USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device on 2.0 Port Uses 1.1

Thread: USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device on 2.0 Port Uses 1.1

Unhappy USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device on 2.0 Port Uses 1.1

Hi,

I have a new USB Maxtor 160 MB Drive I attached to an older Server running Windows 2000 Server SP 4, I bought a new Belkin USB 2.0 5 Port PCI Card an put it into the system, I installed the driver and it happily comes up. In Device Manager, I can see the two sets of devices called Universal Serial Bus controllers. The second of this shows the Belkin USB 2.0 High Speed Host Controller and under it, USB 2.0 Root Hub Device.

On the first I have two listings of NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller, then I see USB Mass Storage Device, then two listing for USB Root Hub.

The Mass Storage Device shows up under the NEC Controller, which is the existing controller built into the mother board.

I have gone into the Bios and disabled he USB Controller, to no avail. I cannot get the USB Mass Storage Device to hook up to the 2.0 hub, and yes I have it hooked into the 5 port PCI device.

I have tried disabling and uninstalling the USB controller drivers from the 1.1 Controller in the device manager, but the system always reinstalls in on reboot. Maxtor appears not to have a drivers specifially for Windows 2.0.

I can still copy stuff but it is unbelievably slow. I have a 28 gig set of files I need to mover there on a regular basis. On 1.1 it takes ±5 hours.

BTW, I have tested this drive on a newer system with onboard 2.0 ports and it flys.

According to Belkin:
    I got and tried to install the USB 2.0 drivers but my card still will only work as a USB 1.x card. What can I do to fix this?

Go here and download the instruction manual for the card: http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=

In the instructions it talks about different date codes on the card and how you need a specific date code or higher for it to work otherwise you need to run the firmware update for the card. Follow the instructions to resolve this problem.

If you are running Win 2000 or Win XP and you have one of the older date code cards you will need to either perform the update on a Win98 or Win ME machine or contact us for a replacement to get the latest date code card.
    My USB 2.0 Hub does not work at USB 2.0 speeds on the USB 2.0 card, why is that?

The original versions of the USB 2.0 card drivers did not have support for USB 2.0 hubs. You can now update the driver for the USB 2.0 card and the USB 2.0 hub will work. To get the latest driver go here: http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

And,
    My device requires a Universal Host Controller, will this card work for my USB device?

If your USB device specifically requires a USB Universal Host Controller then it may not work with our card. Our USB PCI cards use the OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface) type of controller.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Angry

I am having the same problem, and I am rapidly concluding that USB 2.0 cards are a bit of a waste of time. The quote from the Belkin page is nice, I found that too. But what they say is garbage. There's nothing about firmware or date codes in the manual!

I have a generic NEC-chipped USB 2.0 PCI card, and I can't get anything more that 1.1 (full speed) out of it under Win ME (we have to use a legacy DOS application ). The Maxtor One Touch HD (a hi-speed device that runs at 26MB/s on a new PC WINXP with USB on the mainboard) is only connected at 'full' speed, and runs at a maximum of 11MB/s. The real speed is around 3MB/s though.The 28Gb in 5 hours sounds familiar! Even though 'device manager' tells me that the NEC EHCI is installed and working correctly, SiSoft SANDRA lets me know the truth. It is really an OHCI, and that is what the MAXTOR drive is connected to, at 'full speed'.

I have tried all kinds of partial and full re-installs, and I have tried the card in an new XP machine and a similar old ME machine. The card worked fine in XP but not on the ME machine. I have taken the newest drivers from the Belkin page (they are appropriate for *any* 5 port NEC USB 2.0 PCI card I guess). Windows ME always manages to install either the drivers for the onboard USB (1.1 as the machine is 2001 vintage) or another NEC OHCI. This seems to be the reason for the slow speed. Annoyingly, the drivers are universally supplied as an executable, there is no opportunity to directly update them via the device manager. Not that this is likely to work.

I thought that buying a Belkin card would solve my problems, but it seems that this is a more fundamental problem.

Firewire anybody?