help on install win98 driver for Dell USB memory key?

Thread: help on install win98 driver for Dell USB memory key?

Question help on install win98 driver for Dell USB memory key?

I bought a Dell USB 128MB memory key recently. It works fine on my XP machine. However, when I tried to make it work on my Win98 machine, I run into trouble.

Here is what I've done:
    I've downloaded a Win98 driver from http://www.memorykeytools.com/win98.asp as suggested in Dell resource CD, unzipped the file into 4 files Eula.txt, Lexarpd.pdr, LexarUSB.inf, Lexarusb.sys.

Then in "Add New Hardware", when I try to install the driver, I used browse to point to the folder that contains the unzipped files, the file "LexarUSB.inf" was automated selected and when I press ok, I received the error message "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Has anyone encounter similar problem before? I'd be grateful for any help.

Welcome to windrivers sue. If you take a glance at the forums on dell's web site, a lot of people seem to have the same problem. Apparently dell jobs out these usb keys to different vendors and yours is not a lexar. Another user posted that their's was made by M-systems and that this driver worked for them: http://www.diskonkey.com/soft_win98.asp. See if you can determine the manufacturer of your key.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thumbs up Thanks, it works now

Thanks, hudsonsmith,

I've downloaded the driver you mentioned, and it works fine now.

Thanks again.

De nada
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    De nada
    Hudsonsmith -
    You are my new best friend! After two futile hours of searching Dell's website, downloading their memory-whatever-driver and then the Lexar driver that was supposed to work I FINALLY found your message to Sue Sue. Now I can open the files I brought home from work.

Dell needs serious help! It should not have been that hard to use a simple plug-in memory device.

I'm so grateful!

Your welcome. And welcome to windrivers.

OMG Thanks

Wow, thanks a lot. I have been searching for a very long time for something to make the new dell USB Keys work.

I originally got one about one year ago. It must have been a Lexar, 'cause the one from memorykeytools.com worked for it. But my mom recently got a newer one, not Lexar.

I've been searching off and on for about a month now always coming up with the same crap.

I tried memoryketools.com. I tried using the WinXP driver. (Apparently XP uses .sys files, whereas older OSes use .inf files for drivers). I actually found a .inf version of the XP .sys file, and it came close to working. Lol, but no long term luck.

Needless to say much grief was resolved because of this post. I only wish this stuff was more widely known... *Ahem*by Dell*Ahem*

Windows 98 is such a common (and good actually, SE anyway) platform, I can't believe they don't put a little more effort into its support. You would think that if someone like me can find the answer browsing the web, then a gazillion-dollar coproration would be able to find the answer as well.

Anyway, much thanks.

== Matt
    Last edited by msing; August 13th, 2004 at 08:35 PM.

Glad to be of help. And welcome to windrivers.

Dell USB Diver for Win98

I have just found your site. I have the same problem of Driver for Win98 and I tried http://www.diskonkey.com/soft_win98.asp. and it worked first time. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Welcome to windrivers sue. If you take a glance at the forums on dell's web site, a lot of people seem to have the same problem. Apparently dell jobs out these usb keys to different vendors and yours is not a lexar. Another user posted that their's was made by M-systems and that this driver worked for them: http://www.diskonkey.com/soft_win98.asp. See if you can determine the manufacturer of your key.
    [FONT=Tahoma]

Thank you so much for this advice. I was very frustrated with trying to install drivers for my new Dell memory key and this solution worked wonderfully (it just so happened that my Memory Key was manufactured by M-Systems). Now it is fully functional on my Windows 98 computer.

Not Working For Me

Hey, I have a Compaq with Win 98 and I got a 128 mb USB key from Dell with my new system, i used the website mentioned here and installed it on my Win 98 comp and still no go. Anyone have any ideas, do I need to do anything more?