K7S5A won't shutdown total lockup

Thread: K7S5A won't shutdown total lockup

K7S5A won't shutdown total lockup

Hi all
    sorry my first post is a plea for help.

I have swopped a K7S5A mobo to a new case for a friend
    It now won't shut down. (It boots perfectly after scandisk)

It goes to a light blue clear screen and freezes totally. No cntrl-alt-del even so I can't see whats running.

I have loaded Win98se over the top but no improvement.I have now spent over 12 hours on this and I'm desperate for any help

I can't even get into safemode for a Step by step load of drivers because it won't accept F8 and I don't know of any other way in ?

I cannot even format this drive because
    the mobo install disk half way through installing the drivers asks me for the `OS path' ? I haven't a clue what it needs have tried D:\drive and precopy etc but just says `INVALID PATH' and aborts the drivers
    Can someone tell me the exact path this piece of **** requires so I can try a format

Welcome to Windrivers peanut1

Is the windows 98se cd you have bootable? Have you tried booting from cd?

Have you got a boot diskette? It will run the cd for you.

the path is X:\win98
    where X: is the drive letter of your cdrom drive.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers peanut1

Is the windows 98se cd you have bootable? Have you tried booting from cd?

Have you got a boot diskette? It will run the cd for you.

the path is X:\win98
    where X: is the drive letter of your cdrom drive.
    Hi NooNoo
    I don't have any problem booting It boots perfectly every time.
    The problem is it won't shut down It locks up completely.
    There is no problem loading Windows98se as I have already tried this but no improvement.
    I have checked out countless sites on this problem including the K7S5A site but no good

When using the motherboard drivers installation CD disk halfway through I am asked to type the path I have tried directing it to the D or E drive but says invalid path.

I have a feeling it is asking for the path to the files that are preloaded to the C drive during Setup. Trouble is I am not sure where these files are put?

have you installed the win 98 se shutdown suplement patch? if not try that.
    here is the link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...SE/Default.asp

and the problem is it only that cd or all. if it is all cd's try swapping it with another if it is just that cd maybe that disk is bad

Quote Originally Posted by peanut1
    Hi NooNoo

When using the motherboard drivers installation CD disk halfway through I am asked to type the path I have tried directing it to the D or E drive but says invalid path.

I have a feeling it is asking for the path to the files that are preloaded to the C drive during Setup. Trouble is I am not sure where these files are put?
    OK, this is probably the os hunting for bits it expects to find. Since this is a via based board, your best best is to go to www.viaarena.com link on the left to drivers and get the hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. As this is an older one, I think you want the 4.43 version.... but check against your chipset and the instructions there to make sure. Down load those, transfer them to this errr machine and double click the file, it should run straight through from the hard drive.

Have you managed to load any other drivers?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i may be wrong, but isn't the K7S5A a SIS based board?
    take care and tempt not the fates

YES! The K7S5A is SiS-based. I am using two right now (one at work, one at home). If you're not using the onboard ethernet, disable it in BIOS. I had no end of trouble with the one at work during setup until I installed the LAN driver.

Also, since a "load-over" was mentioned, I suspect there may be leftovers from the previous install. Boot the computer into safe mode, go to the device manager and remove any double entries and entries for hardware no longer in the system.

The best thing would be to wipe the hard drive and start with a fresh OS installation, since this was already considered "not an option", you may be stuck taking it to a local shop for an OS install. From the problems descibed earlier, you may have a faded Win98 CD or a failing CD drive.

EDIT:
    In re-reading the post, I see that you are unable to get into safe mode. If the system is not responding to the keyboard at POST, you may have a bad keyboard or something on the back of the motherboard may be shorting against the case. It may be a good idea to re-check your mounting arrangement.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Zerotech; May 5th, 2004 at 11:39 AM.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

aaaahhhhh bleh... where is my coffee? www.sis.com.tw for the mobo drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Zerotech
    EDIT:
    In re-reading the post, I see that you are unable to get into safe mode. If the system is not responding to the keyboard at POST, you may have a bad keyboard or something on the back of the motherboard may be shorting against the case. It may be a good idea to re-check your mounting arrangement.

Hope this helps.
    ECS... have a thing where if you have the floppy cable on backwards the keyboard doesn't work....really!

Besides software issues, it could be also problem with hardware... I have fixed the same motherboard (were about 10 bad capacitors onboard)... Works fine now...
    Make sure you don't have them like on the picture below:

Exclamation

Ouch, Ruslan! Hope my K7S5A doesn't die that death!

Smile

1. check plug on back of harddrive and motherboard (ribbon)unplug and replug.and power plug.make sure you ground yourself to case.

2.ask yourself what have I just Installed over? os?/ what size hard drive?
    60gig 80 gig?100gig? /make? -samsung?maxtor?ibm?

3.unplug and make sure the motherboard is not grounded,you may have to take it out again to check,please ground yourself or you will damage the mb.

let me know if this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by peanut1
    Hi all
    sorry my first post is a plea for help.

I have swopped a K7S5A mobo to a new case for a friend
    It now won't shut down. (It boots perfectly after scandisk)

It goes to a light blue clear screen and freezes totally. No cntrl-alt-del even so I can't see whats running.

I have loaded Win98se over the top but no improvement.I have now spent over 12 hours on this and I'm desperate for any help

I can't even get into safemode for a Step by step load of drivers because it won't accept F8 and I don't know of any other way in ?

I cannot even format this drive because
    the mobo install disk half way through installing the drivers asks me for the `OS path' ? I haven't a clue what it needs have tried D:\drive and precopy etc but just says `INVALID PATH' and aborts the drivers
    Can someone tell me the exact path this piece of **** requires so I can try a format

Make sure there is plenty of air flow around the chipset (sounds stupid I know) but I have seen simular issues occur, also, does the keyboard work at all, or is it just the f8 key?
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.