Any device in USB ports causes 98SE to freeze on splash screen..

Thread: Any device in USB ports causes 98SE to freeze on splash screen..

Any device in USB ports causes 98SE to freeze on splash screen..

Everything was fine until I tried to load a Coolpix 3100 USB digital camera onto the system. I got the drivers from the internet but I don't think they installed properly as the camera still wouldn't work.

Anyway, now the system is freezing on the splash screen but only if there is a USB device plugged in! I have uninstalled all USB drivers from the Device Manager and reloaded but still the problem occurs.

Stange thing is, the USB devices I use (Modem and scanner) work fine when I plug them in after bootup, but it is infuriating to plug them in and out everytime the machine is shutdown/startup.

Any ideas?

Welcome to Windrivers johndeevoy

What chipset is your motherboard?

Have you done all the windows updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I dont know! Its a computer at work and I don't really want to have to open up the machine as Im sure its not a hardware problem.

You think trying some Windows updates might help?

I've seen the problem on Win98SE before, but don't know of any solutions other than reloading the OS then crossing your fingers. I had a Win98SE box, connected a new scanner and got a blue screen on boot. Tried different drivers and different scanners - blue screens. I eventually loaded Win2000 on a different drive on the same box and everything including the scanner works when booting to Win2000. On the rare occasion when I boot to Win98SE, I have to unplug the USB scanner first. My personal opinion is that Win98SE was a big step down in quality from Win95, USB was new, and there is probably some obscure incompatibility with some Windows, IE or other update or other driver. Most Win98SE boxes can handle Win2000. Upgrading is a pain, but well worth it. Consider it if you can. If you have the option to avoid USB with parallel or serial port connections, those are more reliable in Win98SE.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeevoy
    I dont know! Its a computer at work and I don't really want to have to open up the machine as Im sure its not a hardware problem.

You think trying some Windows updates might help?
    If it is a work computer, then you should not be tinkering. Have you reported it to your IT dept or person responsible?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."