USB Root Hub problem

Thread: USB Root Hub problem

USB Root Hub problem

The PC I'm talking about is not mine, and I have to rest on what I remember, so I apologize for any vagueness in advance.

Windows 98 based PC (IBM Aptiva, old AMD K6 -powered) has problems with several (all?) peripheral devices. Latest is a USB printer by EPSON. The Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation mark over the USB Root Hub. I can't remember the detailed info about what the DM informs to be wrong (and I'm not sure about the proper translation as the error message is in Finnish), but as I recall it, USB Root Hub has been disabled because of several failed attempts of... what ever it was. Something about transmission or moving. It was quite a vague term, I'm sure about it, but it was something about transfering something. (I really apologize this...)
    It tells me to check the cabling, the devices, and then reboot.

This happens immediately after the printer is turned on. Before this event there's no exclamation mark, and the Root Hub seems to be working fine. After the exclamation mark appears, the device has to be removed in order for it to appear as working again. I've tried both of the USB ports. In BIOS there's not much to configure. Only options about USB are the two of enabling USB and setting it to work in a traditional mode.

And also, with the USB Root Hub the device manager shows a device named ALI PCI to USB or something. Could it be to blame?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that to some point USB worked fine. Once, however, after plugging in a digital camera (which had worked normally before) just was not shown as a removable mass media storage device as it had been shown before.

This explanation is all I can come up with, so no wonder if it's of no use.

All help is welcome.
    Last edited by parsifal; May 16th, 2004 at 01:48 PM.

We really need to know more specifics about the computer, either the motherboard make and model or the particular Aptiva model #. The problem is likely related to the chipset drivers, but we can't determine what drivers you need until we determine what the chipset is first.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thats is exactly the culprit ALI PCI to US
    You need to download and install the ali chipset drivers for your particular system
    http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/drivers.php
    But as Hudson said we need the exact chipset off the motherboard.
    That can be found out using the Aida32 program avaliable here
    http://www.majorgeek.com/esselbachfp...a089e94b7b6b55
    Last edited by Ferrit; May 16th, 2004 at 02:09 PM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ok. I think I can handle it myself now that I know it is possibly related to a chipset problem. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get a chance to do so.

Thank you!!!