacity" is just that, what is left that can be used AFTER the filesystem overhead. This amount is exponential to the actual overall physical hard drive size. A simple 40 Gig uses somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 Gigs. I have a Seagate 120Gig that is formated NTFS and I only have 111 Gigs usable space (120-9=111 Gigs). I just purchased a Maxtor 250Gig on Tuesday and formated it and only have about 230 Gigs usable (250-19=231 Gigs). Believe me I was upset over those 19 Gigs after paying close to $200 for that drive!! So for your 80 Gig drive/s, the space you are missing (8 Gigs is it??) sounds close to correct. I hope that is your case and not some hidden M$ thing.

Odiin

Quote Originally Posted by 0diin1
    Momoman907 I don't want to come across wrong but since I am replying to your post based on the info you have posted. And you know we techs are always trying to diagnose with a crystal ball when it's not in front of us. You had mentioned earlier that your drives are NTFS is that correct? Craigmodius touched on this a little earlier but do you realize that by using NTFS, you have a certain overhead that the filesystem itself takes when the drive is partitioned initially? So you really NEVER get that advertised size for actual use. If you go into "My Computer" and look at the properties of that drive, the size it reports as "capacity" is just that, what is left that can be used AFTER the filesystem overhead. This amount is exponential to the actual overall physical hard drive size. A simple 40 Gig uses somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 Gigs. I have a Seagate 120Gig that is formated NTFS and I only have 111 Gigs usable space (120-9=111 Gigs). I just purchased a Maxtor 250Gig on Tuesday and formated it and only have about 230 Gigs usable (250-19=231 Gigs). Believe me I was upset over those 19 Gigs after paying close to $200 for that drive!! So for your 80 Gig drive/s, the space you are missing (8 Gigs is it??) sounds close to correct. I hope that is your case and not some hidden M$ thing.

Odiin
    First, thank you to everyone as I know you are all trying to help. The only thing I haven't removed is the uninstall files. And yes, maybe I should as I am pretty sure I'll never uninstall any of those. But they would of course show up as used space.

0diin1, the first computer I fixed was an 8086, actual, versus physical has been around a long long time. We're not talking a little space missing here. We're not talking purchasing an 80 gig HD and being silly enough to wonder why it does not format to 80 gig, about 76 gig or so. Going from memory, this is what I get when I do properties on my C:\ partition.

Size 15.2 gig
    Used space 5.1 gig
    Free 2.15 gig

You see, I cannot regain access to almost 8+ gig of space available on my C:\ partition. If I ever track down what's occupying that 8 gig. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

There are a few suggestions here worth taking a shot at and of course, more investigation. And I know it's a total Bch to try and resolve a problem when not at the scene of the crime. I'm sure patience will prevail and this will be tracked down.

And I should add. The only reason I am concerned about this is I figured 15 gig would be plenty for all those Updates and patches that have been rolling off the good ole MS presses. With SP2, not to far off. You get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by 0diin1

Odiin
    Partially true but remember that companies define a byte as 1000 not 1024 when quoting space on their drives, so, a 250MB drive is really only a ~244MB drive. Its the similar thing with CRT monitors and the tube size vs. the visible size (a 15" monitor but you can only see 13.5").

The rest of the space goes to clusters. Think of clusters as little boxes. Each box can only have one file in it. If a file is to big to fit in that box it will spread itself to another box and another until it is completely stored. If a file is too small for the box the rest of the space in the box is unusable so the next file takes up a new empty box.

If you have 512 byte clusters a 1 byte or even a 0 byte file will take 512 bytes of space so a bunch of these files can take a lot of space.

NTFS, if I remember correctly, calls these Allocation Units and has a choice of 512 bytes 1024 bytes 2048 bytes or 4096 bytes. IMO it is best to pick the lowest number possible when formatting a drive.

Banned
    First, thank you to everyone as I know you are all trying to help. The only thing I haven't removed is the uninstall files. And yes, maybe I should as I am pretty sure I'll never uninstall any of those. But they would of course show up as used space.

0diin1, the first computer I fixed was an 8086, actual, versus physical has been around a long long time. We're not talking a little space missing here. We're not talking purchasing an 80 gig HD and being silly enough to wonder why it does not format to 80 gig, about 76 gig or so. Going from memory, this is what I get when I do properties on my C:\ partition.

Size 15.2 gig
    Used space 5.1 gig
    Free 2.15 gig

You see, I cannot regain access to almost 8+ gig of space available on my C:\ partition. If I ever track down what's occupying that 8 gig. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

There are a few suggestions here worth taking a shot at and of course, more investigation. And I know it's a total Bch to try and resolve a problem when not at the scene of the crime. I'm sure patience will prevail and this will be tracked down.

And I should add. The only reason I am concerned about this is I figured 15 gig would be plenty for all those Updates and patches that have been rolling off the good ole MS presses. With SP2, not to far off. You get the picture.
    get yer sp2 here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...p2preview.mspx

Vip2 brings up a very valid point about the cluster size. You have partition magic. If I recall, you can run it and it will tell you what the Allocated unit size (cluster size) is. I am curious as to what you have going there, perhaps you are using an excessively large size, and losing it to a bunch of miniature files that are taking up a very small amount of each of these clusters. That said, I think PM has the ability to resize this...but man what a can of worms that will be...doing it to a system partition that is…

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Vip2 brings up a very valid point about the cluster size. You have partition magic. If I recall, you can run it and it will tell you what the Allocated unit size (cluster size) is. I am curious as to what you have going there, perhaps you are using an excessively large size, and losing it to a bunch of miniature files that are taking up a very small amount of each of these clusters. That said, I think PM has the ability to resize this...but man what a can of worms that will be...doing it to a system partition that is…
    Once again going by memory, I'm 99.9% sure I am using 4K clusters. And I have in the past used PM to resize a system partition without issue. And for the record, not on this install. Pm is pretty safe, but with any tool of this type, extreme care and caution is needed, as well use only when absolutely necessary.

Once again going by memory, I'm 99.9% sure I am using 4K clusters. And I have in the past used PM to resize a system partition without issue. And for the record, not on this install. Pm is pretty safe, but with any tool of this type, extreme care and caution is needed, as well use only when absolutely necessary.
    And the answer to the magic question, "where has all my free space gone"? What is "CLDMA.LOG = 6.21gig"

Did a search for files greater than one gig and bingo.

Thank you everyone for your efforts. I hope someday I can contribute here in the same way.

Banned
    And the answer to the magic question, "where has all my free space gone"? What is "CLDMA.LOG = 6.21gig"

Did a search for files greater than one gig and bingo.

Thank you everyone for your efforts. I hope someday I can contribute here in the same way.
    googled from another site
    It is a file of diagnotic generated by Power DVD. In my opinion you can throw it, but I can be mistaken. You also can re-elect it and test Power DVD and see what occurs. You can also write with the company to announce your problem to them

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/c...aq.jsp?ID=1233 bottom of page

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    googled from another site
    It is a file of diagnotic generated by Power DVD. In my opinion you can throw it, but I can be mistaken. You also can re-elect it and test Power DVD and see what occurs. You can also write with the company to announce your problem to them

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/c...aq.jsp?ID=1233 bottom of page
    Found that link as well, already toasted the log file as I rarely use PowerDVD. Just feels good to have found where that space had gone and got it back.

Found that link as well, already toasted the log file as I rarely use PowerDVD. Just feels good to have found where that space had gone and got it back.
    Next time...I hate to do this to you, but you need to not think you know everything. Several people told you to search the hard drive for large amounts of data, I know I did at some point. You could have solved this problem a long time ago if you trusted someone else’s instinct…

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Next time...I hate to do this to you, but you need to not think you know everything. Several people told you to search the hard drive for large amounts of data, I know I did at some point. You could have solved this problem a long time ago if you trusted someone else’s instinct…
    Check the dates and times. I was replying from work and had to wait until I got home to do a check by file size. I did just that, the evening you posted. Chill a bit and remember people have lives beyond the computer. I did the check, found the issue, defragged, and proceeded to do work around teh house and spend time with my wife. The next day I posted success, and what the issue was.

Sorry, I don't have time to check the dates. My life is too important too...