Asus WL-107g PC Card Code 10

Thread: Asus WL-107g PC Card Code 10

Asus WL-107g PC Card Code 10

Hi

I have a Amitech 4802 Laptop (AMD 64) running XP (Service Pack 1) with built in LAN and have bought a Asus WL-107g PC Card Wireless LAN. The Card is detected fine, but when drivers are installed it says the card cannot start and a Code 10.

I have tried uninstalling my built in LAN, disabling it and have looked for newer drivers. Nothing helps.

Does anyone have any tips (I saw the previous Code 10 thread, but could not find anything useful)

Cheers

Kenneth

Welcome to Windrivers Cyberdog.

Code 10 means there is not enough resources free to enable the device to start.

This can be because the bios is not fully acpi compliant or that you simply have run out of space.

It could also be that the drivers require a particular configuration that xp cannot allow.

Was the laptop supplied with xp?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi Thanks for the welcome

The machine has plenty of space. I disabled printer port in BIOS then did a complete recovery but have the same problem. So I can't see where the resource problem should be. Perhaps the card only uses a specific address or something. Card is XP compliant (XP specific drivers)

The machine is brand new AMD Athlon 64 based and originally supplied with XP Home Sp1.

Any tips?

Update: Tried the card in a HP Pavillion zx5042ea running XP Home with built in wlan, Lan and modem and the card worked a charm. Can't seem to get it to work in my machine though

Tried disabling internal lan, modem and printer port on my machine, then reinstalled card with no result.

Help..
    Kenneth
    Last edited by Cyberdog; April 19th, 2004 at 05:21 AM.

If you open the resources tab for the card, does it show a conflict?

You could also try updating the drivers for your cardbus controller.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    If you open the resources tab for the card, does it show a conflict?

You could also try updating the drivers for your cardbus controller.
    No resources as the card is not available. I have now taken the Mini PCI WLAN card from the earlier mentioned HP Pavillion and mounted in my machine and that also works fine. Windows detects and installes it and it functions without a glitch.

I can't undrestand what the problem might be..

I will look for cardbus controller drivers, but I think I have the latest version.

Kenneth

On the resources tab, have you tried unchecking the box for "use automatic settings" and trying some of the other configurations in the "Setting based on:" pull down? Also, in device manager, what does it say under the computer heading? It should have some variant of ACPI.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I have a similar problem with the same Asus wl-107g pcmcia card.

My card is not recognised at all by the "found new hardware" wizard on insertion.

If I force an install via device manager and select the location for the driver, it instals the card but with the error "Device Cannot Start (Code 10).

I've also loaded the latest cardbus drivers for my laptop (Medion).

I have been able to try out the Asus card in an IBM thinkpad and it was recognised, installed, and working in minutes, so it's certainly a problem with the Medion/ENE CB1410 Cardbus Controller mix.

Not sure what to try next.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
    John.

Welcome to Windrivers John. We need to know the specific Medion model you have, as well as what version of Windows and service pack level.

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 1

Medion 6488
    Pentium 4 2.6Ghz
    512Mb RAM

I've also been doing a little more research and have found an article on Microsofts KB concerning an update to mf.sys.

I'm not sure if the Asus wl-107g counts as a multi function card though, so I'm not sure if the MS KB article applies. In any event the link on the KB only takes you to a contact page for Microsoft and not the driver itself.

I've pasted the XP Event Viewer error for the Asus card below:-

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Pcmcia
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10
    Date: 07/06/2004
    Time: 22:36:35
    User: N/A
    Computer: CYBERMAXX
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 10 ) in Source ( Pcmcia ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Pcmcia0.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 06 c0 .......À
    0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0028: 00 00 00 00 ....

I hope the above helps

Regards
    John.

Managed to dig out an old laptop drive and installed it in my Medion laptop. Conducted a fresh installation of XP Home 2002 SP1.

Plugged in the Asus card, and it just locks up XP, can't even do a Ctrl Alt Del.

I'm going to return the Asus card to the supplier for a refund.

I'll have to conduct some more research into other wireless cards before my next purchase ;-(

Regards
    John.